What's a good price for Broadway tix?

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Going to NYC for first time next week :)

I realize this question is a bit subjective, but just trying to gauge whether "Broadway Week" 2for1 is a good deal. I'm looking at Phantom of the Opera...with discount the prices are $27 for the cheapest up to $72 for orchestra. 7pm show.

I've heard TKTS booth sell discounted same day...will I find a better deal there?

Barb

Level 2 Member
I go to New York regularly for theater and since I try to see multiple shows in a weekend, I'm always looking for discounted tickets. TKTS discounts their tickets up to 50%. For a popular show, the discount might only be 30%. So if you are getting 2 for 1, that's a better bet than standing in line at TKTS. Google "TKTS" and "entertainment-link" and you'll get a list of the discounts each day for the past week for each show.

I often rush shows or enter lotteries. For good statistics on your chances, check out the Rush Report at broadwayspotted(dot)com.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Going to NYC for first time next week :)

I realize this question is a bit subjective, but just trying to gauge whether "Broadway Week" 2for1 is a good deal. I'm looking at Phantom of the Opera...with discount the prices are $27 for the cheapest up to $72 for orchestra. 7pm show.

I've heard TKTS booth sell discounted same day...will I find a better deal there?
Solid deal, you won't do better at TKTS. If you want a second show, download the TKTS app so you can see what's available that day before heading over. Shows may come and go as availability changes, so it's not a guarantee, but a good start. In general, really popular shows, say book of Mormon, will almost never show up sty TKTS. There's generally a good selection of really solid shows, but if you absolutely have to see a specific show, you gotta pay up in advance instead...

Barb

Level 2 Member
Just to add to @Josh F 's post, if you decide to do TKTS, the South Seaport location is less busy and sells tickets to matinees the day before. The app is great because you can see what if for sale and it changes all the time. If you go to the Times Square location, I find it works well to go within the half hour before the show. More tickets show up near show time and you can avoid the lengthy wait. Just make sure you are in the right line if you go for a matinee because people will have already started lining up for the evening show.

Some shows are never available at discount btw. And if you have a student card, it can come in handy for shows that do rush only for students. We got rush seats for Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder in the fall for $35 by using the student rush (our young adult children bought the seats). We are okay with rushing since we don't mind sitting on the sidewalk for an hour or so with our coffees waiting for the box office to open. In this case, GGLM was essentially sold out so rush seats were the only way we were getting in.