USA-AUS/NZ-Fiji-PPT

sriki

Level 2 Member
I am trying to see if I can book a last minute (in award booking timelines) award to the Pacific for 2 adults. Ideal plan is to leave from the US to AUS to Fiji to NZ to Bora Bora. Travel dates are around Dec 23rd to Jan 17. Fiji is not working out in any way being sandwiched in between Aus and NZ. So, I am willing to drop it. Current plan is USA- AUS&NZ-Tahiti-USA with the same travel dates. I understand that award in business class are pratcically not feasible at this time. So, economy should do. So far, I did not find much success.

SEA-YVR-SYD AS/QF Dec 24th (gets to SYD on the 26th)
PPT-LAX AF Jan 17th

Assuming Fiji is out of the question, we are planning to stay in Aus until Jan 4th. Then, we head out to NZ and stay there until 12th and go to Tahiti to return back to the states on Jan 17th. The dates are flexible as is the order of the places.

My nearest airport is BTR. So, positioning flights is my middle name and NBD.

AA
Acct1: 250k
Acct2: 90k

Alaska: 114k

UA: 50k
SQ: 100k

MR: 80k (+ 200k on the way soon)
TYP: 50k + 50k

Based on what I have looked up so far, the prospects of this award do not look very good. Any suggestions?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I spent the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 in Australia. I booked it in Aug 2014, pretty late. HA J was the only available option and I took it. Found PDX-HNL-SYD on AA.com (overnight layover in HNL). Lots of bad press about the product but I would rate it the same as an angled flat. Note, AA is discontinuing redemption on HA between Hawaii and CONUS, but redemption on HA between Hawaii and int'l destinations remains (which is the case here).

NYE under the stars next to Sydney Opera House is one of the coolest things I've ever done. Highly recommended.

I think the USA-AUS ticket is going to be your hardest.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
just booked Singapore around Xmas on JL J (788 fully flat), which is wide open. See OMAAT. Might be worth considering. Would be 90K in J to continue to Oceania, but might be worth it in peak time.

sriki

Level 2 Member
just booked Singapore around Xmas on JL J (788 fully flat), which is wide open. See OMAAT. Might be worth considering. Would be 90K in J to continue to Oceania, but might be worth it in peak time.
I have looked the DFW-NRT availability before it the web yesterday. But, I cannot get from NRT to Aus/NZ/Fiji based on the availibility now.