The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
Loyalty is Just a Word…Sort Of
- It’s the mistake fare that just won’t go away! First Trevor wrote about it…then Wandering Aramean discussed the United “fare deal,” and offers a lot of insight, unlike most folks who just reference the single DOT regulation. Deals We Like also wrote an insightful piece offering hope on the fare. We want to know: what’s your take on the United “mistake fare” situation?
- Loyalty Traveler shares Hyatt Gold Passport member statistics – pretty insightful. The biggest takeaway: Joe & Trevor’s expendable income is keeping Hyatt well in business.
- File this under “developing” but Southwest says that soon your Rapid Rewards Points won’t have a fixed value. Travel Summary reports as of April 17, 2015, some tickets will cost more, depending on time, destination, and other factors. In our opinion, they provide the absolute minimum detail, and we hope to see more soon. Here is Southwest’s statement on the possible “devaluation.”
Counting Up The Points
- Chasing the Points continues to press on giftcard reselling. This latest development is making Trevor want to dip his toes in the giftcard reselling waters … but he’s waiting for some great AMEX Syncs to really be able to make it to his high level for pricing (without losing a whole lot).
- Free-quent Flyer Book updates us on some common manufactured spending techniques. The most important thing to know: don’t buy Amex Gift Cards for more than $2,000, otherwise you might miss out on the portal bonus.
- Looking for a place to spend your money? Why not the new SkyMall! The man taking it over gives us an idea of what the new catalog may look like. Sorry, no more Bigfoot garden statues.
- From Travel Pirates: airports that offer free city tours. Although we’ve not had the chance to take any, Trevor has attempted the Singapore tour a couple of times. Alas, the schedule just never worked out. The others are equally as intriguing!
- One of our loyal readers (we have a few of them) submitted an interesting guide to having fun on the Greek island of Zante. In case you were curious…now you know. And knowing is half the battle.
- If you really need to get away, but don’t know how you’ll make it work: Giddy For Points has a list of travel-related contests you can enter today!
A Note About Travel Safety
- If you haven’t read the story just yet: Lucky at One Mile at a Time recently visited Barcelona with his mom, who it seems was followed and robbed. That’s too simplistic, so we suggest you read the entire story from the beginning. There are sketchy people out there, be vigilant, especially when you travel.
- Another interesting safety situation happened to Points Summary, when he lost his seat assignment to a Federal Air Marshal. Definitely an interesting read.
- On a side note, Joe does write about Travel Safety over at About.com – and understands the need to create an emergency kit while traveling, and what to do if a passport is lost or stolen.