Visa Alternatives To The Chase Sapphire Preferred For International Travel

• Thread starter RamboAroundTheWorld
  • Start date
R

RamboAroundTheWorld

My annual fee has just hit and I've been doing some soul searching on my CSP in regards to keeping it or getting rid of it. I honestly don't need it in and of itself, but going over its protections and 2x points and lack of Forex fee has me reconsidering. I'd say just to use my Barclays Arrival, but some of the places I want to go only have access to the Visa network, so I prefer Visa to be my main card of choice. I'll probably be taking the Barclays as a backup anyway. The thing is, my travel spending will definitely NOT be high roller status. Think more hostels and cheap eats rather than Ritz's and spas. So I don't know if I'd even make up the $95 CSP fee in UR points. And I plan on applying for the Ritz card come September, but I have no idea what I'd do with just a few thousand banked RC points.

What are your thoughts?

pillow25

Level 2 Member
RC points can be used at Marriott's just like Marriott points and vice-versa. Also the current RC offer is 70k no AF / 140k $395 AF. In other words, you can get 1 night at a top-tier RC or 2 nights at a top-tier RC. Or several nights at Marriott.

Also some other less heralded benefits of CSP:
  • Trip delay/insurance/interruption - Barclay does have it but it is nowhere near as comprehensive or reimburses as much $$$ as CSP
  • Primary rental car insurance - supersedes your personal auto insurance
  • 7% dividend - I assume you got your card before they announced the end of that program
  • Also the ability to transfer the variety of airline programs - The debate of points vs. cash back has been chronicled extensively, but I believe if you're doing any international travel (and you travel for pleasure not business), you are better off with the CSP than a cash back card.
If you're looking for another Visa card, practically any card from Chase will work, but aside from the Ink cards, the points are not as flexible as CSP.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I was trying to avoid traveling the continent with a business card, so I didn't include the Ink. Too many hassles and scrutiny there.