Yes, Triple Dip is possible with your new Amex Platinum

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If you are the owner of a new Amex Platinum card because of the extraordinary signup bonus (here’s the coverage by Doctor of Credit and Frequent Miler), you might be wondering whether Triple Dipping (TM) the $200 airline credit with one annual fee is possible. The premise is that if your card membership starts at the end of year 1, you can get the airline credit (which resets on Jan 1 each year) in year 1, year 2, and the very beginning of year 3 before the second annual fee is due.

While I can’t guarantee this time around (because things can change), I was able to Triple Dip with another variety of Platinum card that was approved on Nov 17, 2017. You may need to temporarily pay the 2nd annual fee if the airline credit hasn’t been reimbursed by the payment due date, but as long as you cancel the card within 30 days of the annual fee posting, you’ll be refunded the annual fee (at least that’s Amex’s policy as of writing, and has been for many years).

Technically, even if the 3rd credit posts after 30 days of the annual fee, you could still downgrade the card and get a partial annual fee refund, but I haven’t had the need for that given the above timeline.

So, if you just got a Platinum, I’d say the chance of Triple Dip is high. If you were waiting to get closer to end of year for Triple Dip, I don’t think it warrants waiting any longer. Even if you only get 2 airline credits, the signup bonus will be well worth it. And fingers crossed we all get it and no clawback
🙂

By the way, I got the 100k offer to show about 9 minutes after the hour.

The post Yes, Triple Dip is possible with your new Amex Platinum appeared first on Points Adventure.

Continue reading...