Understanding cognitive bias in the Travel game.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Cognitive bias refers to the topic of how your logical approach to a topic may be influenced by factors surrounding it. There are many manifestations of this phenomenon being explored by much smarter folk than myself, today I’d like to play with loyalty program devaluations and the bias of Anchoring.

Anchoring is the bias that means we focus too much of our decision making on the initial ‘anchor point’ being set, rather than using a broader evaluation. This classically occurs within an award program devaluation. Club Carlson is a fine example of this. We have just gone from a program that granted the last night free, to just not. What does that mean?

If we anchor our decision, it means that they gutted the program, and its devalued our points, and ruined all our hopes and dreams. Some of this is true but the critical point to consider is ‘does it really matter?’

Of course, a hoarder will pay the price here, but one hopes by now that they have already baked in devaluations to their ‘valuation’ when they elect to earn points over cash back (and cash back over something more rewarding). But does it really matter to the hoarder? Let’s say you have far too many Club Carlson points… a number of say, 1,000,000. You could previously have used them for 50K redemptions using BOGO awards creating 40 nights for ‘free’. The reality is that there are a lot more people that could own 1M points than can redeem them in Club Carlson properties in a year.

So if we ignore anchoring, you have 20 free nights, which is still pretty awesome. Its time to move on.

Do you earn more?

This is the question to ask. Should you, after a gutting devaluation, continue to earn these points? The answer should not be influenced by the devaluation other than using it to reprice opportunity. The trouble here is that you have a quite complex equation.

It starts off with: can you beat 2.2%?

That’s the easy baseline, if we are looking at future travel discounts, can we beat the trusty (until they devalue it) Arrival card? If focus on that 50K award night again, we have 50K vs $220 on $10K of spend. For me, I’d say I’d be hard pressed to spend more than $220 on a hotel, though the hotels that I stay in do often cost more than $220 per night. Let’s look at Aruba (which is where I happened to burn up 4 nights of club carlson awards). Anything remotely ‘decent’ in terms of a hotel is going to come in around $500 per night during my trip there. That’s a lot of Arrival points… in fact its too many.

And here’s when things get complicated..

I don’t travel all that much compared to some in the game, but even now I stretch my limits in terms of having hotels covered. The Arrival card is epic because it gives that tiny 10% kick back.. but its strength also lies in the flexibility. If you have a budget that includes ‘other travel’ such as the MTA in new york, or peripheral items, this is when the arrival can become great.

Using the Arrival on hotels is a waste, if it means you have to pay cash for your subway ticket. It is exactly the same as paying cash for your hotel!

So what to do? In my case, I need more hotel points. And 50K Club Carlson points is still better value at the right time than $220 in Arrival pesos.

Time waits for no man…

The other problem we all face is lack of time. Each of our schedules is different, but for me, I simply have very little time to create points, and when I do I can see that something else must give. So with that in mind, despite the value I place on Club Carlson points above, I wouldn’t waste my time on them, at least not at 5x.

The solution

Apply for new credit cards. Forget the devaluation. Think about what points you need, and what offers match that need. Diversification is important as your travel plans may include options where a certain brand is strong. This means that I would have to look at a list of cards and select based upon opportunity value.

Questions to ask:

• How many cards can I get per year?
  • Will that cover my travel needs?
  • Am I losing the chance to get transferable points by applying for a crappy hotel program?
  • Is it worth manufacturing points beyond this?
  • When is a point redemption less value than paying cash?
I’d still apply for the card, if I needed to.

The devaluation certainly changes the price value of a point, but if the redemption value is still greater than the cash alternative, it is still a win. With that in mind, the Club Carlson card is still worth applying for. The current signup bonus is 97500 points for spending $2500 (100K for $3000). That is an opportunity cost of $66 on the spend, and $75 on the fee. For $141 you get 2 nights at a hotel that might otherwise require you to spend $800-$1000.

The Math: Is $141 and a hard pull on your credit worth 2 nights in a hotel?

The real key here is to factor this into your actual travel plans. If you are going somewhere that is otherwise expensive, yet attainable on points, then you should start thinking about gaining them. It is a goal orientated approach.

I feel the same way about all hotel points. I only earn SPG because they have diversification to airlines. I don’t collect Hyatt points because I can collect Ultimate Rewards… but if i’m thinking to go to Paris, then I’d apply for the Hyatt card and Vendome that trip, keeping the URs for something else.

Conclusion

It’s important to have a duality at times. This means that you make calculated decisions internally, and yet present a different face to the outside world. I do wonder when I see people complaining about this gutting whether they really are upset, or if they are just faking it to keep pressure on the loyalty programs…. I think at the very least it is important to realize its still a deal, and not to be upset over it. Remember, if you get upset when the market tanks, it means your risk profile is off, and you have too much invested in one position. Duality can be a good strategy if you want to manipulate people, but it can also feel a little cheap.

