To Mac or not to Mac?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm one of the dying few PC users out there. I do have an iPhone5 (not rushing to get a 6) and I do have a Mac Mini for my media center... the big question is, do I get a Macbook?

Frankly, if PCs kept coming out with new hardware and windows 7 I wouldn't even question it, but 8 just annoys the hell out of me, I really dislike the way the windows work, and I find OS X as a GUI more in tune with the 7 feel. Of course, there is a good chance that Macs will move in a similar direction once they go touchscreen...

I'm on the fence right now, and also can't decide which model to get if I do - I have already ruled out the Air for being too light on tech specs, and am wondering if the 13inch Macbook Pro will provide me with enough performance, or if I should go for a 15 inch model. I'm somewhat used to 13 inch screens now and happy with their portability, but looking at specs it seems the 15inch Pro operates at about twice the benchmark as the 13.

The prices bother me, but I am at the point where I want a fast machine that doesn't mess up - my 8,1 laptop now won't play sounds, and I'm sick of updating software constantly to resolve things like this. I think the one thing that I am considering as an alternative would be Linux, so if anyone is using that and has input let me know... else I'll be sad to fork out a ton of money on an overpriced piece of equipment.

StammesOpfer

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Linux is hard to recommend. It has improved by leaps and bounds but really it depends on what you need. Linux can be run from a live disk no install required. You lose nothing by giving that a shot. Try Ubuntu everyone has their favorite flavor of Linux but Ubuntu is probably the best supported out there. Do you just need a web browser? Check out a Chromebook. Need more than a browser, will the apps you need run on OS X? Or hold off a little longer Windows 9 preview is supposed to be dropping soon and Windows seems to be good every other version cycle. (98 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 9 ???). Apple makes some well built computers and you can always install windows on them but I can't get past the price and limitations of Mac OS

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It's the price that kills it for me too, plus to be frank using OS X it isn't perfect, even from a design perspective... I do need more than just a browser as I do a fair bit of technical work, plus I am just extremely testy when it comes to slow moving hardware. I also noticed some new chips called Sky Lake coming next year, so might be best to wait on those in any case...

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
Buy a used laptop on ebay and tack on a 2 year square trade warranty. I recently got an acer V5-572P-6858 for $350 on ebay, like new. any pc you buy new is going to have windows 8 unfortunately. so unless you are able to get 7 for free or cheap, then id go with a used laptop with a warranty. 8GB ram, 1.8 or greater mhz processor, and a SSD will get you more then enough power for your needs (thats what i develop on, and its plenty fast).

if you dont want an overpriced piece of equipment, you wont buy a macbook. if you are looking for a good deal, its hard to go wrong with any laptop on slickdeals with a 30+ rating. theres a hot laptop deal out pretty much every week. check out some of the past deals to get an idea of some of the specs that are important to you, then when the next deal comes out, check if it has the specs you want and pull the trigger. dont worry so much about make or model, just worry about the specs/hardware. Hardware fails are not usually respective of make/model, as its all made in asia, and thats why you buy a warranty.

one thing; touchscreen is all the craze. i got one to try it out, but truth be told, unless its a tablet, you wont really use it like one, because its awkward reaching across the keyboard. just my 2 cents from recent experience. besides, you dont like windows 8, and thats all about touch anyways, so yea, dont feel the need for touchscreen.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
I switched over to Mac 3 years ago and will never go back. I'm a pretty competent computer user but I find that everything is just so much more intuitive on my Macbook Pro and that I enjoy using my computer more than I ever have before. Before abandoning PC, I tried Linux and didn't have the patience to struggle with it on a daily basis. My husband has a computer with Windows 8 and I think it is an absolute nightmare.

F

Fuerza

I'm ready to switch to Mac also. I really love Apple products, it took a lot of self discipline to not my a new iPhone 6+ when it was released. Once my windows based computers give up the ghost I will switch to Mac. Check out Mac Mall for deals or Apple refurbished products direct.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
I'm one of the dying few PC users out there. I do have an iPhone5 (not rushing to get a 6) and I do have a Mac Mini for my media center... the big question is, do I get a Macbook?

