Using someone else's AMEX promotional reference code

DanT

Level 2 Member
A relative got an email offer from AMEX for a business card. Can I use the reference code to apply for myself? Would they be able to use that code as well? Thanks.

gotmilk

Level 2 Member
The reference code comes pre-filled with your relatives name. I don't think you can change that. It is meant for only him.

DanT

Level 2 Member
I clicked on the link no information is pre-filled on the application. I may give this a shot when I have a chance.

Umashankar

Level 2 Member
In the past, yes these reference code has worked. Lot of forums has posted on public until amex has pulled out, Also I have some case where reference code are unique so try it.. YMMV :)

DanT

Level 2 Member
Quick update, gotmilk was right. The business info was blank but when I got to personal info it had his name and it could not be changed. Bummer.

Eric Bogs

In my experience, reference codes for personal Amex cards are tied to invitee (name + address).

Reference codes for business Amex cards sometimes work but will require some charming of the phone agent.

HSK

Level 2 Member
I applied for amex platinum business using my neighbours reference code in early 2015 and I received 100k sign up bonus.