Taking advantage of Cheap(ish) fares to Iceland & Others?

sriki

Level 2 Member
WowAir has some cheap fares to select European destinations (from BOS, BWI starting in March, June). Has anyone made travel plans using this or thinking about it?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I just came on to ask if anyone is jumping on these. I'm finding one ways to CPH for 149 Euros. We flew IcelandAir to Europe with a four day stop over in Iceland and loved it. I'd have to rental car it to BOS and use miles to get back to NYC..which would be perfect. And I'll avoid fuel charges! lol

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Anyone know if these can be cancelled within 24 hrs once booked? Or just take the insurance to cancel? Trying to find the rule and can't seem to find it. (probably means in smack in front on my eyes)

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
You'll love Iceland. We flew in from Paris and my daughter, ten at the time, looked out the window and said, "Where are we?!! It's dead!!" It was pretty funny since it did look pretty dead with a landscape of moss and rocks. Well...coming from Paris even NYC looks dead! We booked a penthouse apt in downtown Reykjavik and did day trips from there. So not enough time. It was actually one of the highlights of our entire trip. Although, I'm not counting the two torture museums in AMS nor the VERY extensive French Fry museum in Bruges that my other ten year old ranked as tops.

smittytabb

Staff member
Interesting, in the link here, it says cancellations are not refunded.

I booked a RT to Iceland from BOS though the positioning RT to/from BOS is a PITA.
Iceland is wonderful. Be sure to go to the Blue Lagoon. I cannot wait to go back. Not jumping on this deal but wish IcelandAir would match or at least lower their fares.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Iceland is wonderful. Be sure to go to the Blue Lagoon. I cannot wait to go back. Not jumping on this deal but wish IcelandAir would match or at least lower their fares.
I am working right now. But, I sure would like to know more abut Iceland if you have been there before. Blue lagoon is on our list along with Reykjavik, Golden circle, Jokulsarlon and maybe myvatan/akereyi. This is just an initial list but will have to look a little more. We are also planning to drive everywhere.

smittytabb

Staff member
I am working right now. But, I sure would like to know more abut Iceland if you have been there before. Blue lagoon is on our list along with Reykjavik, Golden circle, Jokulsarlon and maybe myvatan/akereyi. This is just an initial list but will have to look a little more. We are also planning to drive everywhere.
I stayed at the Hilton Reykjavik which is a little outside the downtown area, but has a lovely view. If you enjoy walking, the downtown area is an easy walk and there are nice sidewalks so it is a fun thing to do. It is also fun to walk down on the waterfront from the hotel. If you have Hilton Gold, there is a nice club lounge where they serve breakfast and a nice cocktail reception in the evening with free booze. I was visiting a friend who lived in Reykjavik and I was able to have her come to the hotel each night for the reception too. There is a Radisson Blu downtown but it is near a lot of the bars and people party hard in Reykjavik and I have heard it can get pretty noisy down there. It was super quiet at the Hilton. It depends on what kind of experience you want to have.

I used Reykjavik as a base to tour some of the other parts of the country on day trips. I didn't plan much ahead and there was a great tour office in the Hilton. Several companies have great day trips and they pick you up from the hotel, so I saw no reason to get a car. I went right after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption had died down in 2010, and I took a tour in a 4x4 of the volcano. It was pretty interesting because it still had ash everywhere and you could see where the lava had gone. I also, as I said, did the Blue Lagoon, which I loved, and the Golden Circle tour, and a few other things. There are public pools everywhere and it is a pretty big thing to do so that is fun to meet the locals. There is lots of English spoken and people are super friendly.

I want to go back to see some of the rest of the country, to see the Northern Lights, and to get back in the Blue Lagoon. It is a cool place.

Sgnyc

Level 2 Member
I've wanted to go for a while, bought tickets from WOW to Reykjavik for August. Round trip ticket BOS<->KEF was about $340, all in. They have alot of extra fees for things you might normally think of as being included (e.g. almost any luggage, reserving a seat, etc), but the same ticket in August (what I believe is a peak time to go) would probably be double that or more... There's an article about their business model in The Economist today, if you're interested...

Last edited:

Sgnyc

Level 2 Member
You'll love Iceland. We flew in from Paris and my daughter, ten at the time, looked out the window and said, "Where are we?!! It's dead!!" It was pretty funny since it did look pretty dead with a landscape of moss and rocks. Well...coming from Paris even NYC looks dead! We booked a penthouse apt in downtown Reykjavik and did day trips from there. So not enough time. It was actually one of the highlights of our entire trip. Although, I'm not counting the two torture museums in AMS nor the VERY extensive French Fry museum in Bruges that my other ten year old ranked as tops.
Interesting post - how/where did you book apt in downtown Reykjavik?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
There were two "people" we were using. One was Apartment K. They have great apartments...studios, 1-2 bedrooms etc. We ended up booking a penthouse thru Luna Hotel Apartments. (The penthouse on the website isn't the one we rented) The apartments for both K, and Luna, had very central locations and you could walk to everything. The only thing about staying central downtown is Friday/Sat night. Icelanders party and they party hard. They get going about 11-12pm and don't stop til 3 or 4. The next morning people don't move until about 10am. If you get up early and walk up the main drag you can watch the city workers in white hazmat suits literally taking a firehose and washing all last nights party down the street from the top. It's the funniest thing. It's just something to keep in mind if you like to go to bed at 11 and need total quiet. We booked directly thru Luna. They were very easy to deal with and wouldn't hesitate to book with them again.

Last edited:

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
If you have trouble sleeping in the present of light, bring an eyemask.
Seriously, in July/Aug you'd go out of a bar at midnight and it's twilight time.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I am leaving to Iceland next Friday. We will be doing a 7 day road trip along the southern and eastern coast of Iceland. I am excited yet jaded due to work. Things will change once I step off the flight in KEF. Here's a map of my plan if anyone is interested & as always any suggestions are welcome.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/iceland-road-trip-2015/7207718

I might do a trip report on it while I'm at it.
We will be there for 8 days in early September. Our itinerary looks a lot like yours. We are staying at Radisson Blu Saga for 2 sets of 2-night stays (love Club Carlson's second-night-free policy!). Our other nights are low-cost but charming Airbnb guesthouses on the south coast and on the Snaesfellnes Peninsula.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
We will be there for 8 days in early September. Our itinerary looks a lot like yours. We are staying at Radisson Blu Saga for 2 sets of 2-night stays (love Club Carlson's second-night-free policy!). Our other nights are low-cost but charming Airbnb guesthouses on the south coast and on the Snaesfellnes Peninsula.
Us, too! Our first nights are in Vik and then we move to the Saga. It's our second trip to Iceland and just as excited for the second time. If you're at the Saga the same days as we are...we should meet in the bar for a drink!

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Us, too! Our first nights are in Vik and then we move to the Saga. It's our second trip to Iceland and just as excited for the second time. If you're at the Saga the same days as we are...we should meet in the bar for a drink!
What are your Reykjavik dates?