Frankly, if PCs kept coming out with new hardware and windows 7 I wouldn't even question it, but 8 just annoys the hell out of me, I really dislike the way the windows work, and I find OS X as a GUI more in tune with the 7 feel. Of course, there is a good chance that Macs will move in a similar direction once they go touchscreen...

I'm on the fence right now, and also can't decide which model to get if I do - I have already ruled out the Air for being too light on tech specs, and am wondering if the 13inch Macbook Pro will provide me with enough performance, or if I should go for a 15 inch model. I'm somewhat used to 13 inch screens now and happy with their portability, but looking at specs it seems the 15inch Pro operates at about twice the benchmark as the 13.

The prices bother me, but I am at the point where I want a fast machine that doesn't mess up - my 8,1 laptop now won't play sounds, and I'm sick of updating software constantly to resolve things like this. I think the one thing that I am considering as an alternative would be Linux, so if anyone is using that and has input let me know... else I'll be sad to fork out a ton of money on an overpriced piece of equipment.
I recently tried going back to Windows when replacing my 7 year old MBP in January this year. I ruled out Dells because of my many bad experiences with them over the years (both through work and personal cpus), and HP due to their poor reputation overall. I tried 2 Lenovos-- a Y series consumer model that was DOA, and a high end T series that bricked itself after 2 weeks. Then I went back and purchased a 15" retina MBP, and have been very satisfied ever since. No fiddling, tight build, good keyboard, and it just works. Yes macs are pricey, but a similarly equipped PC (same CPU, RAM, graphics, display and HDD) isn't all that much cheaper. But still, a MBP is very much a luxury product.

With regards for 13 vs 15, it depends what kind of work you do. Powerpoint and Excel? 13" should be fine. Something more graphically intensive? 15 or even 17 inch might be better. Will you be traveling with it often? Ever tried using a 15" laptop in economy? It's almost impossible to open the laptop fully if the guy in front of you puts his seat back. However, once you get to the hotel that larger screen sure is nice. For me 13" is too small to work with, but YMMV.

I wouldn't worry about the benchmarks too much unless you are doing something really demanding. 5 year old computers have enough power to run MS Office, check email and use a web browser. Will you frequently be doing something CPU intensive such as video editing or using CAD tools? Any gaming on the side?

According to Intel, Skylake is coming out in the second half of 2015, and that's assuming there are no schedule slips. Whenever Intel's next chipset comes it is far from certain, but what is certain is this: Whenever you decide to buy, there will always be new hardware coming out next year.

As far a Linux goes, there's a bit of a learning curve if you're never used it before. I dunno how technically savvy you are, but seeing as how you are about to become a new parent (or are you already? I haven't been on the forums much lately) it may not be the best time to try and configure your first Linux box.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Windows 8 was developed with the Brooklyn Zoo and the chimpanzee exhibit, so its not really recommend for human consumption. There are a few Windows laptops out there, and Windows 9 is eventually coming out, so that's something. But I'd recommend Mac. Nothing like overpaying for your computer. Its very freeing.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
I love my Mac! I've been very happy with my Macbook air. Windows 8 is just goofy and very frustrating. I purchased one for my dad...he hated it, couldn't get it to work right. I thought it was him. I tried using it, and not at all user friendly.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
Buy a used laptop on ebay and tack on a 2 year square trade warranty. I recently got an acer V5-572P-6858 for $350 on ebay, like new. any pc you buy new is going to have windows 8 unfortunately. so unless you are able to get 7 for free or cheap, then id go with a used laptop with a warranty. 8GB ram, 1.8 or greater mhz processor, and a SSD will get you more then enough power for your needs (thats what i develop on, and its plenty fast).

if you dont want an overpriced piece of equipment, you wont buy a macbook. if you are looking for a good deal, its hard to go wrong with any laptop on slickdeals with a 30+ rating. theres a hot laptop deal out pretty much every week. check out some of the past deals to get an idea of some of the specs that are important to you, then when the next deal comes out, check if it has the specs you want and pull the trigger. dont worry so much about make or model, just worry about the specs/hardware. Hardware fails are not usually respective of make/model, as its all made in asia, and thats why you buy a warranty.

