Where to search for AA business saver rewards

Gooseberry

My wife and I are flying from Florence, Italy to CVG in July for our 10th wedding anniversary and I'm having difficulty finding business class award flights because they all include British Airways through London. This causes A) fuel charges and B) most annoyingly, an airport change from LCY to LHR. I have the award availability on both United and Delta from CVG to VCE, but we need the return home from FLR. Where can I search award space without involving London? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
My wife and I are flying from Florence, Italy to CVG in July for our 10th wedding anniversary and I'm having difficulty finding business class award flights because they all include British Airways through London. This causes A) fuel charges and B) most annoyingly, an airport change from LCY to LHR. I have the award availability on both United and Delta from CVG to VCE, but we need the return home from FLR. Where can I search award space without involving London? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I assume you have AA miles since you mention BA. You can try for IB flights-MAD to JFK or MIA or ORD, then on to CVG. IB ia a great ride in C. The downside is IB ground ops and phone support are terrible. You can look for IB availability on BA.com.

Then there's Finnair out of Helsinki. I am not sure how this would work with AA miles since you may have issues with MPM and also whether there is a published fare from Florence to HEL to US.

Air Berlin is another OW possibility, as is Aer Lingus. You're just going to have to hunt and peck to put together a trip like that in high season.

You're correct in trying to avoid the BA YQ and also that London airport transfer. Each is a deal killer for me.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
OP, what miles do you have? You should follow the guidelines outlined at the top of this award booking subforum for new threads.

If AA have you considered MAN to avoid fuel surcharges?
You could do something like MAN->PHL(/JFK/ORD)->CVG and there seems to be some availability in July for C class
And then connect to MAN from wherever in europe you can find connecting flights? BA.com should give you plenty of choices, including a connection from LHR to MAN

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
You are setting your self up for failure flying from two SkyTeam hubs/focus cities on OneWorld. At a minimum you will need three segments (FLR-European hub, OW TATL, American hub - CVG) and the odds of them showing up on a single search in J/F are slim at best in the winter and extremely unlikely during the summer. You are unlikely to get four-segment searches to show up in any normal tools.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you buy a trip pass at AwardNexus for the purpose of this trip, or else consult with a paid award booking service unless you are willing to put in a ton of legwork on this.

Barring that, there are a couple of strategies:
A. Use UR points to transfer to United. Their online award search is actually pretty easy and friendly to find award space. Use MR to transfer to DL (or possibly FlyingBlue or Alitalia). Do you have enough miles in either program for a TATL J ticket for 2 people?

B. Consider a train ride as suggested by @italdesign or a short paid/Avios hop to a better European starting point. Is there any other city you might be interested in spending a night? ZRH? MXP? BCN?

C. Break down the trip into its possible routes
1. Go to wikipedia and see which airlines actually serve FLR, and whether any of them are One World. See which OW hubs in Europe are served. I see the possibilities are
--AB to DUS or STR
--BA to LON
--IB to MAD
--Vueling to lots of places, but I'm not sure you can get space with AA miles. If that works, you will open up a lot of options.

2. Which American hubs have direct service to CVG? (Wikipedia)
--Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami, New York–JFK, New York–LaGuardia (begins January 5, 2016), Philadelphia, Washington-National

3. So now we know that you are looking for TATL OW service from MAD, DUS, or STR to CLT, ORD, DFW, MIA, NYC, PHL, DCA. Go to aa.com...where we fly...show a larger map. (this takes you to aa.innosked.com) Figure out which OW routes exist. Uncheck 'Add AA connections' but leave Partners checked.
DUS-MIA/NYC/ORD on AB
MAD-CLT/ORD/DFW/MIA/NYC on IB or AA
The good news is, that only leaves 8 routes to search one-at-a-time. The bad news is, there are only 8 flights that are possible routes for you to use.

4. So now we know you are looking for flights ex-DUS or ex-MAD to an AA hub. Use AA.com or Qantas to search for OW availability on the nonstop TATL flights you are interested in XXX-YYY. Then go back and fill in the positioning flights FLR-XXX and YYY-CVG.
--The problem you will hit with AA is that you won't know if a route includes BA until you click through, and AA will tend not to show awards in J if a single segment is missing.
--The problem you will hit with QF is that they will show an award in J, and then you will click through and find that the TATL is in Y.
--The problem with BA is that if there is a possible BA route, they will often omit inventory on OW partners.
--Consider Alaska Air award searches, they clearly break down AA versus BA and clearly show 'Mixed Cabin inventory' when it is a mix of Y and J (but they don't include Iberia routes)
--I would get a paid EF subscription to search for award availability on those 8 routes on IB and AA. But if you rarely book your own awards, between Award Nexus and/or EF, you are looking at close to the cost for an award booking service, not to mention time required to learn those tools.

5. Also, it will be helpful to search for awards for just one passenger, you might actually find some of those and that will give you a starting point. Then you can book the first seat and set up ExpertFlyer Alerts for the other seat.

Good luck :D

ETA: Just realized I omitted a huge option, you can do BA FLR-LHR and then AA metal LHR-AA hub. Still the same principles apply, you would need to search one-by-one for LHR-CLT, ORD, DFW, MIA, NYC, PHL, DCA. That one is actually pretty easy to do on AA.com, you can restrict the carrier preference to only AA and Amercian Eagle. You will still incur hundreds of extra dollars in UK departure taxes, but it's not as bad as BA fuel surcharges. Also throw in LHR-CVG (restricted to AA only) and see if there is any married segment logic that opens up two seats on a single flight.

Last edited:

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I love that your original posts reads as "we are taking our honeymoon in Cincinnati!" If that is the case, welcome to CVG :) But I expect this is the return from your honeymoon and I am digressing.

As a fellow CVG captive flyer, I can relate to this search. But without knowing your specific days, I chose a middle Wednesday, the 20th of July, and BA.com shows Iberia business seats from VCE-MAD-JFK. There are even 2 options for departures with very reasonable connection times of only 2 hours in Madrid. There are 3 seats left for awards on each option. If there is no direct connection from JFK to CVG, you might need to go to LGA. I see low level connecting options JFK-MIA-CVG, so maybe search VCE-MIA since you know you can get the low level from MIA to CVG. Otherwise, I am not sure if you can mix cabins on AAwards, but VCE-MAD-JFK-MIA-CVG looks doable.

Either way, coming from Europe to CVG will require some kind of compromise. Either extra connections, flying through LHR, 2 awards, or something else.