US Airways 50K increased sign-up - request match from recent 40k app

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
I recently signed up for the Barclays US Airways MC with the 40K sign-up bonus after the first purchase (plus 10,000 anniversary miles). I have been a cardholder for a little over a week.

Today they released a new sign-up offer for 50k after the first purchase but no anniversary miles unless you are a US Airways Preferred member (which I'm not). I just called them and I was unsuccessful in requesting a match to the new offer on my card- which I suppose is to be expected. She said that I would need to submit an application for a new card in order to obtain 50K offer.

Has anyone else who recently signed up tried to request a match and still retained their 10K anniversary bonus? Did you have success? If so, would like to hear about your experience. (and if you used email or phone support)

upload_2014-12-4_11-2-42.png

Last edited:

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I recently signed up for the Barclays US Airways MC with the 40K sign-up bonus after the first purchase (plus 10,000 anniversary miles). I have been a cardholder for a little over a week.

Today they released a new sign-up offer for 50k after the first purchase but no anniversary miles unless you are a US Airways Preferred member (which I'm not). I just called them and I was unsuccessful in requesting a match to the new offer on my card- which I suppose is to be expected. She said that I would need to submit an application for a new card in order to obtain 50K offer.

Has anyone else who recently signed up tried to request a match and still retained their 10K anniversary bonus? Did you have success? If so, would like to hear about your experience. (and if you used email or phone support)

View attachment 842
I too recently applied for the 40k signup offer. Anyone have any luck at all getting this matched up to the 50k? Is it just me or does Barclays like to make life difficult to both obtain credit cards (for those with multiple pulls in the last few months) and to get anything done from a customer service perspective?

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
I too recently applied for the 40k signup offer. Anyone have any luck at all getting this matched up to the 50k? Is it just me or does Barclays like to make life difficult to both obtain credit cards (for those with multiple pulls in the last few months) and to get anything done from a customer service perspective?
I think what is happening at Barclay is that the first tier of reps there are trained to give very rehearsed responses to everything you say and give away nothing. However, once I'm able to escalate my request past that tier, I've found the higher level reps to be much more helpful (and personable)l. The trick is saying the right thing to get past the first tier, which isn't always easy to do.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
If my wife applies for this card, can she put down my US Airways number and will the miles get credited into the same account?

smittytabb

Staff member
If my wife applies for this card, can she put down my US Airways number and will the miles get credited into the same account?
I am thinking not the best of ideas. I mean why? I mean if you want more miles for you, apply again. If you want her to apply, it needs to be for her account. Capisce?

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I sent a message to Barclays using their website asking for the match. I mentioned I don't even have the physical card yet. I'll report back on the results.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I sent a message to Barclays using their website asking for the match. I mentioned I don't even have the physical card yet. I'll report back on the results.
Looks like they will do it for me.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your US Airways Dividend Miles World MasterCard. Welcome to the BarclaycardUS family of credit cards! We can certainly address the rewards program on your account.

Originally you will be awarded with 40,000 bonus miles in the first billing cycle in which you have made a purchase or balance transfer that is not later returned or rescinded and your annual fee has been paid. However, once you have met all of the following criteria, please reply to this message for us to create a case regarding another 10,000 bonus miles.

You can check your earned miles for the month on our website at www.usairwaysmastercard.com, just go to the 'View rewards' tab and select 'Rewards history.' You can also redeem or confirm your total mileage, please visit the US AIRWAYS website at www.usairways.com, or contact US AIRWAYS by phone at 1-800-428-4322; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Service."

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Rumors of the bonus for weeks. Finally hit. Some early FT reports of people even just applied the last few days getting denied the extra 10k. One said yes. Maybe that's the same guy as here. Worth a call or two or three.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Rumors of the bonus for weeks. Finally hit. Some early FT reports of people even just applied the last few days getting denied the extra 10k. One said yes. Maybe that's the same guy as here. Worth a call or two or three.
I don't post on FT, so it must be 2! I don't actually have the card yet; it's still in the mail. Maybe that is why they are being more lenient. :shrug:

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Nice, I'd say if 2 had success definitely worth the call then. Note many people lately who applied for the preferred link, with 40 +10, were already getting 50 at first purchase plus annual fee.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I got the card 2 weeks ago, called and without further ado, the CSR gave me the 10 K miles. Wife will try tomorrow.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Not from actual experience because why would I want to have my spouse not have the opportunity to use it for their own miles?
Because 100k in 1 account is worth more than 50k in 2 accounts each. You can book for your spouse from your account and vice versa.

smittytabb

Staff member
Because 100k in 1 account is worth more than 50k in 2 accounts each. You can book for your spouse from your account and vice versa.
I understand the math. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't just apply again yourself. There are lots of reports of people getting a second US Airways card with an open one already. Attaching two different names to the same frequent flyer account is not something I would try. Only using one account per two people is limiting. If she has her own miles in her own account, if there is ever a share miles promotion again, you have two to share between. But just as a general practice, I would not want to see one person in a couple put everything in their name only, especially if they don't even know you are doing it.

Erin

Level 2 Member
I'm not sure about a second one but I churned it this fall and had no problem getting one ~6 weeks after closing my first. Unfortunately I couldn't get the 50k upgrade as I opened the account before Nov 1.

Text from SM:

You will be eligible to receive the additional 10,000 Miles, which will be added to your 40,000 Bonus Miles if you meet all of the following criteria:

• Must have an open date at least of November 1, 2014 or later.
• Make a first transaction.
• Pay the annual fee.
• Keep the account up to date.

