Why Fi???

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Maybe it's my age, but I fail to see why people are so crazy about having lightning fast free WiFi on flights. Can't we just read something or watch the basically unlimited movies, TV shows, full length operas etc, or just make a playlist?

I know that I am guilty of spending way too much time on social media but a few hours off can't be so bad.

Most of the points/miles crowd seem to be flying in the front of the plane so isn't it preferable to use those perks than to Tweet or post cat videos?

Also on certain flights, particularly TO Europe or the 12+ hours on many Asian or Middle East trips, to spend some time sleeping?

Sure, wifi can be fun and/or useful but can some of you who crave it tell me exactly why?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
For last minute trip planning, I.e. the one you are flying to ;)
Yes! Imagine reading in your real book about the place you will land in 7 more hours and you find an attraction you missed before. You want to look it up online NOW ... and maybe you can, maybe you can't. Always better to have that option. Or you just want to freely surf for new info.

It may not be absolutely necessary, but it IS a plus if available. Better if its free!

I think that it is also, for those not trying to "work" on the plane, just another option to pass the time. Can you really read a book for 10 hours? Or sleep for that long?? Maybe. But being able to choose between yet-another option (surfing) isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Maybe it's my age, but I fail to see why people are so crazy about having lightning fast free WiFi on flights. Can't we just read something or watch the basically unlimited movies, TV shows, full length operas etc, or just make a playlist?
Bonus points for the word-play!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK, I don't work so that's out. On a short flight, I rather enjoy not being connected. I already spend way too much time fiddling around online at home so it provides a substitute for discipline. I'm still sort of amazed at flying Business let alone First after all the years of 10 across, terrible food and the seat in front of me hitting my knees so I guess I just enjoy excessive beverage service and multi course meals as well as films that I have missed and quirky Asian and French movies.

As for sleep, I don't sleep that well in general but try to stay down for at least part of the journey so that I don't wind up disoriented at the destination.

I never had an important job or certainly not one where I would work other than at the workplace. I still don't get the idea that vacation means being contacted at all, or at least not consistently.

AnyNameYouWish

Level 2 Member
I don't do social media but I do have a favorite game to pass the time and it needs a connection. Usually I bring magazines. With the kids it's hard for me to keep focus long enough for a book. Too many interruptions.