SPG Devaluation post merger thoughts

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Marriott is acquiring SPG in a 12.2B deal. Since Marriott have a totally crap award program (with perhaps one exception) that’s really not great news for the travel ‘community’.

My biggest worry from this transaction is that my SPG points will become Marriott points. While I don’t have too many, 52K for me, 12K for the Mrs, I don’t want them to become Marriott points. Right now, I could transfer 20K SPG to 25K AA, so that means I have about 79K potential AA points sitting there today, vs 1 night in the Marriott methadone drop in center in Boise, Idaho should the points merge.

What to do?

When a company acquires another, they typically merge the award programs. As such, I expect if I do nothing, one day I’ll get an alert saying that I am now the proud owner of a bunch of Marriott points. The question though, is what to do about that.

Do you take control of the situation, or let the situation take control of you?

Interestingly, the latter seems like the incorrect, inferior election. However, if we draw a correlation with the stock market, the key is not to try to control every outcome, but rather have sufficient diversification in place to weather the storm. You can’t control the myriad of random events that are in place, but you can control their impact on your situation.

In other words, how do you best position yourself (at all times) to be protected from swings in the market of stocks or points?

In the SPG example, I feel confident that the points will merge and devalue. However, I don’t know when, or with how much notice. I is likely to be up to a year to happen. If we transfer out of SPG in a knee jerk manner, what does that do?

Case 1 – you screw it up

If your need for AA miles isn’t immediate, you could be transferring out of the frying pan and into the fire. For example, you might now be sitting on too many AA miles, and they then announce a devaluation. Or, in some weird twist of fate, SPG continues to offer transfer bonus ‘bonuses’ to drain accounts (unlikely, but you never know…)

Case 2 – you get it right

You transfer out, and the next day everyone else in the world gets pushed from SPG to Marriott, with or without due warning. You go on to book your First Class ticket to somewhere exciting, and cash in your Marriott tier 3-5 cert for 7 nights at Al Maha #boom

What to do?

Meditate. Visualize every possible outcome and find out which ones you will be happy with. You can never perfectly ‘time the market’ to get the best possible value, but you can position yourself to be protected from the biggest falls by thinking calmly, and making actions that work in your favor.

One thing that I did do was look up if I could internally transfer SPG, and the good news is that you can (as of now..) by using this link this is good because SPG adds the airline transfer bonus of 5K only when you move 20K, so in my case, my 50Kish and 10Kish become 60K ish, and gain 3x5K transfer bonuses should I elect to go that route.

Personally I’m thinking to transfer to AA, and hoping that my Marriott cert is usable at SPG when I extend it to top tier early next year.. remember, you’ve gotta visualize it being possible in order to achieve it!

PS – watch out for anyone giving speculative advice about this and recommending you get another SPG card – chances are they get paid commission for that advice and don’t give a rats backside if you get stuck with Marriott points or not.

The post SPG Market timing vs Diversification appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
My plan, in a few days to let things settle a bit, is to transfer to AS. Their points are usable where others aren't and can only be MS via SPG or Alaska card.

The merger is suppose to close in mid 2016. I don't think there are going to be any changes before the end of the year. I am hoping that they give us some type of heads up before they convert points. I think I might just book some properties ahead of time before the program gets destroyed.

My1stMile

Level 2 Member
Most of the speculation (rightfully) has been about the hotel aspects of the combination, but I wonder what will happen with the airline tie ins. With SPG, you get the Crossover points and some light benefits between SPG/Delta. For Marriott you can get some points and transfer deals, but also complimentary United silver with Marriott Platinum status.

The other tie-in that will be interesting to find out about is the SPG/Caesar's deal.

Debrae0322

Level 2 Member
Luckily I'm new to the game and only have a few orphaned SPG points from a hotel stay as of now. I know everyone loves SPG, but I went a different way. I'm actually amassing UR & Marriott to get two Hotel + Air packages and leverage the SW Companion Pass for my husband and myself for two years, allowing us to each fly a kiddo for free.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
So what does Amex do? If I'm Amex, I would follow Starwood's exit by replicating the current SPG program with all the existing airlines, plus new hotel amd other transfer partners. Toss in a cash redepmtion offer and it would beat Citi TYPs, and in my view, Chase UR too. Look at all those airline partners, including AA and DL.

Here's a reason that may not work: Most of those airlines have agreements for branded cards with other banks. Citi would love to get Amex away from AA, Barlcays would love to get Amex away from LH, etc. Amex' contracts with those airlines may have left them little room to move the SPG business to another program, even if similar.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Well, that answered my question about dh getting the SPG next round to comingle points, since I already have one. Only have 33k on it and 9k will be topping off AA flights. Alaska card might be the best way for us too.

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
I'm really thinking AS is the way to go.

I'm also making lots of speculative reservations at good SPG properties. If anyone has recommendations, I'm all ears. I've made some Punta Mitas and some Deer Valleys.

