Wells Fargo Credit Card Feature - Cellular telephone protection

Srinik

Level 2 Member
Hope this will be useful to folks with slippery hands :p
Pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Credit Card and you'll get cellular telephone protection that provides up to $600 protection (subject to a $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft at no cost.

Srinik

Level 2 Member
What is the category spend for the WF on cell phones, a 1x?
Yes, I know some folks insure their cell phones. This seems to be a better option cost wise. The feature is available to all Visa, MasterCard and American Express Cardholders issued by WF.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I just got a WF card by applying at a branch, and the CSR mentioned (wink,wink) that her daughter dropped hers in the sink a few weeks after she got the card and switched over the billing. :D

Brenton

Level 2 Member
I've commented about this at a few blogs, but here's my experience with that plan. It really is as good as it seems. I used this feature in August, and this is how it went for me.

July 28th I paid my Verizon bill in full with my wells fargo signature visa. At some point in between then and August 10th I "damaged" my phone. I filed the paperwork, I think directly to a visa subsidiary (so I'm not really sure how this would work with the Propel). After going back and forth in a few emails/calls so that they could verify I did actually have active service at the time of the damage, they ended up (no idea how) paying out $585 after I purchased an LG G3 (replaced a damaged Samsung Galaxy S3) out of contract for $600+tax. I paid for the new phone with a Chase Ink card, and after putting in a request (it was coded so as to not get 5x points) they actually ended up awarding me 5x points on the phone.

I also earned 20,000 points for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months, and used this before the onevanilla cards stopped working on bluebird. So for a no annual fee card, no monthly fee insurance, and a $25 deductible, this is really a fantastic benefit.

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
Signed up in the branch while closing a small account. I have to weigh the value of insurance for 3 iPhones vs the ink plus 5x URs. Bill is $220 per month. 1100 uR

F

Fuerza

So all you have to do is switch payment from whatever card is currently use to a WF card and it automatically covers your cell phone? Even though I've already have my phone contract for a few years?

pier11

Level 2 Member
(Not to previous poster)

I understand that phone should be on contract for the scheme to work. Not applicable to prepaid plans.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
So all you have to do is switch payment from whatever card is currently use to a WF card and it automatically covers your cell phone? Even though I've already have my phone contract for a few years?
In my case, payment is due on the 28th of each month. Once I've paid that, I automatically have coverage for the entire calendar month following that payment. I realize this puts me in the morally gray area, but let's just say I was willing to go the distance for the data point... I purchased the phone new through amazon in July of 2012. Sometime in the summer of 2013, it slid out of my pocket and fell about 6 inches and i put a single crack diagonally across the screen. It worked fine, so I put a screen protector on to keep it from getting worse and used it for another full year. I found out about the insurance in January of that year, and waited until a phone came out that I actually wanted to upgrade to. For that month only (every other month I pay it on my Chase Ink Plus) I paid using the WF card.

(Not to previous poster)

I understand that phone should be on contract for the scheme to work. Not applicable to prepaid plans.
Taken from the attached document under things that are NOT covered.
"Cellular Wireless Telephone which has been rented, leased or borrowed or Cellular Wireless Telephones that are received as part of a pre-paid plan."

Attachments

pier11

Level 2 Member
Do you need to send them the damaged device? Or otherwise show the damage?

Do you need evidence that the PHONE was on the contract you paid with WF card?

Trying to understand how it works in practice.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
I emailed a picture of the cracked screen and made sure that the verizon rep that sold me the phone noted that I was upgrading due to damaged equipment.

I also had to do a 3 way call with the cell phone protection people and verizon to verify the phone was part of that plan (I wasn't technically under contract ) b/c Verizon wasn't able to send the right information. (They could only provide IME instead of MEID, which was frustrating b/c they were basically the exam same numbers)

In practice it works slowly, but I think that two hours of my life was well worth a $585 check and a new phone out of contract.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I emailed a picture of the cracked screen and made sure that the verizon rep that sold me the phone noted that I was upgrading due to damaged equipment.
Interesting that you pulled it off, as "cosmetic damage" is specifically excluded in the current clause.

I detailed my claim experience here. Did not see this thread first. Mine should probably be merged here.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
Interesting that you pulled it off, as "cosmetic damage" is specifically excluded in the current clause.

I detailed my claim experience here. Did not see this thread first. Mine should probably be merged here.
I think the power of the customer on issues involving a touchscreen is that they're so (potentially) glitchy with damage. It may work perfectly for the agent, but less than half the time for the owner of the phone.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Filed a claim for a one year old phone that broke (LG G4). Bought a new phone (HTC 10) and asked for reimbursement. However, they would only reimburse the current retail price of the old phone, which is considerably less. I checked T&C and here's what it says:

Depending on the nature and circumstances of the damage or theft, the benefit administrator, at its sole discretion, may choose to repair or replace the Cellular Wireless Telephone or reimburse the Cardholder for the lesser of a) $600.00 excess of the twenty-five dollar ($25.00) deductible; or b) the current suggested retail price of a replacement Cellular Wireless Telephone of like kind and quality, excluding taxes, delivery and transportation charges and any fees associated with the Cellular Wireless Telephone service provider less the twenty-five dollar ($25.00) deductible.

I would say T&C seems to be on their side, but I know several who were reimbursed for an upgraded phone with their claim (including @Brenton upthread). Do you see a valid argument to be made for a newer phone? FWIW the old phone was purchased for $500.

Brenton

Level 2 Member
Considering the G4 was released in spring of 2015 and the 10 was released in spring of this year (more than 6 months ago) I think you 100% have a valid argument. At the time, I upgraded from a samsung GS3 to an LG G3, which was probably more than 2 years newer.

The G5 would be the closest equivalent and it came out at the exact same time as the 10. Hopefully it's a HUCA situtation for you. Good luck

strikeone92

My company pays for my cell bill (I use one phone for work and personal).

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount that must be charged to your phone bill for this benefit to apply?

Aka I think I could push a $1.00 CC payment a month to AT&T...not sure if this would work haha

Brenton

Level 2 Member
I'm fairly certain the bill has to be paid in full. Your best bet would be to pay it off prior to your company paying it and then either request a refund or something along those lines.

At the time that I got my first WF credit card I asked about paying half the bill (we had a family plan with 4 of us) and was told that wouldn't work.