Staples 20% off everything in your bag Columbus Sale.

spirith20

Level 2 Member
I received an email with an in-store coupon which gives you 20% off everything that will fit in your bag minus electronics. There is no mention of GCs in the T&C; however, it does mention kiosk items are excluded. Has anyone tried to use this coupon towards GCs?

mario

Level 2 Member
I received an email with an in-store coupon which gives you 20% off everything that will fit in your bag minus electronics. There is no mention of GCs in the T&C; however, it does mention kiosk items are excluded. Has anyone tried to use this coupon towards GCs?
No. Haven't tried. But I like the way you think. Let us know if it works. Thanks.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I am on my way to Staples and also got that email. Will try and then report back, but I'd be amazed if they allowed it. I've never been able to use any of their coupons on GCs.

BTW if you do go to Staples, bring along your old, working smart phones, tablets/laptops and flip phones. Charge them so they start up to get some easy e-cash. Available through the end of October. I believe it is $50 for smartphones, $30 for tablets/laptops and $10 for "feature phones" meaning they must do something besides make and receive calls.

Update:
OK, my Staples was out of bags but gave 20% on everything including clearance items, but they excluded my MCGCs, which, BTW, get you a $20 Staples GC as a rebate if you spend $300.

I bought $1600 in MCGCs in four separate transactions. No one held me to the one per household T&C which appears in the ad.

They also took four VERY old phones. A manager made the mistake of reading aloud "no phone will get under $10" so when they checked their computer list, determining that the phones were worth zero, I said "No, you specifically said 'no phone is worth less than $10." More waiting and checking, which gave me ample time to browse the Hello Kitty clearance items for my great-nieces.

Finally came back and said that it was $10 towards the purchase of a phone. But I was armed with a FatWallet posting that warned me not to be "bullied" into buying a phone; it could be used on anything in the store. In the end the manager gave me two $20 coupons, each good on a purchase of at least $20.

As per usual for super polite PDX, no raised voices were necessary and the customer was always right. So I turned in 4 worthless phones from 8-10 years ago and spent $1660.80, and came away with:

8304 URs
$40 in coupons for Staples
$80 in Staples GCs
$1600 in MCGCs
and a bunch of Hello Kitty gifts for lucky little girls!

Last edited:

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
Elaine, are you required to provide your Staples Rewards number (phone number) in order to obtain the $20 GC with your MCGC purchase? Or can you just make the purchase anonymously?

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
Regarding the $20.00 rebate for purchasing $300.00 MC -

You can purchase more than one lot at the register - I did 2 - $200.00 mcgcs 5 times

When you fill out the rebate (i did mine online) you have to send to different name/address/email

I used the same email on 2 and the second got rejected for Household limit exceeded

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
Regarding the $20.00 rebate for purchasing $300.00 MC -

You can purchase more than one lot at the register - I did 2 - $200.00 mcgcs 5 times

When you fill out the rebate (i did mine online) you have to send to different name/address/email

I used the same email on 2 and the second got rejected for Household limit exceeded
Thanks for that data point, Pointsaholic.

Haley

I am not a robot
Edited out repeat on gift card info.

No Staples near enough to me.

There is a $50 off $200 with Visa Check Out for online orders and I can't find anything to buy.

Also October Rewards should be ready to use, they expire fast now so you need to keep on it.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Elaine, are you required to provide your Staples Rewards number (phone number) in order to obtain the $20 GC with your MCGC purchase? Or can you just make the purchase anonymously?
I ended up with 4 receipts. I filed all online, using different names and phone numbers (cell, office, home, etc.). I apparently did not vary the addresses enough. The one sent to my daughter's address was fine, as were the first two to my address. But the last was rejected for reaching household limit.

For example "1234 NE Smith DR" and "1234 Northeast Smith Drive" went through, but "1234-A NE Smith Dr" did not.

Does anyone have experience with resubmitting a rejected receipt? I am reluctant to, at least until I get the 3 Staples GCs by mail. No need to draw any attention to my address at this point.

I've heard of folks who use "Apt C" and probably I should have tried that instead of 1234-A. Or my husband's office but I was afraid it might go astray in his cyclone of papers. He may use computers but you'd never know it if you saw his paper-filled office....

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
I ended up with 4 receipts. I filed all online, using different names and phone numbers (cell, office, home, etc.). I apparently did not vary the addresses enough. The one sent to my daughter's address was fine, as were the first two to my address. But the last was rejected for reaching household limit.

For example "1234 NE Smith DR" and "1234 Northeast Smith Drive" went through, but "1234-A NE Smith Dr" did not.

Does anyone have experience with resubmitting a rejected receipt? I am reluctant to, at least until I get the 3 Staples GCs by mail. No need to draw any attention to my address at this point.

I've heard of folks who use "Apt C" and probably I should have tried that instead of 1234-A. Or my husband's office but I was afraid it might go astray in his cyclone of papers. He may use computers but you'd never know it if you saw his paper-filled office....
I like the "Apt C" idea. Perhaps I will be the guinea pig on this. Will let you know.