one thing; touchscreen is all the craze. i got one to try it out, but truth be told, unless its a tablet, you wont really use it like one, because its awkward reaching across the keyboard. just my 2 cents from recent experience. besides, you dont like windows 8, and thats all about touch anyways, so yea, dont feel the need for touchscreen.
I beg to differ. The make and model do actually make a difference. Last I heard (not that I check often or care very much) Lenovos tended to have less repairs than other brands. If you are planning on traveling with your laptop then get a business class notebook (e.g. dell latitude, lenovo T series, etc.). The consumer models have weak frames and flex a lot. Flex is not good on PCBs. They'll likely break after 2 years under the stress of regular travel. If you pick up a notebook by one corner and see any flex, it's meant to stay on a desk and not in a travel bag.

Yeah all the components are made in asia, but there's something to be said for the assembly and ensuring adequate cooling, creating stable drivers, and whatnot. Not all laptops are created equally in that department. There's a reason most corporate IT departments pay extra for Latitudes over Inspirions.

Also, if 1.8MHz is all you're after I have an old 8086 that might interest you :).

Sooner

Level 2 Member
Macs are front loaded--pay more up front, and reap the benefits for a long, long time afterwards. I've used Macs since college (512K!), and never had a lemon yet. My son thought he knew better, went with PC and after a year of misery, bought a new MBP.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I switched over to Mac 6 years ago...last October, I purchased my 3rd MacBook Pro. This was when they refreshed the MacBook Pro's with Haswell. My 2010 model held up well - and it was still powerful. I would have kept it but decided to sell it. The display on the Retina screen for my new Mac blew me away..and when side by side with my older Mac, there's no comparison.

As I've been trying to decide on a media center setup (to record and watch live TV), I tried out a couple of Windows PC with 8.1 (they are 2-in-1, "laplet"). I really don't like the new version of Windows and it would randomly run slow or freeze. But I decided on a Mac Mini (installed Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp because I need Windows Media Center to record & watch live TV), but kept one small partition for Mac OS X).

I still can't believe I spent $2800 on this laptop (paid an extra $450 to upgrade from 512GB flash to 1TB)! But it's super fast and can handle hard core processing without issues, such as Photoshop and Handbrake. My read / write speeds are insane... close to 1,000MB/s.

I've been converted into the Apple eco-system.. I have a Time Capsule (this is my second one), which makes it a breeze for backups, though I will make a clone copy of my computer about every 2 weeks.

Have you tried looking at the education store? (You don't need to be a student). The discount varies from $100 to $200 off). Best Buy has been running promotions - but they carry limited models compared to the Apple store. If you still have an .edu email, you can get college discount (occasionally), e.g. extra $100 Mac - plus use the USPS moving coupon (YYMV on stacking).

The other reason I like Apple is their support. I'm fortunate that there are 5+ Apple stores within a 15 mile radius.

The MacBook Pro is rumored for a total refresh later this year, early next year (they've delayed it because of upstream delays from Intel on the Broadwell). Check out macrumors.com for buyer's guide if you haven't already.

I personally prefer the 15" (more real estate). You can always try out a 15" or 13" (Apple has a nice, no questions asked return policy..of course it has to be within 14 days).

Last edited:

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
TBH. I would recommend a Mid-2014 MBPr
I own one and came from a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (non-Retina)

I think what's coming with Yosemite and iOS8 will be a huge leap forward.
I used to be a Windows/PC "master race" kind of guy. But when you combine having a iPhone and a MacBook (either Air or Pro) it makes tasks so much easier.

I can write a note on my MacBook Pro and it syncs on my iPhone. The same goes with Mail, Calendar, and iMessages. Now with Yosemite you can answer all texts (not just iMessages) with your Macbook Pro.

Now that can lead to a good and a bad.

Good: You can leave your phone somewhere and still answer texts.
Bad: You're always on your laptop.

