SQ Kris Flyer

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
SingAir has long been our airline of choice as we lived in SE Asia for a couple of years and return once or twice a year.

We used to love SQ's non-stop service from EWR-SIN and still don't mind the JFK-FRA-SIN route though we kind of need Business class on such a long trip. We did once upgrade to Suites which was luxurious but not worth the price for sure or even the miles.

We have been Kris Flyer members for a long time and put all of our Star Alliance miles to that program.

Having come recently to the points/miles game, I am now seeing that SingAir is known for high prices and no upgrades. We can pretty much afford it but I still wonder if there might be a good alternative.

This year I used some Avianca Life Miles for First Class ANA JFK-NAR-JFK but I would prefer a different gateway than Japan. Our usual destination is Hanoi so transiting a night or two on either end in Singapore is easy and we have a good relationship with one of the top hotels but we have used CX out of HKG.

Any suggestions on what to do? I can save AX and Chase rewards to throw into a program right before booking but there will always be a limit on how many points we can get. I can't really see spending more than $50-75K in any given year.

If we change allegiance to other than Star Alliance that might change any European travel. We generally use LH now even to France since we are not thrilled with the alternatives though I hear La Compagnie might be good.

I would welcome any ideas, bearing in mind we prefer comfort and won't fly to France or Germany by way of Ukraine or Russia.

sriki

Level 2 Member
SQ is starting a new SFO-SIN non stop service (no suite/first class on this). Would that work for you (probably need a connecting to wherever your final destination is)?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
SQ is starting a new SFO-SIN non stop service (no suite/first class on this). Would that work for you (probably need a connecting to wherever your final destination is)?
?????? You must not have understood me! I pretty much use SQ now to Asia. I was looking for possibly a better alternative since they are the most expensive, only give award flights to Kris flyer so no use buying cheap LifeMiles etc and no matter if you are Gold Star Alliance they never give free upgrades which I hear other airlines do if you have status.

Also I leave on the East Coast so SFO is useless to me as I'd have to get there and also clear customs then recheck my bags. thanks anyway.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
I would welcome any ideas, bearing in mind we prefer comfort
In my view, when it comes to comfort and service, SQ is on a level above the rest. If you're buying revenue tickets with a 3X airfare card like Amex PRG, it could help justify the SQ price. Aside from that, what about Korean?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
In my view, when it comes to comfort and service, SQ is on a level above the rest. If you're buying revenue tickets with a 3X airfare card like Amex PRG, it could help justify the SQ price. Aside from that, what about Korean?
What is Amex PRG? I only get 2x points on Chase Sapphire Preferred