Which Amex to start with?

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
Hey everyone,

New guy here!

So I started the credit card 'game' a couple months ago and have amassed the following cards
  • CSP
  • Ink Bold
  • Chase Hyatt
  • Arrival
  • Club Carlson
I've been wanting to add an Amex to my arsenal and was wondering which you guys think would be best to get started with.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Depends... are you looking for strong sign up bonuses or a card you can use and keep with good miles/cash back?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Depends... are you looking for strong sign up bonuses or a card you can use and keep with good miles/cash back?
Agreed - what is your goal? You have two approaches to consider:

a. strategic - go for the card that compliments your plan the best.
b. opportunistic - jumping on an offer due to its exceptional quality,

You should be running both of these approaches.

On a side note, I'm a fan of the SPG Amex,

wasser

Level 2 Member
I think the Amex Everyday is great if you spend a lot on groceries (4.5 MR per dollar up to $6000) and can make 30 purchases in a month. Using Amazon Subscribe & Save and self-checkouts at the grocery make the 30 purchases a breeze for me.

The old Amex Blue can be better if you are more interested in cash - but meeting the initial $6500 spend can be hard for a new person.

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the replies!

My vacations are pretty much booked for the next year. I'm going on a Disney cruise next year which I'm paying cash, and also going to SF which I'm using AA miles for airfare and UR points for hotels.

I'm pretty comfortable MSing. So I'm thinking about a straight cash back card to help pay for most/all of the cruise.

I'm thinking about the Old blue cash now and waiting for the SPG to have an increased sign up bonus.

Question about the old blue though, is the cash redemption done in 'real' cash, for example, ACH to my bank account or is it done as a statement credit?

Thanks again!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Just got the Old Amex Blue last month to replace my WF 5% cashback card (my 6-month promo for WF just ended). To my surprise, I already met the $6500 threshold with just a couple of grocery shopping trips and buying "prescription meds" at CVS :)

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
What would be the best way to use this for the cruise without putting the cruise on this card? Wait to get at least $500 built up in cash rewards and then buy a VGC and convert to a MO?

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
What would be the best way to use this for the cruise without putting the cruise on this card? Wait to get at least $500 built up in cash rewards and then buy a VGC and convert to a MO?
Couldn't you just pay for it with any other (travel bonus) card? You should be continually using your old blue so you'll always have a balance to put your statement credit against.