The post Understanding cognitive bias in the Travel game. appeared first on Travel.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

plane2port

Level 2 Member
I believe the cognitive bias here is by those that are amassing points of a certain currency with a specific goal in mind. Say you were planning a trip to Madrid in Spring of 2016, and were specifically collecting AA miles and CC points. Your plans might involve a timeline of collecting a certain number of points per month in each of these programs. What if you were halfway to your goal, and one of them changes their program (as CC just did)? You have to change your strategy to make the trip work.

The reason I like to keep a war chest of points in different programs is so I can avoid this situation. I know that one or more of these programs will change or devalue, but it is likely that I can use alternate points in another program.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the cognitive bias here is by those that are amassing points of a certain currency with a specific goal in mind. Say you were planning a trip to Madrid in Spring of 2016, and were specifically collecting AA miles and CC points. Your plans might involve a timeline of collecting a certain number of points per month in each of these programs. What if you were halfway to your goal, and one of them changes their program (as CC just did)? You have to change your strategy to make the trip work.

The reason I like to keep a war chest of points in different programs is so I can avoid this situation. I know that one or more of these programs will change or devalue, but it is likely that I can use alternate points in another program.
Something I have been wondering about is opening up the notion of points marketplaces to avoid this.

For example... I need 105K DL. I have (will have) about 95K MR, can top that up. I can also earn DL using the ST card. However, if I embarked upon specific collection of these DL points it would likely take me several months to accumulate, so despite them being 'cheap' they bring in too much risk.

As such, it is likely that I will transfer my MR to DL to lock in my flights, and maybe casually build up a DL stash, since the price point means that they can be acquired without real concern for devaluation (barring a status play).

I asked yesterday (twitter) what people would value my MR at, and most said 1:1. I don't think that is necessarily accurate, which is a bigger question to explore, but I think that transferable points, and a stronger market place for them can alleviate a lot of these issues.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
The funny part about anchoring and the arrivals card is that I view those points as strictly my travel slush fund. I will potentially MS what I need to offset my spring tickets to Universal Studios and a rental car, and I am a smidge stressed about MS'ing enough to cover these "needs". Now these costs are about $800, and I have half already. I have other cash back amounts that have been piling up in other accounts, but those, are cash. I am anchored in my behavior to treat the cash as cash, and the points as for fun. But the only difference in the $480 of cash from my fidelity card and the 40k I want to build up in my arrivals account is a personal bias against spending my cash loot, versus my points loot.

plane2port

Level 2 Member
Something I have been wondering about is opening up the notion of points marketplaces to avoid this.

For example... I need 105K DL. I have (will have) about 95K MR, can top that up. I can also earn DL using the ST card. However, if I embarked upon specific collection of these DL points it would likely take me several months to accumulate, so despite them being 'cheap' they bring in too much risk.

As such, it is likely that I will transfer my MR to DL to lock in my flights, and maybe casually build up a DL stash, since the price point means that they can be acquired without real concern for devaluation (barring a status play).

I asked yesterday (twitter) what people would value my MR at, and most said 1:1. I don't think that is necessarily accurate, which is a bigger question to explore, but I think that transferable points, and a stronger market place for them can alleviate a lot of these issues.
Do you have any experience with the website points dot com? I read about it occasionally but have never used it. Seems like you can trade points there.

smittytabb

Staff member
Do you have any experience with the website points dot com? I read about it occasionally but have never used it. Seems like you can trade points there.
Have used it a few times, mostly to unload miles in programs where I won't be accumulating more (such as IcelandAir) and converting to something more useful. Haven't been on there in awhile.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm suggesting peer to peer trading to avoid the costs that a third party site has.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
For my wife and I, I put 235K AA miles toward BOS-HKG-SIN in CX biz and HKG-LAX-PHX-MSP in CX/US 1st, and 120K UA miles toward SIN-BKK-HKG in TG biz and 1st respectively. I don't remember what the trip would have cost out of pocket, but it was something like $24K/person. And I still need to handle the MSP-BOS legs.

I am valuing the redemptions at the price of coach, considering that I would never drop that much actual cash on flight tix. Even at that I think I did OK, considering that these tickets would be roughly $2500 total if I scraped the bottom of the barrel of rotten potatoes.

On the other hand, I will never again in this lifetime take a flight over 8 hours in coach for a vacation, not on any airline. My choices at this point in my life would be short hopping across the Pacific via Hawaii and Japan or going someplace cheap in the EU.

So, clearly the valuation should be something above coach. I'm conflicted.

Paul

Level 2 Member

Agreed. Putting all eggs in one basket is a recipe for frustration and disappointment in the travel hacking game. Things have to go perfectly for anything other than the most basic trip to fit together. Have to have the right seats at the right airline at the right time for the right points to the right destination. Newcomers often find using miles more challenging than earning them.