I love the screen on the MacBook Pro Retina. It's such an improvement over the non-Retina MacBook Pro that I owned. As for price... It's really not that bad if you can catch a Student Coupon + deal + CashBack portal + 2% credit card like AMEX Fidelity.

I'll say again, I was never an Apple lover... but I really like that things just work. The build quality is super amazing too. Nothing from the Windows side.

Now to talk about Windows 8.1 and Linux. I love hate Windows 8. While I don't like the tile interface and prefer using an app like Start8 to give me my desktop back. There are vast improvements in speed over Windows 7.

Linux. I love love love love Linux.
I have two other laptops one running Linux Mint (an old 2002 Dell Inspiron) and another running Lbuntu (old 2005-2006 Inspiron)

The only Windows laptop I've been eye balling to replace a MacBook Pro Retina is the Lenovo ThinkPad T440s

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great input folks, thank you all!

I currently do have a decent 8.1 machine - it is a Lenovo U310 with an i5 processor (something of a Mac rip off) so it isn't about buying a new Laptop, it is just that the 8.1 is so frustrating, I do a lot of zipping between windows and the notion of the front 'tile' screen being needed to launch new applications is really annoying.

To sum up what I see:

• Windows users = Macs are too expensive
  • Mac users = I love my Mac
I haven't met a person who doesn't love their Mac after buying it, though they must exist. I do know I could get much higher specs from a Windows laptop.

I do have a powerful PC (win 7) that I haven't been able to use due to moving right now, I think the best bet is for me to hold out and see what I really need once that is up and running... but I do worry that one day soon I will turn to the darkside....

Win 9 might change that, it looks like they have a start button type layout, which would be great...

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Haswell i5 + 8GB RAM is decent for me.

it is just that the 8.1 is so frustrating, I do a lot of zipping between windows and the notion of the front 'tile' screen being needed to launch new applications is really annoying.
Have you looked into ClassicShell or Start8? I used it on my 15" HP with Windows 8. Never had to deal with the tiles again lol.

All PC users (especially if you're into building them like I am) hate Mac. We know the price is outrageous for what you get... but when things just work (like my iPhone) I can justify it.

Though.... I have been looking at that T440s quite a bit. (Kind of want to get back to Windows/Linux)

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Coming in late here, but I've been using Linux daily since I had to spend an 80 hour week combing through a bunch of laptops and 12 backup tapes to reconstruct the customer contact management system a customer at a time because of bad device driver on a server disk controller. In that time, Windows has come a long way in reliability, although it still is nowhere in the ballpark of the better Linux distros.

The downside of Linux is software. If you have data captive to a Windows software title, like say Quickbooks or something, you will have some work to do figuring out if it will run in Wine, or you need Windows running in VirtualBox to use it. The real pain in the ass in this regard is Flash. Adobe stopped supporting Flash/Shockwave on Linux a couple years ago, and as the OS has moved on, we've pretty much run out of workarounds to keep the last version they released going. So the only way to access Amazon Prime content on Linux is to use Firefox with the pipelight plugin which runs the Windows flash under Wine.

If you have a high spec laptop, Ubuntu is fine. I run it on 2 laptops. One is a 2nd-gen Core i5 with 8GB RAM, it does fine. The other is a 6 year old Core 2 laptop with a 32 bit chipset and 3.25GB RAM available to the system (has an awesome 1600x1280 pixel screen), and the current version of Ubuntu is unusable on it (Canonical denies that it's slow however). In my copious free time, I plan to switch it over to Linux Mint. One of my next projects will be a desktop build with an overclocked Core i7, watercooling, and a mini-ITX mobo ... I need some number crunching power for restoring old tango recordings and doing statistical analysis for rule based investment systems.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Haswell i5 + 8GB RAM is decent for me.

Have you looked into ClassicShell or Start8? I used it on my 15" HP with Windows 8. Never had to deal with the tiles again lol.

All PC users (especially if you're into building them like I am) hate Mac. We know the price is outrageous for what you get... but when things just work (like my iPhone) I can justify it.

