What specific cards are churnable now?

scott d

Level 2 Member
What specific cards are churnable now?
Which ones can you have more than one of open at same time?
Which ones can you cancel and get another in a short period of time?

Spgbus

Level 2 Member
I would say almost all CC are churnable, probably AMEX is the only exception due to the recent change. There is no complete list on this matter. It all depends on your expectation. What do you want or expect to achieve by churning the card? You can get 3 Citi AA Exec cards in 65 days while its Platinum AA card can only be churned once 18 months, etc.

Ralph

So for the Platinum AA card--which I got years ago--can I just apply for another? Or do I need to close the current one first?

yuneeq

Level 2 Member
So for the Platinum AA card--which I got years ago--can I just apply for another? Or do I need to close the current one first?
It's not the same card, but the AA executive platinum can be churned while you have it open.

yuneeq

Level 2 Member
I would say almost all CC are churnable, probably AMEX is the only exception due to the recent change. There is no complete list on this matter. It all depends on your expectation. What do you want or expect to achieve by churning the card? You can get 3 Citi AA Exec cards in 65 days while its Platinum AA card can only be churned once 18 months, etc.
+1
It's far easier to list non-churnable cards which basically starts and ends at Amex consumer cards.

Though in regards to waiting time, that changes from card to card.

Chase is basically instant.
Amex Biz is 12 months
Barclays I don't know,
Citi is 7 days to 18 months.

dfwrealtor

My goal is to collect hotel points via MS. Looking into applying for spg card.
Is there a card better than spg for hotels ( for now mainly in us)?

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I think most Chase cards are 24 months. The current United MP bonus explicitly states that.

@dfwrealtor - Club Carlson has a nice footprint and Europe and still offers last night free on award bookings. I like the IHG card for the free night every year (after $49 annual fee). SPG is better for its flexibility than for hotels - I actually find redeeming SPG for hotels to be bad value in many cases

smittytabb

Staff member
I personally think that there is a lot of value in hotel points if you use them creatively and know their value so you can spot the best uses. I agree with @asthejoeflies that SPG points are better used for airline transfer and generally as a flexible miles currency. I have slowly added hotel cards and continue to find reasons to keep those cards. It also gives me a lot of flexibility when choosing where to stay because I usually have the points to do it with most of the brands. I have the SPG, Hyatt, Hilton Honors Reserve, Club Carlson, Marriott, and IHG cards. You get some status with most of these cards (except SPG). My SO has SPG status through the Amex Plat and has a different array of hotel cards. So we can pool Hyatt points, use his status at SPG, do back to back redemptions at Club Carlson. If you really want to have more options and not necessarily be tied to a brand, this strategy works well.

smittytabb

Staff member
Just another set of thoughts to go along with my last post - it can take some time to assemble a set of hotel cards, spacing out applications, etc. What I did as I was working on this, was take advantage of status matches as well as challenges such as the Hyatt Diamond Challenge and now defunct Marriott Platinum challenge. StatusMatcher.com is a good place to go to see what others post as possible to try in terms of outright matching status of a program you have. Also keep in mind the multipliers that some of these cards have. Club Carlson for example is 5x everywhere. Hilton has several cards with good multipliers. You can even MS for credit on room stays for status with Marriott & Hyatt (better value with Marriott).

Spgbus

Level 2 Member
To be conservative, my advise is to close the old one first, wait about 3 months before applying for another one. YMMV.

Spgbus

Level 2 Member
Again it all depends on your expectation. IME, SPG is great for Ski Resorts in Colorado during peak ski season. You may get 7+ cpp. Hilton points are very easy to acquire through multiple Amex and Citi offers even it asks outrageous points to redeem. Set a goal first, then MS to it.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I don't pay attention the T&Cs when in my experience (and many others) is that you can churn Chase cards instantly. Airline and hotel cards need a new FF# for signing up, but that's about the only thing stopping a United churn.
Neat. Thanks for the tip! So I guess that's how people have 5 CSPs floating around? Cancel first or no

PedroNY

Level 2 Member
+1
It's far easier to list non-churnable cards which basically starts and ends at Amex consumer cards.

Though in regards to waiting time, that changes from card to card.

Chase is basically instant.
Amex Biz is 12 months
Barclays I don't know,
Citi is 7 days to 18 months.
Barlays, about 180 days, but best way is to look up your "application status", if you still see you previous application displayed, do not apply for any cards, if you do not, then you are probably good to go.

BofA, every 90 days works, never tried to compress that cycle -- just works, so don't mess with it.

Amex Biz, just a side note it is 12 months after you close your card, not from application time.

Citi, still has that little nasty 6 applications per 180 rule = decline. So that does pop-up if you do Day 1, Day 8, Day 62, Day 70, Day 123, Day 132 ->> last one will be likely be declined. YMMV, but that has been my experience.

Cheers,

PedroNY