Sharing bucket lists

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
Like so many others, here and elsewhere, I have been keeping a list of experiences I would love to live through travel. It is not an exhaustive list, and parts of it are definitely (and proudly) dorky. I am sharing it here in the hopes that others will share theirs, however wonderful, weird, mundane or otherwise, in the hope that I (we?) can find additional inspiration with which to extend our own lists... .

Here is what I is in mine, some of which is on deck for the next twelve months :)

• Salar de Uyuni (Bolivia)
  • Japan
  • China
  • Singapore
  • Bhutan
  • Palau / Koror
  • South Africa
  • Puffins in Maine
  • Cartagena de Indias
  • Torres del Paine
  • Borneo
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Train ride across Canada, and Canadian Rockies
  • Churchill, Canada (Polar Bears)
  • Chimborazo, Ecuador (Farthest point from the Earth's centre)
  • Dallol, Ethiopia (The world's hottest inhabited place)
  • Tanggula, China (The world's highest railway station)
  • Angel Falls, Venezuela (The world's highest waterfall)
  • Kilauea, Hawaii (The world's most active volcano)
  • Grand canyon skywalk
  • Shark-cage diving
  • Husky sled-riding
  • Fallas
  • La Tomatina
  • Sail / cruise SE Asia (say from Bali to Sydney, see those Komodo Dragons in Indonesia)
  • Hot air balloon ride over Serengeti (or similar, pref during wildebeest migration)
  • Hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia (Turkey)
  • Dragon’s Breath Zip line (Haiti) or Superman Zip Line in Puerto Rico
  • Albuquerque Balloon Festival
  • Star Trek convention (yes, yes, I know!)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've not got a real list, so I hope to see more as we are of the ilk where I shout out - hey, you wanna go "Torres del Paine" and she says "yeah!" and then we figure out what part of spain that is in.

I do want to:

• Climb Kili and Everest
  • See antarctica/those odd places around it. Probably on a fancy cruise with lots of wildlife education.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've not got a real list, so I hope to see more as we are of the ilk where I shout out - hey, you wanna go "Torres del Paine" and she says "yeah!" and then we figure out what part of spain that is in.

I do want to:

• Climb Kili and Everest
  • See antarctica/those odd places around it. Probably on a fancy cruise with lots of wildlife education.
You realize Torres Del Paine is in Chile, no?

R.R.

Level 2 Member
I keep a Travel Destinations spreadsheet, and try to assign a year to each destination and/or group destinations together to form a trip. DS only wants to do one large trip per year right now, not including smaller domestic trips to see family/friends. So, selected destinations include:

2015:
• Japan - April and loved it! -- can't wait to go back

2016:
• Hawaii (never been) - May
• Churchill, Canada (polar bears) - Oct - a DS bucket list priority!

2017:
• Antarctica + South America

2018:
• Egypt -- plus optional Jordan/Israel

2019:
• Maya/Incan ruins -- incl Honduras/Guatemala and/or Peru/Bolivia/Ecuador/Galapagos

2020:
• Tanzania safari

2021:
• New Zealand + Australia

2022:
• Edinburgh Fringe Fest + Ireland/London

2023:
• Northern Europe: Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Greenland, Estonia

Anytime/repeatedly:
• Cinque Terre + Northern Italy
• Germany
• Japan

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I should add Antarctica : there is a vessel that visits the Falkland Islands and Sandwich Islands on its way to Antarctica that seems like it could be a lot of fun...

smittytabb

Staff member
I should add Antarctica : there is a vessel that visits the Falkland Islands and Sandwich Islands on its way to Antarctica that seems like it could be a lot of fun...
I just did that trip in late February/early March on the Sea Adventurer with Quark Expeditions. They had a Black Friday sale last year and I got my voyage for half off. South Georgia in the South Sandwich Islands was a huge highlight. Cannot recommend the trip enough! Most ships cross the Drake Passage to Antarctica first and then on to South Georgia and then the Falklands.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I was wondering why I didn't see Torres del Paine in the favorite places thread. Good to know it's not because it sucks but ppl saved it for bucket list. Thanks to @KennyBSAT I have a ticket to there in a few months. I'll let you guys know if I make it back alive after doing the W.

p.s. anyone wanna join the hike? (this is a serious question) PM me. Come on ppl, a chance to cross this off.

Last edited:

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Iceland++ or Greenland (after I have no miles left since redemptions suck and that's all I do now)

Churchill polar bears++

Borneo++ (Uncle Tan)

Back country camping (with someone who knows what the hell they are doing)

Katmai or McNeal River for wild bear sighting (HT: Kenny)

Mandalay/Pagan

more of New Zealand

more of Italy: Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Cicily, Sardinia, Lake Como, driving in Tuscany countryside, villages I don't know about yet...

African Safari (such as Masai Mara for wildlife migration)

see a Sumatran tiger before it goes extinct.

And this view of Northern Lights (saving it for honeymoon):

Last edited:

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
My bucket list is simple and short: make it through the MS'ing and prep for our EU trip next year and then transition from fast and furious to slow and consistent. Lol

Would love to tag along with some of you guys though!

smittytabb

Staff member
As someone who is joining the Traveler's Century Club as soon as I get back from my next trip next week to Hong Kong and Macau (Macau is my 100th TCC country), I have covered a lot of ground, but have a whole lot still to cover!

I've already booked two 2016 trips hitting some new countries among them the Maldives, the Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Burma and another hitting Ivory Coast, Senegal, the Gambia, the Canaries and Gibraltar.

