Your favorite places

italdesign

Level 2 Member
[edit - lesser known places are encouraged for exposure]

Since we are a travel obsessed bunch, and there's nothing I love talking about more, I would like to know: what are your favorite places that you have been to? You can list 1 or 10. Some people have been to a lot, others only in the hundreds. You can also list a specific site or a whole country, though you should stick to the granularity of a metropolitan area or national park whenever possible.

1 picture per place is encouraged (though I'm too lazy to start).

So here are mine, in no particular order.

-Jiuzhaigou, China. Recently discussed in someone's status. Unbelievably clear water, breathtaking scenery. I haven't been here for ~15 years though.
-Halong Bay, Vietnam. Thousands of limestone rising out of the water. Did an overnight cruise and kayaking here - can't recommend it higher, stay as long as you can!
-Carmel, CA and Big Sur coast. I've been here several times and while the beauty does shy away during crappy weather, if you hit it on the right day it's absolutely amazing coastal scenery (my favorite coast anywhere). Top it off with an ocean view room atop the Hyatt Carmel Highlands (which I have done twice [for free of course] and they are the #1 and #2 room views I've ever had, anywhere).
-Venice. There's a reason it's by far the most photographed place that I see at art galleries. I was in awe the whole time by the history and uniqueness. It's very touristy but compartmentalized by the narrow alleys.
-Bora Bora. The ultimate vacation spot. Not much to do, but perfect for the ultimate relaxation. It bears repeating for the millionth time that yes, you NEED to stay in an OWB. This is the one time not to be a Cheap Bastard (TM).
-Hong Kong. I grew up watching HK movies. It was kind of surreal to finally go there as an adult. It's a lot more Mainland-influenced now, but the neon signs and centuries-old local manners remain unmistakable. I'm not sure which is more impressive: the most expansive (by far IMO) skyline in the world, or the green dragon-shaped mountains in the backdrop. Either way, you have both. It doesn't hurt to have Tim Ho Wan either.
-South Central Alaska (Anchorage to Seward). Like the places above, it awed me with its awe-inspiring scenery. Here is the most expansive mountain range I have driven through. I must have exclaimed "it's so expansive!" a million times to my travel partner. Don't worry if it's misty/rainy (which is 95% of the year), it only adds to the scenery. Great wildlife viewing at Kenai Fjords National Park - orcas, humpbacks, puffins and sea lions are the norm. My favorite was watching from a distance a harbor seal play on the tidewater glacier (glad I brought a binocular). Despite the near-freezing temperature in Aug, a day cruise found landscapes reminiscent of Polynesia and SE Asia. Just amazing.

Honorable mentions (because, too many beautiful places)
-Sydney. Most of our 3 days were spent in the vicinity of the opera house. I can't get enough of it. Best NYE ever.
-Sa Pa and Hoi An, Vietnam. Sa Pa's rice terrace is the best I have seen to date, while Hoi An is my gold standard for a relaxing "water village".

Your turn.

p.s. I really need to make it to South/Central America, Africa, ME and more of EU.

Last edited:

italdesign

Level 2 Member
btw, one of the curses of the frequent traveler is once you've seen 20 times more beauty than the avg person, something that awes the avg person looks just normal to you. I'm at the point where diversity is the key. I seek out new experiences that will enrich me. Plenty of those left, thankfully.

smittytabb

Staff member
My list of favorite places is too long so I don't really have one. People do ask me all the time and it is just too difficult to narrow down. I do love French Polynesia though, enough so that I encouraged my daughter and her fiance to honeymoon there. I hope they like it as much as I do. I am always hesitant to make proclamations about favorites because we are all so different with different preferences.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I don't think we need to get into a religious war about why my favorite place is better than yours. But I am interested in what turns ppl on. I'm sure I'll discover a few new places in the process if enough ppl participate. Perhaps the answers can skew towards lesser known places.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of bragging rights, I've been to most of the OP's destinations, barring Bora Bora and Jiuzhaigou, and they are all super. The 'then and now' situation might be an influence though, as I used to like Playa del Carmen, but now not so much.