Though.... I have been looking at that T440s quite a bit. (Kind of want to get back to Windows/Linux)
I had classic shell and it was a life saver, I think it got lost in the bump from 8 to 8.1, will have to look into it again.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
Another way to save some $$ is to buy your mac from an apple authorized reseller that doesn't have a physical presence in your state. That or travel to a state with no sales tax. You can still take your machine in to any apple store for warranty issues. There are plenty of authorized resellers on Amazon that won't charge you sales tax.

For all the mac owners out there, did you buy apple care? I never buy extended warranties, but I am tempted to make an exception considering how unrepairable MBPs are.

smittytabb

Staff member
Another way to save some $$ is to buy your mac from an apple authorized reseller that doesn't have a physical presence in your state. That or travel to a state with no sales tax. You can still take your machine in to any apple store for warranty issues. There are plenty of authorized resellers on Amazon that won't charge you sales tax.

For all the mac owners out there, did you buy apple care? I never buy extended warranties, but I am tempted to make an exception considering how unrepairable MBPs are.
I never buy extended warranties either and have no idea what possessed me to get AppleCare. But I did and I had a freak accident with my MacBook Air and cracked the screen completely. When I took it to repair/replace, it cost me ZERO. And yes @Matt I fall into the totally love my Mac category and I was a major holdout for years. Got one of the first PCs and always had a Dell something. I will never go back.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If price is an issue, and you were thinking of getting the 13" pro, you might want to get it sooner than later. Apple is supposedly phasing out the non-retina models. "Apple stopped producing the 15-inch MacBook Pro in 2013 and will end production of its 13-inch model in 2014." http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/05/rumor-apple-to-give-non-retina-legacy-macbook-pro-the-ax-this-year

While I'm sure retina is great, I opted for the basic 13". I wanted to get a new Mac before they turn their laptops into glorified phones, with minimal hard drive space. It's also it's the only Mac left with a built-in optical disc drive - if that's important to you.
I should clarify - value is an issue. I can technically afford the mac, it's just that the price is so much higher than a like for like windows model.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
In that time, Windows has come a long way in reliability, although it still is nowhere in the ballpark of the better Linux distros.

The downside of Linux is software.

If you have a high spec laptop, Ubuntu is fine.
Some of the things you mentioned.

1. Depends on your definition of "better Linux distro"
  2. Software alternatives are always a downside of Linux. Also, like above. Reliability of said software.
  3. Specs really don't matter. When you have a 1.5Ghz Celeron running Linux Mint LXDE (older version, not the bloated one it's become) just fine... :) No need for specs.
I had classic shell and it was a life saver, I think it got lost in the bump from 8 to 8.1, will have to look into it again.
Pfft. How could you deal with the tiles after the bump? :p download now!!

I did not buy Apple Care. I still have some time until it expires.
After my amazing experience with Apple replacing my battery on my iPhone with no charge under warranty... I'd have to say it's probably worth it.

If price is an issue, and you were thinking of getting the 13" pro, you might want to get it sooner than later. Apple is supposedly phasing out the non-retina models. "Apple stopped producing the 15-inch MacBook Pro in 2013 and will end production of its 13-inch model in 2014." http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/05/rumor-apple-to-give-non-retina-legacy-macbook-pro-the-ax-this-year

While I'm sure retina is great, I opted for the basic 13". I wanted to get a new Mac before they turn their laptops into glorified phones, with minimal hard drive space. It's also it's the only Mac left with a built-in optical disc drive - if that's important to you.
As I mentioned earlier. I owned the non-Retina MBP. I loved it.
Had an SSD in the HDD slot and bought a HDD bay for the SuperDrive slot. Gotta love expandability.

Not to mention... They gave the axe to user replaceable RAM. So... Better buy it with the RAM you need... or you're stuck. (Also... Remember. The Mid-2012 MBP (non-Retina) is Sandy Bridge tech)

I should clarify - value is an issue. I can technically afford the mac, it's just that the price is so much higher than a like for like windows model.
Much higher. But head to BestBuy. Play with some of the laptops... You'll find the build quality is sub-par.
I know you mentioned you have a U310, that's an exception lol... IIRC they don't even make it anymore.

