Southwest Sale is Retroactive

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I had a surprisingly great experience yesterday with Southwest.

I had two RT bookings with SW for trips over the next two months. The prices I booked were pretty good, but then SW came out this past weekend with a sale offering fares as low as $59 one way. I called, knowing SW does not charge change fees, but I expected a lot of hoops to jump through-find better fares, book, cancel old itins, on and on.

Au contraire. I told the CSR I was interested in the lower fares, and after about 30 seconds, she knocked $70 off the first trip and $11 off the second. Savings go onto my SW profile, usable on (only) flights I take within a year of original booking. (Note: There is a little fine print to consider here, like once the credit is applied to a new booking, the date of of the flights in the new booking becomes the credit expiration from that point on).

What a breath of fresh air-we'll lower your price and make it easy to use the difference.

Allen Chung

Level 2 Member
That's why I always book with Southwest, even when my plans aren't finalized. If a better deal comes along, re-book it. If I don't go, then cancel it and get credit.