SFO - LHR award help - Update booked. Thanks everyone

Avi

Level 2 Member
1. What route are you looking for?
SFO-LHR

2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)?
Outbound: Sep 23-24

3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight")
Business or First. Can fly coach for positioning flight. However would like to avoid east coast positioning flight in coach

4. How many passengers?

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?
300k in AA (would like to avoid BA due to high fuel surcharge)
200k UR
150k Amex MR
150k Citi TYP

Appreciate your help.

stellar

Level 2 Member
Haven't done extensive research on your dates, but just did east coast to LHR research for a relative and found availability out of IAD on AA.
May also want to try departing/returning to Charlotte on AA/US Air metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avi

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
BA isn't as high on the outbound--so you could split it up, and fly in on BA. The fees are highest if flights originate in the UK. Also learned that flights in/out of UK that are less than 24 hours apart, the fees are lower. (Which is how I, unknowingly, saved so much on a flight through London, home from VCE, this fall).

BA isn't really the issue. Flights out of the UK, are. But, as they're based on length of flight, you could try, on the return trip, doing LHR or LGW to either Paris or Madrid, and then flying Air France or Iberia transcontinental.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I know you don't want to fly coach. I wouldn't either. But it is available on the UA nonstops between SFO-LHR.

There are also flights via BOS and IAD to FRA, coach on UA, biz on LH. You'd then need to find an award seat on to LHR.

Avi

Level 2 Member
Thanks everyone. I noticed today Delta opened up seats from LAX-LHR for both Sep 23 and Sep 24 and booked them immediately (Transferred Amex MR to Delta)