Last edited:
R

RamboAroundTheWorld

BTW - if you are considering going with a new Mac laptop, I suggest waiting until after their next shindig in October. They will be releasing Yosemite and I suspect a new 12" macbook air retina. Possibly some more Macbook Pro refreshes as well.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
BTW - if you are considering going with a new Mac laptop, I suggest waiting until after their next shindig in October. They will be releasing Yosemite and I suspect a new 12" macbook air retina. Possibly some more Macbook Pro refreshes as well.
wut.

They just did an update. Mid-2014 for their MacBook Pro Retinas.
(Here is my system information)

MarkD

Level 2 Member
As someone who is in the middle of repairing my son's brand new Windows 8 laptop which is stuck in a reboot loop, I say GET THAT MAC!!!

I hate %&!#$ Windows right now! (What's even sadder is that I work for the manufacturer of the laptop).

True story: Our chairman of the board was photographed using a MacBook Air in a major magazine story about our PC company. Our company is a major PC hardware vendor. Yes, he was photographed using a competitor's product. Needless to say he is not COTB any more.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

wut.

(Here is my system information)

Right, the Retinas. But there's still the Air's and the regular MBP. Not to mention the iMac's.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
As someone who is in the middle of repairing my son's brand new Windows 8 laptop which is stuck in a reboot loop, I say GET THAT MAC!!!

I hate %&!#$ Windows right now! (What's even sadder is that I work for the manufacturer of the laptop).

True story: Our chairman of the board was photographed using a MacBook Air in a major magazine story about our PC company. Our company is a major PC hardware vendor. Yes, he was photographed using a competitor's product. Needless to say he is not COTB any more.
Reboot loop? Eh. Reinstall Windows :p

HP? If so, my motherboard crapped out and I had to send it in. They replaced it and sent it back. When I got it back. I noticed they snapped the plastic panel right above the CD drive slot. I contacted them. Sent it back out... They "fixed it" and sent it back to me. Guess what?!?! They didn't even touch it!

I ended up tweeting HP and told them I didn't appreciate the repair. They apologized profusely and made sure they overnighted a box. Repaired it. Sent it back overnight. This time they got it right.

I guess HP's social media team let their C-Level Executive Office know and I forgot the guys name... But he contacted me personally and personally apologized. He then said that my laptop would include an additional 3 year warranty for free and I would receive a coupon worth $75 in free accessories at the HP store.

I never liked HP.... but that was well above and beyond. :eek:

Right, the Retinas. But there's still the Air's and the regular MBP. Not to mention the iMac's.
I think they're gonna axe the MBP. They're just going to have the MBA and the MBPr.
As for iMac's they introduced the Mid-2014 21.5" iMac but other than that... The Mac Mini and the other iMac's need updating.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
wut.
It was a minor update, featuring faster versions of Intel's Haswell processors; 13-inch models now come with 8GB of RAM standard while all 15-inch models now feature 16GB of RAM. The high end 15-inch model also received a $100 price cut, going from $2599 to $2499.

July's refresh is primarily a stopgap measure until Apple can launch a more significant update to its Retina MacBook Pro line once Intel's next-generation Broadwell processors hit the market. Broadwell chips appropriate for the MacBook Pro may, however, not arrive until mid-2015.

FWIW -- though I love my Oct 2013 (Haswell) rMBP, screen quality remains an issue ("yellowish tint" and potential for image retention). In the Apple online community, the complaint thread is 635 pages, with similar threads on macrumors.com forums.

I went through 5 exchanges (some have returned / exchanged 8 to 10 laptops)...For me: 1 had a creaking noise, 4 had "yellowish" tint (the screen looked dingy, or screen appeared yellowish - some portion or the entire screen). For my current rMBP, I borrowed a friend's display color calibration tool to make the screen more white.

The most painful part was waiting for the replacement (since mine was a custom build - as I opted for 1TB storage) - which takes a week to arrive from the factory in China. However, Apple was nice..they let me keep the "defective" laptop until the replacement arrived. Plus they offered goodwill gestures (a free SuperDrive, an external hard drive and a few other goodies).

