Washington DC to Munich in Sept-Nov. 2015 - need help!

grebel

Level 2 Member
So I'm brand spanking new to redeeming points for awards. Trying to get myself and 3 family members to Munich next fall (October 2015 would be ideal). I've currently got 116k MR points, and my wife has 53k. We're also about to get a combined 100k US airways miles from each getting a Barclays US Airways card.

I'm trying to figure out where to transfer our combined MR points (169k total). ANA seems to be one option. Mid October came out to 45k miles per ticket with at least one flight available. It seems like there are options from BA, but the fuel charges are huge.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Economy tickets would be preferred. Seems the only realistic option.

grebel

Level 2 Member
Update: In the process of transferring my MR points to ANA. Looks like they have good availability in October to Munich from DC. Some flights with United as well, which I think saves me on fuel surcharges?

grebel

Level 2 Member
Final conclusion: Used 172,000 MR points, transferred to ANA. Used exactly 172,000 ANA points to fly on United, with an extra $98 per person in taxes. Seeing as this is my first trip, I have none to compare against? how'd I do?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
You did well, really well. UA charges 30K for one way in coach. So, for your 4 passengers, RT would be 60K x 4 or 240K. You spend 172K AMEX Rewards points. Taxes are $97.60 per ticket when purchased on UA, exactly the same as when ticketed on ANA. Good job!

smittytabb

Staff member
Nice first redemption. Now all the points collecting will seem more tangible. Hope you have a great trip!

grebel

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I certainly felt the adrenaline as I booked, I can see how this game hooks ya!