What happens when you get a better offer?

b_c

After my fiance had signed up for the Barclays US Airways 40k offer, she received a targeted mailer for 50k. I nonchalantly told her that she could call up the bank and ask them to match the offer thinking that this must happen all the time and that Chase is pretty good about situations like these. Apparently I was wrong. I did do some digging on my own and found that Barclays is actually quite stingy when it comes to matching based on comments I had read. However the good news is after speaking with 3 different reps and a supervisor she was able to get a match. I think what helped was that the 50k offer had arrived about 3-4 days after she had signed up. So yes it is possible to get a match but they will make you work for it.

overclocked92

Level 2 Member
Barclays has tightened up on quite a number of fronts. They want to see usage before issuing you another card, takes a few calls to get bonuses with annual fee waving. But with the Arrival+ card they have got a number of things right to make it worth hassle in my view.

Wmonty

Level 2 Member
If the better offer is targeted specifically to you, call and give the offer code to a rep within 90 days and they should match it. Chase has gotten stingier with matching offers. They wouldn't increase my freedom card from 10k to 20k because it had been about 120 days since opening. GF tried to get her united card bumped from 30k to 50k and they wouldn't budge after a few phone calls. Luckily, she got a targeted offer for 50k in the mail before the 90 days was up.