What's a good SPG in the Caribbean? Are there any? Not really interested in Puerto Rico.

ialto

Level 2 Member
over 200K SPG here!! Too many points, not enough chance to burn.. grr..

i think nothing should happen before the transaction closes, so we should have 6+ months.

ialto

Jus

Level 2 Member
I'm going to hope and pray a lot that maybe Marriott will keep them running separately as Starwood and maybe things will remain as usual and we don't have to sweat this too much. Is that asking for a lot you think?

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
My plan, in a few days to let things settle a bit, is to transfer to AS. Their points are usable where others aren't and can only be MS via SPG or Alaska card.
Dinners too *IF* they ever open applications again. I miss my 3x AS miles, sigh... That said, AS is where I'll be transferring my SPG points to though I suspect AS like AA is ripe for a devaluation in the next year or so.

Bigmahalo

so disappointed. on track to achieve a lifetime status this year. arghhh. will still go for it but highly doubt Marriott will take care of it's elites the way I've been treated by SPG hotels. if you've got a ton of points to burn, two words, Bora Bora.....

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
I'm going to hope and pray a lot that maybe Marriott will keep them running separately as Starwood and maybe things will remain as usual and we don't have to sweat this too much. Is that asking for a lot you think?
I must assume that projected synergies are a big reason the deal is happening.

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
so disappointed. on track to achieve a lifetime status this year. arghhh. will still go for it but highly doubt Marriott will take care of it's elites the way I've been treated by SPG hotels. if you've got a ton of points to burn, two words, Bora Bora.....
Considering that. Says I have to call. How many points per night? Great place?

nvpt

Level 2 Member
F***! Just told my wife last week I've decided to focus on SPG to get lifetime status, put all of my stays in SPG recently, including the 7 just finished in Korea.
Got 200k points, but not too worried about it since it will be converted somehow. Might even have the wife apply for the cards next year, since it will be the last chance.

cheryld

Level 2 Member
Also interested in recommendations for best redemption.

ChiliPalmer - I thought I had heard St. John was a good redemption for the Caribbean. No personal experience though.

Last edited:

SOC 787

Flight Club
is there any chance the DoJ will step in and wont let the merger happen? like it did with ATT & TMo and I think there was another one recently as well that they didnt allow. maybe I'm dreaming.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
is there any chance the DoJ will step in and wont let the merger happen? like it did with ATT & TMo and I think there was another one recently as well that they didnt allow. maybe I'm dreaming.
Not a lawyer but it seems unlikely. I mean you still have Hilton, IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice, Wyndham and Hyatt at least out there so there still seems a lot of competition (in theory at least). Also many hotels are franchisees who set their own prices, etc. I really doubt DoJ will intervene as much as I personally would love it.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If you have mountains of pts and want to roll so high for once as to make Bora Bora OWB look like child play, there's this: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/08/my-favorite-starpoints-redemption-ever/

Back to earth, I really liked Westin Sydney. 12k/night in the best part of the absolutely beautiful city and even the basic room is massive with a massive bathroom and a separate storage/coat room. Possibly the best basic room I've had. Paid rate was $700/night during my stay (NYE). One of my favorite redemptions ever.

Sweet Willie

What's a good SPG in the Caribbean? Are there any? Not really interested in Puerto Rico.
St Regis in PR is fantastic, why so down on PR? If you've only spent time in San Juan I can understand how you are not a PR fan as elsewhere on the island is where the magic of PR is. San Juan is meh.

If looking for non-PR Caribbean, look at Cayman, St Maartin.
...I've decided to focus on SPG to get lifetime status...
My concern: I'm assuming that my total nights at SPG & total nights at Marriott will count towards Marriott lifetime status, at least I expect this to happen.
-

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Should edit the post to add:

PS – watch out for anyone giving speculative advice about this and recommending you get another SPG card or buy points– chances are they get paid commission for that advice and don’t give a rats backside if you get stuck with Marriott points or not.

nvpt

Level 2 Member
Haha, I see that you guys are suspicious, and I do agree with you to some extent if the advice is provided on blogs. However, there are nice guys out there in forums, who I could not find any financial motives for advises. From a churner point of view, IF you do not have any other card to apply, there is no reason not to apply for the SPG cards before the merger is finalized, with them not being available in the future.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Case 1 – you screw it up

If your need for AA miles isn’t immediate, you could be transferring out of the frying pan and into the fire. For example, you might now be sitting on too many AA miles, and they then announce a devaluation. Or, in some weird twist of fate, SPG continues to offer transfer bonus ‘bonuses’ to drain accounts (unlikely, but you never know…)
Oh the timing...

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I just remember watching 'moving' when a child and that standing out..
Oh wow, haven't heard of that movie in forever.
Most of us in Idaho don't have problems with our rep or random mentions, we just wish people would pronounce it Boi-see instead of Boi-zee. :)

smittytabb

Staff member
Well unlike everyone else, I am close to Lifetime Status with Marriott. Been Marriott Platinum for a few years and at one point had a lot of Starwood stays when there was a hotel near where my daughters went to college. I am thinking this may be a good thing. I have some SPG points I may transfer to either AS or AA and a mountain of Marriott points I was saving for a airline/hotel award. Wish I knew which way this would go, but I gotta say, Marriott has been very good to me over the years with upgrades and I am not upset this happened at all.