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
Looks like they will do it for me.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your US Airways Dividend Miles World MasterCard. Welcome to the BarclaycardUS family of credit cards! We can certainly address the rewards program on your account.

Originally you will be awarded with 40,000 bonus miles in the first billing cycle in which you have made a purchase or balance transfer that is not later returned or rescinded and your annual fee has been paid. However, once you have met all of the following criteria, please reply to this message for us to create a case regarding another 10,000 bonus miles.

You can check your earned miles for the month on our website at www.usairwaysmastercard.com, just go to the 'View rewards' tab and select 'Rewards history.' You can also redeem or confirm your total mileage, please visit the US AIRWAYS website at www.usairways.com, or contact US AIRWAYS by phone at 1-800-428-4322; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Service."
Matt S NYC, assuming you used the website to send your request, what dept did you send your secure message to? (complaint/compliment? benefits?)

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
New offer for the 50K miles AND the 10K anniversary sign up! With this offer, you can truly ask for a match from the 40K + 10K and they can't reply that you are getting the same amount of miles as the current publicly available offer of 50K with no anniv bonus. Now you have a direct response to that by saying this offer is truly the better one by 10k miles.

I've anonymized the link, here it is:
http://anonym.to/?https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1995&cellNumber=5

upload_2014-12-5_10-49-52.png

PointsCentric

Level 2 Member
The only issue I see is if Barclays then actually checks if you are a Preferred member with US Air if they match you to the 50k + 10k offer above (since it says it exclusively for Preferred members). I have no experience to back this up - just wanted to point out a possible issue with this approach.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Matt S NYC, assuming you used the website to send your request, what dept did you send your secure message to? (complaint/compliment? benefits?)
I sent it to "other account related inquiries." I figure when you send it there, you have the best chance of getting someone who can actually do something for you. At worst, they forward it to the right department.

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
I sent it to "other account related inquiries." I figure when you send it there, you have the best chance of getting someone who can actually do something for you. At worst, they forward it to the right department.
Thats a good plan! I got impatient and sent it to "Complaint/Compliment"- who knows whats going to come from that...maybe its irrelevant in the end.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Do you know this from actual experience or are you just guessing?
When you get miles for a CC in your name, those miles are linked to your SSN.

I have no personal experience of attempting to link another person's mileage account to a CC. But, as they are two separate people, it should not, logically, work. Even if your wife gets the miles in her own name, there are frequently bonus offers, where one can transfer miles to someone else, and get extra miles out of it, based on the number transferred; for enough miles, it can even be doubled, with some of the offers.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Loyalty Lobby has a post today about Dividend Miles audits. Mostly about sharing miles to self, and using miles, etc, not about credit cards. But if you apply for the "Preferred" bonus, just be aware of the possibility you don't get what you wanted.

On the other hand though, the FT thread always refers to people who used the preferred link and then didn't get a bonus because they weren't actually preferred - but I've never actually seen a reply that says it happened to the actual person posting. It's always reference to "somebody a few pages ago" or something like that. So maybe it's a myth.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Ummm. Preferred link a few posts back takes me to a credit union. Is that a referral link?

Last edited:

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I have had the US Air Div card for more than a year. Can i apply for and get a second one?
I suggest you read the last 10 or so pages of the FT thread (always a good idea when getting ready to hit the apps). You'll likely see a wide array of Barclays rules applied without much discernible logic. Neither my wife nor I have never been able to get a second Barclays card when we have one open. We are declined with comment that "You have sufficient credit available". So we have to cancel everything to start over. OTOH, I have a friend who with spouse has 5-6 US cards open at the same time.

The one thing that seems pretty universal is that you want an automated response, as speaking to a human at Barlcays is not a good idea for churners, though again some have talked their way into 'just one more card.'.

Panache

Level 2 Member
The only issue I see is if Barclays then actually checks if you are a Preferred member with US Air if they match you to the 50k + 10k offer above (since it says it exclusively for Preferred members). I have no experience to back this up - just wanted to point out a possible issue with this approach.
Wife and I signed up with the preferred link on FT and the one posted above 3 weeks ago (then the signup was 40K miles + 10 K at 1 yr anniversary). No issues. Cardmember agreement that arrived with the mail says we will each get 10 K miles after 1 year.

Per FT, it seems the "preferred member" is really loosely enforced.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Rejected on the 50k match. I sent in the request via SM (other account related inquiries), and they said no. I got my current 40k card right around Nov 1. I've had one statement close.

Should have pointed out how much I use my Arrival card. ;)

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Datapoint on the 50k match: Got 3 US Air cards for 3 family members in my last AOR on 12/2 through the 40k + 10k link. All 3 calls to Barclays customer service worked to get the 50k offer, although 1 of them was a little bit hairy. My mother had to tell the CSR who was balking on the match that she would happily close the card and reapply through the 50k link which quickly resulted in approval of the 50k match. Even had that not worked, she almost certainly could have just HUCA.

I'm hopeful the cards will get the 10k extra at the end of the year, although my family members are not preferred.

ACL

Level 2 Member
Data point: Probably shouldn't have applied for the US Airways card today as I applied in October and received my first denial for a card ever (including after recon call). Decided I might as well "try again" today less than 2 months later and was, unsurprisingly, denied by their system. Called in, because that's just what you do right...? Fully expected to get denied again out right but spoke to a very nice rep who I became even fonder of when he approved the card with the 50k bonus and a decent CL.

SanSan

Level 2 Member
I SMed and was told that the account needed to be applied for after Nov. 1. We were Oct 24.
Gong....