SFO to Berlin, Oct 2016

Dave

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to help a relative get to Berlin from the SFO area in mid-Oct. 2016 for about a week. They need to go business class or better, and have around 110k United miles. They were hoping to use miles for at least one-way, and if necessary can pay for the return.

Looking online at United, it's too early to get Oct. tix. But even so, at the further out dates I only see standard awards available on United for business to Berlin. And 110k doesn't cover one-way. I know there's got to be a better way about this. Any help, suggestions, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

1. SFO to TXL (or some close approximation)
2. mid-Oct. 2016
3. Business Class
4. One Passenger
5. 110k United

Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
First thing to consider is that they haven't released inventory yet, so any ideas that come up won't work yet, and perhaps there will be inventory when you need it.

After that, you need to start playing around with routes and airlines, perhaps it is just that the SFO aspect doesn't work well, but LAX does.. maybe DUS is a better option than TXL..? I've not done a lot of German bookings, but I've noticed a propensity towards oneworld for TXL, Air Berlin being an obvious reason... whereas I see stronger hubs for StarAlliance via Lufthansa at FRA/DUS.

One option to consider if they are ok on UA metal is doing the 'book economy, pay business' gig, then standby for business. I think you'll need to watch the space and call in. I believe Dans Deals explained the nuances of it. Doesn't work on Partners IIRC?

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

smittytabb

Staff member
One World is trying to compete in that market in DUS. Last year they started nonstop service between ORD and DUS on AA. So there are a lot of options on OW now too.