Last edited:

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I've been romantically involved with Mac haters for the last 15 years. My ex used to work for Tandem fault tolerant nonstop computers which was bought by Compaq which was bought by HP. He made a religion out of hating Apple. He was none to fond of Microsoft either.

My SO is just about as bad, former IT professional PC Microsoft all the way. he handles all the computer related stuff and my skills have gotten really rusty. We each have Lenovo laptops and Android Nexus 7 tablets and he has a Samsung galaxy s4 or s5.
I'm finally going to get a smartphone and have been eyeing an iPhone but he says it will be impossible to integrate with the laptop and Nexus 7 Android tablet.Any advice for me or suggestions for alternative phones I find the s4 too big and clunky. not trying to hijack this thread as it seems to be Apple versus PC. Thanks.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
I've been romantically involved with Mac haters for the last 15 years. My ex used to work for Tandem fault tolerant nonstop computers which was bought by Compaq which was bought by HP. He made a religion out of hating Apple. He was none to fond of Microsoft either.

My SO is just about as bad, former IT professional PC Microsoft all the way. he handles all the computer related stuff and my skills have gotten really rusty. We each have Lenovo laptops and Android Nexus 7 tablets and he has a Samsung galaxy s4 or s5.
I'm finally going to get a smartphone and have been eyeing an iPhone but he says it will be impossible to integrate with the laptop and Nexus 7 Android tablet.Any advice for me or suggestions for alternative phones I find the s4 too big and clunky. not trying to hijack this thread as it seems to be Apple versus PC. Thanks.
I think all the flagship android phones have mini versions nowadays, e.g. HTC One Mini, Galaxy S5 Mini, Xperia Mini.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I may be a contrarian but my laptop is a mac air running windows 8.1 via bootcamp.

The air is a great piece of hardware but I am SO used to windows that the mac OS gets in my way and is harder for me.

While a person starting fresher may disagree, the learning curve to overcome 30 years of Microsoft learning is pretty steep.

That said, alternating between iphone and android is pretty easy.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I may be a contrarian but my laptop is a mac air running windows 8.1 via bootcamp.

The air is a great piece of hardware but I am SO used to windows that the mac OS gets in my way and is harder for me.

While a person starting fresher may disagree, the learning curve to overcome 30 years of Microsoft learning is pretty steep.

That said, alternating between iphone and android is pretty easy.
I'm a windows guy, but I have to say I think win 8 is incredibly hard to work with. I actually find OSX is easier to learn after 7 than 8 is..

Haley

I am not a robot
Windows just confused me.
The sleep and shutdown option were in the start menu.

I've been on Apple's forever. My family owned a print shop so I learned to do graphic design way back when Apple was the only game in town. iOS 8 has me a tiny bit flustered, it was a big update.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Rumors of an upcoming Mac Mini refresh coming this month!!!

When I first got a MacBook, it took a while to get used to the OS X interface (minimize, close window / application are on the left side). Keyboard shortcuts can be easily modified (so Control + C mimics Windows). But you get the hang of it real quick. I find Apple to be user friendly.

I hate my work computer. It's a PC (HP Elitebook). It runs slow - and freezes up often. And there's always the blue screen of death! I can't count the number of times I've had to take my work laptop to my work's IT support department ... I've gone through 3 PC's within the past year.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I'm a windows guy, but I have to say I think win 8 is incredibly hard to work with. I actually find OSX is easier to learn after 7 than 8 is..
To me, win 8 is the same as win 7. I just boot to desktop mode and never see the metro screens.

I also use a desktop theme where my 8 background looks like 7.

Sooner

Level 2 Member
I bought an employee a "new" refurbished MBAir from Apple in May. She left it in her car, and it was stolen. Called my Ink card services, and filed the report. I'll get reimbursed for the computer since it was less than 90 days. I just bought a new dishwasher, and purposely used my Amex Plat card, so that the warranty would be extended for the 2nd year. If I was buying a new Mac, that's what I would consider, not the apple care $$ warranty.