Shopping Directly With The Retailer Sometimes Does Not Make Sense

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member

When we were in Charlotte for #FT4RL over dinner, a reader, Bret, asked me a great question. He asked me if there are any lessons that I’ve learned with the credit card points and miles if I applied it to other areas. The first thought I had was making any kind of purchase online that I must check all the portals and dig around for the best deal.

Here’s a perfect example of learning many of the available programs. There is something that I want to buy on Newegg so I checked the portals.

The Example

Newegg Rates on Cashback Monitor

There’s a lot of choices for portals for Newegg, especially under the Travel Mileage/Points. However, I don’t think the rates are worth it for my purchase because it’s $93 and I’d rather have cash for it so I looked around.

Then I found the product on eBay and know this is my route to purchase the device.

eBay Cashback Monitor Rates

So if we look at the listing on both Newegg and eBay it’s the same price and the same shipping. I purposely redacted many of the details because this is an area that I am testing and want to keep it under wraps for as long as I can until everything plays out correctly before broadcasting the message.

Item Sold By Newegg on eBay

Directly Shipped And Sold From Newegg

With eBay bucks, of at least 2% and the 1.5% back from any of the portals, I will be coming out ahead. I will likely wait until there’s a targeted eBay bucks offer for extra before buying as I am in no rush for this device.

What Does This All Mean?

Shop around and figure out what’s best for your needs.

Continue reading...