YTD Spend 2016 vs 2015

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I finally got around to checking my spend using Mint, and ran a quick and dirty this year vs last analysis. It seems that despite it being the end of days, things aren’t that bad.

Year on Year spend

A couple of notes:

I don’t resell. I know it is fantastic, but I’ve decided to focus on other things. For example, I recently bought a course online in order to gain another professional designation. Real spend, an increase in outflow, and with a future recurring ROI.

For MS, I only bought giftcards once this year to max out an EDP $6K. Total monthly MS has certainly dropped, though it was never very time consuming, I’m hoping to bring it under 30 mins a month going forward.

Does it matter?

I was thinking to granulate the chart into real vs ms spend since my ‘real real’ spend (personal spending) is very low. However, I don’t see a huge value in tagging everything to achieve that. Further, the limitation to earning is what you do with the funds.

The charts show spend, but they don’t show what was earned (at what multiplier) or how they were burned. These double leverage points change a month like April with a $33K spend into anything from $660 gross to 165000 ultimate rewards redeemed at 4 cents each for $6600 in freee travel. It also doesn’t show how many min spends were met on the way there, some months might include 100K of points earned at $6K in spend.

And then does the earning and burning even matter if the results were not spent wisely – what if my $6600 in travel was spent on the plane and to the Park Hyatt somewhere where I ordered nothing but Cheese Burgers?

The whole inflow/leverage/outflow thing is a strange beast indeed, so the chart ‘is what it is’. What I do like about it is that we can help drive the notion of spending more via real spend, which is all too often forced into the reselling category, but could be a lot broader if we allow it to be.

The post YTD Spend 2016 vs 2015 appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Here's my MS differences (I track MS spend better than real spend lol):

2015 2016
Jan $19.2K $11.6K
Feb $22.6K $6.5K
Mar $16.1K $9.7K
Apr $19.5K $9.5K

In general, cut about in half compared YoY. I cut out my lower returns (e.g. MS Hilton/Club Carlson Points) since with higher offload fees, they weren't profitable enough anymore to invest the time.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
Third paragraph you state MS has certainly dropped, but fourth paragraph states "real real" spend is very low. Unless I am interpreting this incorrectly, your graph seems to contradict this?

Sparked my interest in what my spending is now. Off to play with mint...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Third paragraph you state MS has certainly dropped, but fourth paragraph states "real real" spend is very low. Unless I am interpreting this incorrectly, your graph seems to contradict this?

Sparked my interest in what my spending is now. Off to play with mint...
I consider my personal spending to be 'real real'. I consider my business spending to be something a little different - it's real, but it brings into play concepts of arbitrage.

For example, because my 'real real' is so low, and because of the way I view life, I can afford to not take every earned dollar from my business and convert it into Net Worth. Rather, I reinvest it. For example, today I spent $1500 on software that adds value to my clients rather than pay myself a salary with that money. This is real spend, and I earn points, plus, in theory the investment in the software will in the future create more revenue as my practice becomes better and more efficient.

As such, if I get an inflow of $100K in a year, I'd be fine with spending the $100K on reinvestments.

It isn't willful spending, I take a lot of time to consider the product and value add, and expect a clear ROI from each choice, but it is free spending in terms of my mindset of not being attached to the money and allowing it to improve my business rather than just my own wallet.

A long term play.

volker

Level 2 Member
Personal accounting is one of the reasons why I don't really want to go into MS. I mind to much where 'real real' money goes to and how much I really spent and saved.

Recently I was thinking to maybe just have "MS only" CC's and bank accounts.

Andres

Level 2 Member
@volker With Mint.com, you can categorize MS related categories. It is not hard to separate MS transactions from real transactions to get a clear picture of your finances. You could have MS only CCs and bank accounts too, I guess. But not necessary.

volker

Level 2 Member
@volker With Mint.com, you can categorize MS related categories. It is not hard to separate MS transactions from real transactions to get a clear picture of your finances. You could have MS only CCs and bank accounts too, I guess. But not necessary.
I only use mint for a quick overview. And separating transaction sounds like a lot of overhead. I even ignore Mint's categorization since its so faulty and time consuming to fix.