On a short list among many are:

more of Brazil, including Iguazu Falls
Bolivia
Torres del Paine and Chilean Patagonia
Angel Falls, Venezuela
more of Colombia
Salta, Argentina
Copan and other major Mayan sites in Mexico and Central America
train trip across Canada
French Caribbean
Safari in Zambia, Uganda
Ethiopia
Madagascar
Cape Verde
Madeira
Sardinia
Corsica
Malta
Capri
Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre
Five 'Stans
Georgia
Iran
Ukraine
Romania
Latvia
Lithuania
Laos
Mongolia
Borneo
Papua New Guinea
more of French Polynesia
Alaska
Jordan

OK time to stop. There is more, but that is off the top of my head:)

italdesign

Level 2 Member
As someone who is joining the Traveler's Century Club as soon as I get back from my next trip next week to Hong Kong and Macau (Macau is my 100th TCC country)
I love that they list bragging rights as the #1 reason to join. Anyway, congrats on making it this far!

R.R.

Level 2 Member
more of Italy: Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Cicily, Sardinia, Lake Como, driving in Tuscany countryside, villages I don't know about yet...
Yes yes yes!!! Especially villages I don't know about yet...

Although I'll say... the Amalfi coast struck me as an equally beautiful but less relaxing version of the Cinque Terre, and while I can't wait to re-visit the Cinque Terre each and every time I go to Europe, I don't really feel the pull to re-visit the Amalfi Coast. I enjoyed it, yes, and appreciated re-visiting Pompeii after a ten-year gap, but for a relaxing stay, CT has my heart. :)

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Yes yes yes!!! Especially villages I don't know about yet...

Although I'll say... the Amalfi coast struck me as an equally beautiful but less relaxing version of the Cinque Terre, and while I can't wait to re-visit the Cinque Terre each and every time I go to Europe, I don't really feel the pull to re-visit the Amalfi Coast. I enjoyed it, yes, and appreciated re-visiting Pompeii after a ten-year gap, but for a relaxing stay, CT has my heart. :)
Well, I'm someone who loves Venice, so you never know ;) BTW, are there some lesser known places in Italy that you do know about? I recently found out about Brescia and Lake Garda. But I also want something of a village setting, or open landscape like those pix I see of Tuscany fields.

R.R.

Level 2 Member
My father-in-law loved Lake Garda and Lake Como, and recommends that for an upcoming trip. I could see those locations (& perhaps some hill towns) combining nicely with a Cinque Terre stay and a re-visit to Florence, which I loved.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
Iceland++ or Greenland (after I have no miles left since redemptions suck and that's all I do now)

And this view of Northern Lights (saving it for honeymoon):
In case anybody was wondering about the northern lights pic:
Code:
http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/
(I wasn't sure if we need to break these types of links too?)
I love Google image search :)

Last edited:

Marl

Level 2 Member
My list is always changing, but here are a few travel related that never seem to change:

Visit a brewery in all 50 states
Havasu Falls
Travel to Each Continent
Eat BBQ in North Carolina, Memphis, Texas, and Kansas City
African Safari
Easter Island
Galapagos
Crab migration on Christmas Island

Edited to add: Siam Reap

Last edited:

plane2port

Level 2 Member
I have a huge bucket list but there is a cruise I'd really like to take. It's on the Oceania Mariner and it travels west from Valparaiso chile with stops in Robinson Crusoe island, Easter island, and Pitcairn island before disembarking in Papeete.

aerovol

Hawaii - saving this one until marriage or significant other

Greece

Every Disney park (I have Disneyland Paris , HK Disneyland left, along with Shanghai Disneyland remaining) - Yes, I'm a nerd

Back to Hong Kong in general

African safari

Maccu Pichu (will be there Sunday!)

Every continent (missing Antarctica, Australia, and Africa)

Back to Japan

Rick351714

Level 2 Member
Is it bad to stay my bucket list is just to retire early so I can visit all of these places without having the restrictions of needing to take days off from work?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Is it bad to stay my bucket list is just to retire early so I can visit all of these places without having the restrictions of needing to take days off from work?
I feel the opposite. Bucket can be kicked at any time without warning. I want to enjoy life now while I have the strength and passion. I can deal with being old, sick, lonely, poor, and miserable later.

Nothing wrong either way though.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I feel the opposite. Bucket can be kicked at any time without warning. I want to enjoy life now while I have the strength and passion. I can deal with being old, sick, lonely, poor, and miserable later.

Nothing wrong either way though.
I feel the same way, likely because I have a serious heart condition and that bucket has been pretty close twice already. That being said. I have a small list:

Flying international J or F
Visiting my closest college friend in Zimbabwe
Taking my MIL to Europe for the first time (happening this Saturday!)
Seeing more of Scandinavia

Suzie

Level 2 Member
It's a mix of both for us. Getting enough time off work is another layer to planning, but also the fact that dh's father died at 58 w pancreatic cancer. It jolts you to reality. We've always traveled, but we are finally empty-nesters, no more college tuition, and we have been traveling the past few years with increased intensity. Of course, learning the MSing game has helped that along immensely.

The short list:

Peru (June 2016)
Jordan and Egypt
Siam Reap and something!
Argentina and Antarctica
New Zealand and something!

We are looking at Siam Reap or the Argentina trip next November/December. Right now it's a tossup and I know we're going to need to book our flights soon. Any insights? Or Ideas on what the "and something" should be?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Hawaii - saving this one until marriage or significant other

Greece

Every Disney park (I have Disneyland Paris , HK Disneyland left, along with Shanghai Disneyland remaining) - Yes, I'm a nerd

Back to Hong Kong in general

African safari

Maccu Pichu (will be there Sunday!)

Every continent (missing Antarctica, Australia, and Africa)

Back to Japan
Please share your Peru trip. Would love to hear the good and the bad.