Why I never redeemed SQ J/F or AS for CX F - until now

italdesign

Level 2 Member
This is just a reflection of why, until now, redeeming KrisFlyer miles for SQ J/F, or AS miles for CX F, made no sense for me. The answer: I don't live in a gateway city, and AA pre-deval was always better.

Earlier this year, when AA already deval'ed and KF was about to "devaluate", I redeemed 68k KF for SQ J LAX-SIN-xxx. Pre-deval AA cost the same - for CX F. But wait, I am paying $300 in fees with the SQ J redemption. That's not all - I also have to position myself to LAX (since I was on a SQ-only booking). And I am staying overnight in LAX, which isn't cheap. I'm burning a Marriott cat5 cert.

So let's recap - I can either use AA miles to fly CX F (or JAL F), OR I can spend the same amount of KF miles to fly SQ J, but I also have to pay $300 cash + positioning flight + overnight hotel stay + extra hassle. It's a no brainer. In fact, even in the post-deval AA world, I'm shaking my head at what a terrible redemption the SQ J is. And the availability was terrible too, even 10 months out (no F, so only J, and not even on the day I wanted). Back in the days CX and JAL had way better availability. I could have paid 70k AA miles and skipped all the other fees - if AA could get me to my destination, which it can't in this case (no oneworld presence), so that makes me feel a bit better.

As for using AS miles, it didn't fly out of my airport so I'd have to position myself too. Now it does, and it's much cheaper for CX F, so I just snagged one. I've missed my cocoon of 2A!

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I understand reminiscing about AA's deval prices, but their deval was particularly severe. More relevant would be comparing AA's post-deval prices to SQ's post-deval prices.

Does United fly from your home airport to LAX? SQ's partner award chart is usually a small premium (or even lower cost) to use partners vs the SQ-only chart. For example, for West Coast US to Vietnam, SQ-only chart is 88k/118k for J/F while partner chart is 97.5k/112.5k.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
More relevant would be comparing AA's post-deval prices to SQ's post-deval prices.
That was mentioned:

I could have paid 70k AA miles and skipped all the other fees

... while partner chart is 97.5k...
Arguably better than the pre-deval cost of { 68k + $300 cash + positioning flight + overnight hotel stay + extra hassle }. Still terrible compared to AA's 70k for the same (and availability seems improving).

dukerau

Level 2 Member
That was mentioned:

I could have paid 70k AA miles and skipped all the other fees

Arguably better than the pre-deval cost of { 68k + $300 cash + positioning flight + overnight hotel stay + extra hassle }. Still terrible compared to AA's 70k for the same (and availability seems improving).
Gotcha, I missed the 70k reference.

Yeah, SQ's prices for J are pretty unappealing. But for F, their rates are pretty close to AA in most cases. And fuel surcharges are gone now, so that negates the cash difference. That said, I agree that CX availability is much better than SQ. Are you seeing CX availability improve? Or were you referring to domestic AA availability?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
F has become too expensive to justify, with the exception of AS chart and a few oddball routes. I find a solid J to be very adequate.

I was referring to AA domestic availability improving. CX seems unchanged as of late.