SPG 35K

HTaufReisen

Level 2 Member
SPG CC is highly rated by the CC bloggers/pushers - that's a loud warning ring LOL
Like this Lucky one: The SPG Business Amex's Killer Perk - http://bit.ly/1UKLoSf
Or: This is an incredible opportunity to snag a very rewarding card with the most valuable sign-up bonus in recent memory. Read more or better not: http://thepointsguydotcom/2016/03/increased-sign-up-bonus-spg-amex-cards/#ixzz42B74328s .What else can one expect from the foremost pushers?
View from the Wing: The Value Proposition of the Starwood Cards
"...The Starwood Amex remains my go-to for spend that isn’t bonused elsewhere, because the bonus for transferring points to miles (in 20,000 mile increments) means that I’m effectively earning 1.25 miles per dollar on all of my spend..." How about the upcoming CH Freedom UNLIMITED for 1.50 miles/$ ???
Anyhow, Amex has introduced once-a-lifetime bonuses - so I can't get it just for the first year bonus.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
SPG CC is highly rated by the CC bloggers/pushers - that's a loud warning ring LOL
I used to think it was overplayed, too. But once I got one, and then a biz, and my wife got one, it became very obvious as to the program's value. Not only can the points get you some wicked hotels, but the transfer capabilities are great for topping off tons of FF accounts. We've done this, too. Very handy; enough to try to take advantage of this offer. With the new policy for even business cards, it will be our last chance.

Bury

Level 2 Member
I'm confused. Are you posting that it's a bad deal because TPG is pushing it and you already have the card? Sure I guess.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Like this Lucky one: The SPG Business Amex's Killer Perk - http://bit.ly/1UKLoSf
Or: This is an incredible opportunity to snag a very rewarding card with the most valuable sign-up bonus in recent memory. Read more or better not: http://thepointsguydotcom/2016/03/increased-sign-up-bonus-spg-amex-cards/#ixzz42B74328s .What else can one expect from the foremost pushers?
View from the Wing: The Value Proposition of the Starwood Cards
"...The Starwood Amex remains my go-to for spend that isn’t bonused elsewhere, because the bonus for transferring points to miles (in 20,000 mile increments) means that I’m effectively earning 1.25 miles per dollar on all of my spend..." How about the upcoming CH Freedom UNLIMITED for 1.50 miles/$ ???
Anyhow, Amex has introduced once-a-lifetime bonuses - so I can't get it just for the first year bonus.
I'll never get posts like this. All of those articles are on business websites (errr, blogs?) that make revenue from affiliate links. Most if not all folks in Level 2 understand this. You can't sell a car by talking about the shitty engine, can you?

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
In late February, I applied for and was approved for the 25k SPG points with a $5k spend in 3 months. The new offer is 35,000 points with a $3k spend, so there was more work to do.

I called with a friendly tone, noting my disappointment. The CSR offered a 6K point courtesy bump right now. I countered by offering the full $5k spend if they would go to 35k points. She said she was at her limit so I asked for a surpervisor, who apporoved my offer.

Note: This does not mean I got the new offer. The supervisor said he would note his calendar and give me the extra 10k when he looks at my account in May. I did one of these calendar arrangements with Amex a few years ago on a Delta card and I had to pull teeth to get the extras But I did get them as I will here.

Also note-if you haven't been dogging the SPG offers, the new one excludes you if you have had the SPG card before, while the old one did not.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I checked the list a couple of times. It's somewhat confusing, because the list shows cards of mine where she's an AU all mixed in, but I counted 4: Everyday Preferred, Blue Cash Preferred, Hilton HHonors and SPG personal.

I'll see if I can't get her to call tomorrow. She has an easy story if asked at all.
It took a couple of days, but I did get my wife to call in on Monday. I had provided a basic "script" ... more like a state of mind to get herself into. Of course, I was right there anyway to assist. We talked to "New Accounts" who listened to the whole story, then transferred us to Customer Service to close an existing card ... I chose the Hilton card somewhat reluctantly. If I would have thought a bit harder, I would have picked her personal SPG. The CSR was always agreeable, but it took way too much talking to get this closed. They did then transfer us back to New Accounts where her app was submitted for consideration.

In canceling the Hilton fee-free card, the CSR did mention a $25 statement credit if we would keep it. We passed, but in case anyone wants to try for this ...

Also, the last rep mentioned that submitting this would cause a hard pull. Which meant to me that the previous online app was spared the hard pull as @VRHunter had suggested. The process where they denied her because of existing card count was just a bit different than expected.

Anyway, checking the online status today, she was approved! So we're off to the races with this one.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
In late February, I applied for and was approved for the 25k SPG points with a $5k spend in 3 months. The new offer is 35,000 points with a $3k spend, so there was more work to do.
Is it 3k over 3 months? I swear we signed up with the full $5k requirement, but I won't be sure until I get home to check the screen print. I'd love to only have to do 3k, but I've been preparing for the higher amount.

TravelDean

Say NO to road trips
I called Amex today and asked nicely if they could do a courtesy adjustment of 10K points for my account that I applied for last October (6 months).
They reviewed my account with me on hold a few minutes and she came back and said that there as nothing she could offer me.
I then asked nicely if she could just do an adjustment to my points account of 10K.
She said she couldn't so I asked if there was anyone she could escalate it to that might be able to. She said sure "I'll get my supervisor"
He came on the line and I explained what I had asked prior and he said "sure I can do that for you."
Points should post within a week.
Sweet!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Is it 3k over 3 months? I swear we signed up with the full $5k requirement, but I won't be sure until I get home to check the screen print. I'd love to only have to do 3k, but I've been preparing for the higher amount.
Ah, we went for the Biz card which is $5k (per my saved screen print). I think the personal card had the lower limit.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
The offer I applied for required a $5k spend. I have seen new offers with a $3k spend. I am good with $5k, so my offer of doing the $5k to get the higher 35,000 points gave up nothing. In fact, we MS the SPG cards when nothing better is on the table to get the 1.25 transfer.

I can't say whether someone could work down to the 35k offer with only $3 k spend since I didn't try. I am guessing with the right rep it would be yes. However, both the CSR and supervisor went gaga since I have been an Amex cardholder for likely longer than they have been alive. Age before beauty.

Risk

Level 2 Member
I got an SPG card in January for 25k points and have been loading it with Serve until it was shut down on Friday. I am thinking of contacting SPG and asking them to match the 35k bonus.
Update: I called Amex SPG and asked to increase my bonus to 35k. The CSR asked if I've received a targeted offer. I said 'no.' She then offered me a one-time bonus of 3k. I asked for 5k, but she said that 3k is the maximum she could give me. I thanked her. The 3k bonus is now on my SPG account, even though I have not yet completed my Amex SPG spending.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I went through the private browser to "offers for you".

Started at personal, decided I'd rather have the business name on it, and got instant approval. Credit line? Who knows. But I'm fine with that, at the moment.

No matter what it starts at, AM, in my experience, bumps it up quickly if you demonstrate reliability.

twentyseventy

Level 2 Member
Got both this SPG card and Amex PRG card approved on the same AA flight - looking foward to doing some spending this month