US Bank Club Carlson - Is this churnable?

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
There is not a lot of love for this card, but it is one of my favorites. I have 4 of them between me and the Misses, and if you know how to book hotels right you can stay at baller properties in Paris, for example, for almost nothing.

There is not a lot of data points out there on US Bank, and I tried a quick search and yielded no worthy results. Does anyone know if this card is easily churnable (ignoring the fact they are difficult for any churner to get period due to 3rd party credit check)? What are the rules for them if so? I am coming up on some AFs and need to decide if I want to go for a churn or just keep these and eat the fee.

pstlb

Level 2 Member
I got approved for this card last year, surprisingly in spite of the 15 pulls in less than 12 months. When the annual fee came due in July, I looked at it again. $75 fee and 40K points anniversary bonus. I had to compare my usage of Radisson and the benefits of the card. I was able to stay 2 nights at the Radisson in Cannes and 2 nights at the Rad Blu in Vienna for free just on the signup bonus from the first year. The annual fee of $75 for 2 nights in Europe seems to be an excellent value for me for the spring 2015 trip. However, US domestic properties may not be the best use, so as they say, YMMV. Only you can decided. But, I assume this card is less churnable than others, as so many people on FT have been denied with the best of credit scores. Another benefit of gold status with the card, I was able to transfer points to my brother for no fee as he needed them for a last minute Europe trip. Points transfer to other gold members are fee free.

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
I got approved for this card last year, surprisingly in spite of the 15 pulls in less than 12 months. When the annual fee came due in July, I looked at it again. $75 fee and 40K points anniversary bonus. I had to compare my usage of Radisson and the benefits of the card. I was able to stay 2 nights at the Radisson in Cannes and 2 nights at the Rad Blu in Vienna for free just on the signup bonus from the first year. The annual fee of $75 for 2 nights in Europe seems to be an excellent value for me for the spring 2015 trip. However, US domestic properties may not be the best use, so as they say, YMMV. Only you can decided. But, I assume this card is less churnable than others, as so many people on FT have been denied with the best of credit scores. Another benefit of gold status with the card, I was able to transfer points to my brother for no fee as he needed them for a last minute Europe trip. Points transfer to other gold members are fee free.
Agreed, Europe is the way to use this card. We stayed at 2 boutique hotels in Paris (Le Metropolitan and Le Dohkan) and then stayed 4 nights for the price of 2 at the new and beautiful Art'otel in Amsterdam. Having multiples of this card and the 2 for 1 award nights is amazing value.

smittytabb

Staff member
Love this card. My husband just got one too so I am looking forward to being able to stack two 2 for 1 night reservations back to back. Had a great stay at the Radisson Blu on the Bosphorus in Istanbul and looking forward to staying at the Mayflower (at previous 50K rate) in London. I also have a stay coming up in Tahiti as well. I am a particular fan of hotel cards and this one is a definite keeper.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I dropped the card a while back and was denied when I tried to get again. Fico is 785 but they said I had too many inquiry. It took a visit to a branch and talking to a rep there for a reconsideration for it to be approved.

I wouldn't risk churning after my experience. On the other hand, if you have several available, losing one wouldn't hurt so bad.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I dropped the card a while back and was denied when I tried to get again. Fico is 785 but they said I had too many inquiry. It took a visit to a branch and talking to a rep there for a reconsideration for it to be approved.

I wouldn't risk churning after my experience. On the other hand, if you have several available, losing one wouldn't hurt so bad.
Did you get the signup bonus on the second try?

PedroNY

Level 2 Member
I am going to date myself, and I have no clue if this is even true anymore. Back when US Bank had a relationship with Northwest Airlines, I used to churn NWA card every 12 months, but again that was early 00s to mid 00s, not sure if it is applicable in this case.

Cheers,

PedroNY

deemkaa

Level 2 Member
Love this card. My husband just got one too so I am looking forward to being able to stack two 2 for 1 night reservations back to back. Had a great stay at the Radisson Blu on the Bosphorus in Istanbul and looking forward to staying at the Mayflower (at previous 50K rate) in London. I also have a stay coming up in Tahiti as well. I am a particular fan of hotel cards and this one is a definite keeper.
To hijack the thread for a moment: what are your other favorite hotel cards that you would recommend for someone to get?

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
I say don't bother trying to churn. The anniversary bonus is decent and the benefits of the card, especially if traveling to Europe, are worth it. I think it's the only hotel card that is worth bothering to MS with. I think of it as a 10x hotel points earning card (since I always take advantage of the free award nights).

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I agree, the annual bonus is pretty sweet so i dont bother churning, plus you keep getting these deals around spend x and get y points etc.