Traveling to Europe in June

HalPert

Hello fellow travelers,

My wife and I are traveling to Slovakia for a friend's celebration in June. Our plan at the moment is to leave the states from DC on 7 June, and leave Europe on 14 June. Thus far we've looked into flying into either Vienna or Prague.

Using Skyscanner.com, it definitely appears Prague is the cheaper option of the two, though a Virgin Atlantic flight connecting with a British Airways flight could get us to Vienna for a reasonable price too (connection in London). We always prefer direct flights, but since those run around ~$2,000+ each, we're going to brave a connection/layover this time. We have not booked flights or hotels yet.

Our preference is to explore either Vienna or Prague, go to the celebration in Slovakia on June 11, then spend a day in another nearby city, and fly back to the states on the 14th.

I am not really a travel hacker, more of a deal-hunter, but any "hacking" tips that could help us snag a better deal are appreciated. Credit card wise, I have the Capital One VentureOne card with about $357 worth of "miles" built up; the Citi DC card; Discover It; Chase Freedom; Hilton Citi Card (no annual fee version, about 100,000 points on it at the moment); and the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred.

As far as rewards programs go, I am a member of TrueBlue (which we likely will never use again since they lost my wife's luggage on her honeymoon and didn't find it for almost 2 months, and refused to compensate us with any miles or vouchers even though they ruined our honeymoon), United Mileage Plus, Virgin Elevate, and Hilton Honors.

So my question is, are there any tips/tricks to get a decent-priced or discounted fare for a direct flight to Vienna or Prague (or comparable city distance-wise), and does anyone have recommendations for properties in Vienna or Prague? Any other tips for exploring this part of Europe would be appreciated as well. We like to visit castles, museums, historic homes, etc.

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to the group.

-Paul

jlang

Level 2 Member
I loved Prague. Went a few years ago and really dug the architecture, food, and prices! There's a ton of old buildings and streets to get lost on. People were really friendly too.

We stayed at both hiltons. Both were really nice; really liked the lounge in the Hilton not in old town - three settings a day, and open to golds. Either one is walkable to anywhere you'd want to go in the city

HalPert

Thank you for the info jlang! It looks like we'll be booking our tickets this week, legend has it that 176 days in advance is when to purchase tickets to Europe. Hopefully our planning and journey will go smoothly :)

Disc Golf Guy

Level 2 Member
Vienna and Prague are both amazing places and sound like they would fit in with you plans, but I would give the edge to Prague. The architecture is amazing, and the Old Town has a certain magical quality to it. I can't offer any advice on hotels, but we have had great luck with renting apartments all over Europe. We love the extra space, having a kitchen, and you also get to interact with locals that way, often finding tips that you would not otherwise discover.

HalPert

Thank you for the info - we may just look at the apartment option. Prague is likely where we'll fly into since it appears it's significantly less expensive than Vienna. We are probably going to book our flights this week, so I'll keep you guys posted!

kodiak jack

Level 2 Member
HalPert,
You should definitely follow @TheFlightDeal on Twitter. Very frequent posting of nice airfare deals to europe. i don't know where you're leaving from, but several major gateways have had sub-$500 fares to Europe recently.
chicago - munich 495
NY/ORD - Paris 492
ORD - Netherlands 492

Oh, check it, NY/ORD - Vienna also 492 round trip! Details are here: https://t.co/jiotNfxOWG Hope it helps.

HalPert

Thank you for the resource, kodiak! We're traveling during peak season so finding a fare this inexpensive will be difficult, and we're leaving from DC...it seems deals flying out of IAD are a tad more difficult to come by than from ORD or JFK (at least in my experience).