Will it affect my FICO score if I cancel my 1st Amex card?

goals^n^dreams

Level 2 Member
I have 4 cards. I would like to apply the 5th card. I know Amex has limit of 4 cards.

1. Hilton (applied 2003)
2. Delta (applied 2010)
3. Blue Cash Preferred (applied 2010)
4. Blue (applied 2010)

I have been a member of Amex since 2003 until now ( 13 years membership). I would like to apply SPG (25000 bonus point). I am thinking to cancel my Hilton card. If I cancel my Hilton card, will it affect my FICO score because I will be reduced my membership year? Will Amex membership reduce to 6 years (2010 until 2015) or it's still 13 years membership ?

Thanks!

Domat

Level 2 Member
Your card won't drop from your reports for at least 10 years. I have a few stay much longer. So for at least 10 years the line item will continue to help your FICO score.

Your member since date will always be 2003 though that doesn't mean much for Fico scoring.

Someone

Level 2 Member
I've read that amex doesn't put your "member since" date as the opened date anymore, so if it's one of your oldest lines of credit, closing it and opening a new card could have an effect on your score, particularly if you don't have many credit lines.

Domat

Level 2 Member
Someone is right. Amex no longer uses Member since date on Reports so all new cards start with the date you signed up. Canceling you card will not hurt you for 10 years but a new card will be used to average out your length of Credit History.

Neither of these things is much to worry about imo.