Flexibility is key to a successful award trip. Some people are flexible with their time and or the quality of seats/rooms and can make things work. But if you want a few of the scarce premium seats and premium rooms/locations, you need flexible award currencies and/or multiple programs with large balances to select from.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Agreed. Putting all eggs in one basket is a recipe for frustration and disappointment in the travel hacking game. Things have to go perfectly for anything other than the most basic trip to fit together. Have to have the right seats at the right airline at the right time for the right points to the right destination. Newcomers often find using miles more challenging than earning them.

Flexibility is key to a successful award trip. Some people are flexible with their time and or the quality of seats/rooms and can make things work. But if you want a few of the scarce premium seats and premium rooms/locations, you need flexible award currencies and/or multiple programs with large balances to select from.
Which makes earn to burn a bit more challenging than we'd like. :(

Paul

Level 2 Member
Which makes earn to burn a bit more challenging than we'd like. :(
Lol. Yes. Burning is the challenging part. But I believe in brute force - >10MM in my Awardwallet account despite mostly concentrating on cash back over the last year. Lots of cheap miles in a lot of programs gives me plenty of choice when things don't work as I hope.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Lol. Yes. Burning is the challenging part. But I believe in brute force - >10MM in my Awardwallet account despite mostly concentrating on cash back over the last year. Lots of cheap miles in a lot of programs gives me plenty of choice when things don't work as I hope.
Since I don't partake of Simon, or really any MS process where I trade cash for miles and points, 10M balances would be a pretty tough row for me to hoe.

But I am doing OK with my priorities:

* Big international vacay: flights are booked, hotel points are mostly in the bag, barring a sudden deval.
* 4 GRR-MSP-GRR round trips for family Xmas: 1/2 way there, need 50K more miles to finish that off.
* $2K to $3K CB monthly via WF and OBC through August, when my OBC gets capped.

Just need to squeeze in $40K of Amex Surpass somewhere in there before August.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Your instincts are right. Even completely ignoring the Delta-bashing, this is a stupid (or perhaps I should say cognitively biased? :D) valuation.

1. You can always take your MR and convert them to DL at 1:1, and incur zero risk of violating any program T&C. So it would almost never make sense to do a trade at 1:1 and incur additional risk in the process. So MR are always at least equal to D, 1:1 is a hard floor.

2. You are decreasing the flexibility of your MR by locking them in to DL. For example, say you need a short-haul flight on a route served by AA. BA can often be a fraction of the cost (less than 50%) of DL for US domestic flights. With MR, you have both options. So MR is always greater-than-or-equal-to MR

3. MR frequently offers transfer bonuses. If you wait long enough, you'll probably stumble into an MR offer where you get a 20-40% bonus to transfer to an airline partner. Almost all of my MR have been transferred to various airlines during a 30-40% promo. That possibility adds additional value to MR, pushing the MR firmly into a higher value than DL miles.

I would guesstimate that the market value for MR is at least 1.6 cents per mile. You should easily be able to get 1.5 cpm by converting MR to SQ miles and selling those in large chunks for SQ F Suites redemptions.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if DL was even worth 1.2 CPM, and maybe as low as 1.1 CPM. Wandering Aramean did a nice analysis where he figured out that the published 'low award' availability for DL was only a few days out of the whole year on at least one common domestic routes. And that was before Delta decided to un-publish the award chart. :D About the only reliable DL redemption at the moment is Virgin Australia J. <shrug>
I'm suggesting peer to peer trading to avoid the costs that a third party site has.
You mean like Coupon Connection on FT? :cool:

Seriously, though, with points.com you pay a big penalty for trading through a 'legitimate' venue. (i.e. sanctioned by the participating programs) The loyalty programs intentionally stifle any open market by making trading and selling against the rules. I think they do it primarily for tax and accounting purposes; it's easier to cook the books/reduce taxes when you are dealing with a liability/asset that technically has no value on the open market. It also makes it easier to do completely arbitrary devaluations at will with few legal consequences. :p

FWIW, it should not be hard to find a sensible trade partner who would give you 105k DL in exchange for 95k MR. Of course, it's always the safer option to accrue the miles legitimately, and I'm sure you won't have any problem coming up with the additional 10k DL.

So, clearly the valuation should be something above coach. I'm conflicted.
I think for people who have trouble flying coach, a fair valuation for 'what I might have actually paid' would be the cost of the coach ticket plus the cost of upgrading. For example, on AA TPACs, a the very worst case, you can upgrade from deep-discount coach to business for $350 plus 25k AA miles. Valuing AA miles at 1.5 cpm, that would be $725 per ticket for the upgrade plus the cost of the coach ticket. This would serve as an upper bound for a realistic valuation.

Last edited: