Warm trip ideas for January/February from ORD

cheryld

Level 2 Member
As I am driving myself completely nuts(not a long way to go) trying to look at too many destinations...I thought I would post here for ideas.

I plan a trip every winter for 4 of us, including my young twenties son and daughter. Son's only requirement is that there is a beach and we don't drag him to tour anything, or hike or bike, etc(unless it is in Orlando). Daughter wants there to be places to explore and doesn't want to sit on a beach the entire time(but hates Orlando). It was really fun finding common ground when they lived with us!

First year, visited the Keys. Second year, Bahamas and Atlantis. I could use my fall-back of Disney/Universal combined with a gulf coast beach location. That was useful to please everyone at least some of the time when they were younger.

But I would love to do something out of the US, as I have so many miles and points and using them on a family trip would make me happy(and hopefully everyone else as well!). So the problem is getting anywhere from ORD in the winter when I have only 5 days away allowed by my son. Leave Sunday return on Friday.

I've looked at Belize and Costa Rica. I had read that Belize is better in March as there are some north winds that affect their weather in January/February. Costa Rica doesn't have many flight options. Caribbean is really a problem as AA routes everything through MIA and all/most of ORD-MIA award flights are not available.

I have a ton of AA miles(thanks to Kenny), not many UA, but a lot of MR points so could 'buy' flights this way.

I even started thinking of the Galapagos as I think my son would think that was fun even if it doesn't meet his usual requirements. Not sure that this would work in such a short time frame.

Would appreciate any ideas/advice... thank you!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Not sure about what might work for your family...but Galapagos is not a particularly warm weather destination. Averages (both highs and lows) in Jan are in the mid 70's, and a fair amount of clouds.

It gets hotter, but also wetter, in Feb, and malaria becomes a real threat.

FWIW, Husband and I are going to Jamaica the end of Jan. Cost about 26K SW miles for him, I'm on a companion pass. Fees (most of which are assessed by Jamaica in one form or another) are a little over $90/person.

There are all manner of choices for your experience in Jamaica, from $500/person/night AIs, to little guest houses in the less crazy towns for under $150 for two people, including breakfast and kindly owners.

We picked the guest houses, and they're already paid and refunded with our Arrival+ miles.

Milestogo

I like Cozumel, beaches, great wandering through town, day trip to Xcaret is a great family day for all ages. Check it out.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
I live in Orlando, and you could easily be up against cold weather Jan./Feb - it's a crap shoot. Even The Keys are not necessarily south enough and can be downright chilly in your travel time-frame.

Caribbean cruise? No beach for your son though unless you do beach day shore excursions.