Places that stand out in my mind:

• Dahab, Egypt. Sleepy coastal town neighboring Sharm. Accommodation was free with a Scuba cert, so we both did our Padi advanced here and hung out for a few days. Great diving, low key people (for Egypt.. hated it in other places, such as Alexandria). I guess you could add in a Falucca ride down the Nile also, we did that for 3-4 nights, sleeping on the top of a boat, stopping off for dinner with local Bedouins one night, almost getting killed another by local farmers.. good times :)
  • Sabah Borneo, sleeping in a nature reserve in the middle of the rainforest (Uncle Tan) and on that same trip taking dive excursions to nearby islands in the Northern Philippines.
  • Galapagos Islands.
  • India - tiger safari at Jim Corbett national park
  • Africa- NgoroNgoro safari, Zanzibar for $5 lobster tails and $8 Johnny Blue

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I've been many places, but my number one is Tromso, Norway in January to see the northern lights. An awesome display from Mother Nature. She did not disappoint. I finally stopped taking pictures and laid down in the snow and just watched.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Keep reminding us of Uncle Tan. I need it.

Safaris are on my list. One day, Fairmont Masai Mara will be mine.
It'll be gone one day. It's a sanctuary that gives most of its income to buying up the rainforest to protect it from MCD... it's a special place.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
My favorite place so far is a cruise ship. Sailing on the ocean in awe of its vastness and the life below doesn't get old. I look forward to taking longer cruise trips so I can see more of the world that way.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite place so far is a cruise ship. Sailing on the ocean in awe of its vastness and the life below doesn't get old. I look forward to taking longer cruise trips so I can see more of the world that way.
It gets old. Just ask @Flanmann :)

But yeah, I love them too, have 2 booked.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
I'm at the point where diversity is the key. I seek out new experiences that will enrich me. Plenty of those left, thankfully.

I feel the same. My own list is a long one as well and likely more specific in time and place but I have special memories of a villa at Las Hadas in Manzanillo, cocktails at Top of the Sixes in Manhattan and happy hour at Windows on the World at the World Trade Center (Rest in Peace), pizza and art in Florence, a swim in Palm Springs, playing guitar in Old San Juan, art and walking in Taos, perfumery in Paris, kite flying with my child in Assateague, gold panning in the Yukon, a cheese making tour on Prince Edward Island, dinner overlooking Vancouver..just a few.

Dreams that came true.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
The problem with cruises (which I love) is the buffet. I gain 70 pounds + shorten my lifespan by 3 years each time I go.

(not that any other trip is different... ok now it's depressing)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
My sister and BIL are all about cruises...my 7 year old niece has been on at least 5. I'm somewhat embarrassed, but my sister is going on the upcoming NKOTB cruise with her girlfriends in October -- leaving hubby and kids at home. This is her 3rd or 4th NKOTB/BSB cruise LOL

smittytabb

Staff member
OK, in the interests of sharing, and since I have been to what I think are a good number of less well known places here are some places and experiences in no particular order. It might be of note that most of my favorite adventures have not included an American chain hotel stay. I seek out interesting experiences and want to learn about culture while traveling.

• Spending time with family at Kiawah Island, South Carolina an environmentally aware island community and resort with natural dunes and terrific beach and lots of recreation and nature education opportunities
  • Flying into Paro, Bhutan, a landing so dangerous only 8 pilots are qualified to do it, and then exploring the country and attending the annual Tsechu festival while learning about this fascinating place and culture
  • Camping in the desert at Erg Chebbi, Morocco and riding a camel and then exploring the many UNESCO World Heritage sites around the country
  • Sailing to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands from Antarctica and then standing among the King Penguins and other wildlife at St. Andrew's Bay at sunrise
  • Whale watching in Moorea, French Polynesia and spotting humpbacks and getting in the water to snorkel among them. Relaxing on the beach at Bora Bora and cruising the Society Islands
  • Floating in a hot air balloon over Capadoccia, Turkey in the early morning among all the many other balloons and exploring the Goreme Open Air Museum. Istanbul is also one of my very favorite cities in the world
  • Port tasting around the Douro Valley, Portugal going quinta to quinta and having one proprietor share his bootleg port with us bottled in a red wine bottle
  • Sleeping in a monk's cell at the monastery in Rila, Bulgaria and experiencing the biggest earthquake in a century while there. Exploring the country and the many UNESCO World Heritage sites was also a highlight
  • Marveling at the amazing wildlife in the Galapagos Islands and snorkeling with sea lions and hammerhead sharks
  • Flying over the Skeleton Coast and joyriding in a jeep along the Namib Sand Sea in Namibia
  • Watching eruptions of the volcano on Stromboli in the Aeolian Islands, Italy from a boat in the water
  • Staying in tented camps at Masai Mara and Tsavo West in Kenya and in a room on stilts at Sarova Salt Lick
  • Spending Semana Santa in Sevilla, Spain watching the celebrations daily from the rooftop I was sleeping on
  • Exploring Rapa Nui National Park and the ancient atu and moai on Easter Island, Chile
  • Taking a two week archeological tour of the island of Sicily, Italy and hiking on top of Mt. Etna
  • Being in New Zealand rarely disappoints. Have traveled most of the country and been back multiple times.
  • Flying over the Nazca Lines in Peru and taking Peru Rail to Machu Picchu staying in the Sanctuary Lodge
  • Cruising the Volga River on a Russian ship and being in St. Petersburg during White Nights

Our friends always tell us we travel too much but I feel we don't travel enough....
  1. Iceland - Went there on a G Adventures trip last October. Hands down one of the most friendliest, coolest, cleanest, and jaw droppingly beautiful places on earth. The Northern Lights are too amazing to describe. Even the Blue Lagoon which is EXTREMELY touristy was totally worth every penny and I'd go back in a heart beat.
  2. Dubai, UAE - Seeing a country in such a transitional phase where Middle Eastern Customs truly meets Western culture. Walking down the street and seeing Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, 2 Shelby GT, Camaro's, and countless of other exotic cars is very cool. The people were friendly and the food was delicious.
  3. Cappadocia Turkey - We just got back from spending 5 days there on our honeymoon. Amazing landscape, inexpensive, friendly, and tons of stuff to do. Especially if you love the outdoors.
  4. Grand Cayman - "The Jewel of the Caribbean" - My wife surprised me for my 30th birthday with trip to Grand Cayman. 7 mile beach is gorgeous with breathtaking sunsets. The food is first class and the hospitality is top notch. Extremely safe. We even took a public bus to the other side of the Island. All the locals smiled and welcomed us to their country.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have so many favorite places that I keep going back to. Iceland is one that I didn't put on my list but like many of you, it was a highlight. I am returning next summer. Hoping I can convince my husband to go a little further afield than I did when I went on my own the last time.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I highly recommend renting a car and driving the ring road in Iceland. The entire island is beautiful. We were there in June, so had plenty of daylight and saw so much. Highlights included a few tours we booked - Into The Glacier, Inside the Volcano - Thrihnukagigur Magma Chamber (if you don't have a fear of heights and a 4 mile somewhat rocky hike), and the zodiac tour to the Jokulsarlon Lagoon for the icebergs and glacier. And also the mud flats near Lake Myvatn.

We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon, but as mentioned, it is expensive and touristy - but you need to do it. I would also recommend going to the public thermal pools in Reykjavik - they provide towels and lockers and was about $5 USD. We enjoyed the pools while talking to the locals.

After reading everyone's lists - I see that I need to go back to Turkey. I went to Istanbul and Ephesus, but did not have time to go to Cappadocia - I need to put it on the list!

12th Man

I have done a light amount of traveling so far. A common thread in my favorite trips that I have taken, that made them special is no electronics available. No cell service, no T.V. . You really start to look around at the beauty you have. Yellowstone, and the Deshutes River in eastern Oregon are two of my most recent ones. The stars are amazing at night. I could stare at them for hours just letting my mind melt away.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Since Iceland is obviously a favorite, which season do you guys recommend to go? Or is there no bad season? I have no experience driving in deep deep snow (meaning 4wd or tire chains), though I love winter wonderlands (esp in a village type setting).

sriki

Level 2 Member
Since Iceland is obviously a favorite, which season do you guys recommend to go? Or is there no bad season? I have no experience driving in deep deep snow (meaning 4wd or tire chains), though I love winter wonderlands (esp in a village type setting).
I cannot think of a time where driving in Iceland will not be fun. Do get a 4x4. It's not that difficult to drive in snow if you are careful and not speeding.

Spring (April) followed by peak summer (June-Aug) and then Autumn (sept). I recommend doing in that order.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
It's not that difficult to drive in snow if you are careful and not speeding.
I'm easily distracted by beautiful scenery. I'll make sure I have life insurance.

Spring (April) followed by peak summer (June-Aug) and then Autumn (sept). I recommend doing in that order.
So winter is first or last place?

smittytabb

Staff member
One of my friends lived in Reykjavik for several years. In the dead of winter there are less than 4 hours of sunlight a day. I would be more worried about daylight than snow. I went in summer and am going back in summer. I would love however to be there to see the Northern Lights sometime.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I'm seriously considering Iceland (or another place) for a winter trip, which I have not had in a long time. Of my numerous trips last few years, most have been warm weather, a few lukewarm, but zero cold weather. I actually miss it more than anything else.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I'm easily distracted by beautiful scenery. I'll make sure I have life insurance.

So winter is first or last place?
We were there the first week in June with 20+ hours of sunlight. It made for lots of sightseeing time and driving was fine.

If your goal is the Northern Lights, I would suggest a location north of the arctic circle during the winter months for best viewing chances and more spectacular displays.

I highly recommend renting a car and driving the ring road in Iceland. The entire island is beautiful. We were there in June, so had plenty of daylight and saw so much. Highlights included a few tours we booked - Into The Glacier, Inside the Volcano - Thrihnukagigur Magma Chamber (if you don't have a fear of heights and a 4 mile somewhat rocky hike), and the zodiac tour to the Jokulsarlon Lagoon for the icebergs and glacier. And also the mud flats near Lake Myvatn.

We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon, but as mentioned, it is expensive and touristy - but you need to do it. I would also recommend going to the public thermal pools in Reykjavik - they provide towels and lockers and was about $5 USD. We enjoyed the pools while talking to the locals.

After reading everyone's lists - I see that I need to go back to Turkey. I went to Istanbul and Ephesus, but did not have time to go to Cappadocia - I need to put it on the list!
We also went to a public thermal pool and I remember it being about $5 USD. It was also really cool.

We went in October. We got to see the northern lights which was amazing. If you rent a car you don't necessarily need a 4x4 because most of the car rental agencies will tell you that you CAN'T go off roading with them. The terrain in much of Iceland is pretty rugged and help can be quite a bit away. I know a few people who did the ring road and said it can be done in as little as 4 days or as long as 15 days. The weather in October was chilly and windy but still temperate. We had about 10-12 hours of sun per day.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Until the last decade most of my favorite places were based on trekking and fishing in incredibly beautiful, usually remote places. (Unfortunately, many of those places are no longer what they were 20-30 years ago.) Special times in special places, which are impossible to rank, includes:
--Catching the Green Flash on the beach at the end of the Kalalau Trail, Napali Coast, Kauii.
--Watching thousands of brown pelicans glide into a bay at sunset while fishing salt water marshes of south Louisiana in the late 70's/early 80's. (Still great, but much of it is gone.)
--Experiencing silence and watching the rocks catch fire as the day wanes in the Canyonlands, Utah, (in the years prior to ATVs--very different now unless you get way back in.)
--Trekking Kepler and Able Tasman in New Zealand. Kayaking Doubtful Sound. Really, just about anywhere in New Zealand!
--Lofoten Islands, Norway. (Recently returned from first trip to Norway. Beauty rivals that of NZ.)
--Alaska--anywhere off the main roads, but ANWR sticks out, as does the glacier belt east of Seward. Couple of days hopping on and off the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry can be awesome.

Iceland is on the schedule for next year--I'm encouraged that so many here think its awesome--as is Pantagonia. Always wanted to trek Nepal, but am no longer physically fit enough.

Cities and cultural experiences have been more of a focus as we've aged. It's impossible to rank, but my highlights include:
--The Louvre and Musee d'orsy, Paris. Had skipped them when young, but spent 3 days during a cold and rainy January three years ago and was totally blown away. Paris without hordes of tourists is still special.
--Opera at the Vienna State Opera House. Not a bad seat in the house, and, oh, the sound! (La Scala in Milan is pretty amazing, too!)
--Any live performance at Carnegie Hall, New York. The best acoustics in the world. Catching a great performance at Carnegie is worth a trip, and nearly every performer gives their best.
--Mozart week in Salzburg in January. Very low key (unlike the summer festivals) which attracts serious, knowledgable classical music lovers & performers from all over the world.
--Ronnie Scott's in London (saw Jeff Beck!), and more edgy stuff in the clubs of East London.
--London and New York for theatre--both cutting edge and mainstream. I really like what the National Theatre in London has been offering in recent years.
--New York jazz venues continue to be amazing.
--All sorts of incredible indigenous music and food at numerous neighborhood venues in pre-Katrina New Orleans. Post-Katrina NOLA music is still evolving, and is good, but not nearly as good.
--Clubbing in Buenos Aires and Barcelona until dawn.
--Biking and walking around Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Was going to start a list about great places for food that I've visited (ie. world's best jerk is found on the road south of Port Antonio, Jamaica), but that is better left for another time and place.

Last edited:

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
We went to Iceland February last year. Rented a car and saw the most fabulous northern light by the sea not far from the blue lagoon. We were told by the locals it was the best night in decades. Don't know if it was true. The northern light was so bright and strong. It covered the whole sky. This was one of our most memorable trips.

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
Bora Bora (see avatar)- Doesn't have to be crazy expensive to stay in the OTW bungalows. Just get the IHG CC for you and your significant other and maybe complete one of IHG's quarterly promos they have and you'll have enough points for a few nights.
Kauai - We went to both Maui and Kauai. Kauai was definitely my favorite. Headed to the Big Island in a month.

Trying to get my wife to go to New Zealand for our 40th birthdays next year. She doesn't want to leave the kids for that long so I keep sending her information on all the awesome places they have there hoping she will change her mind.

Iceland and Alaska are both places I'd like to go as well...probably in the warmer months. Living in the midwest, I get enough of the winter already.

Jung Lee

I'm new to Saverocity, and this is my first post, but I do not lack for travel experiences.

1. Elafonisi beach, Crete, Greece - clear, blue medi water in protected bay waters, island sand bar 500 yds off shore, water never deeper than 4 feet to reach the sand bar island, beautiful and kind Greeks. A family dream location
2. Capri - swimming in the blue Mediterranean waters and finding small private beaches
3. Maui - Sunrise Mt Haleakala bike ride, freezing at the summit, and riding a bike all the way down to the beach.
4. SF - Golden Gate bridge bike ride - awesome views, and ending in Sausalito, and taking the ferry back was great
5. Rome - great three days seeing the ruins prior to our cruise
6. Paris - my first time in Europe, too many great memories
7. London - too many sightseeing places to mention
8. Alaska cruise - wilderness, wildlife
9. Cococay, Bahamas - private Bahama island owned by Royal Caribbean
10. St Petersburg - amazing how big this city is and how much history surrounds you.

that was a fun list of places and a visit down memory lane.

radika15

My favorite place is South Padre Island in Texas
Tokyo
Disney World
The Greek Islands
Hong Kong,
list of favorite places

JBL

For "solitary" hiking you cannot beat Norway.
It's just you and the trail. Awesome views and no one around for miles and miles.

cavil

Level 2 Member
Top of my list is The Hide safari camp in Hwange national park Zimbabwe. Each evening we'd sit down to dinner and a herd of 50+ elephants would arrive at waterhole for their evening drink. Also got to see Cecil the lion up close 2 years before he was killed by that vile and repugnant Minnesota dentist.