SFO - ATH - GLA - SFO

raccah

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice on the trip above for October 2015, yeah late to the game I know. I have booked it (refundable) on non-saver - but as a cheap human that sux!

I only want biz or first class. Oct 11 fly out and return on Nov 2nd. I have lots miles/points in all programs, SPG/MR/UR/UAL/AA. Also, I will be hopping to Spain and then to GLA, but did not put that on the request as it is alredy asking too much.

2 adults
Can anyone make some suggestions?

TIA!

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I'm not really sure what you're looking for, just availability or for some creative routings to maximize your open jaw. So I'm just focused on availability here with AA and UA miles. So if this is too basic and bores you ... sorry. :)

I always start with looking at one-ways for the TATL to see availability. Since SFO is a UA hub, I started with UA. FRA, MUC, LON, ARN, CPH, VIE, ZRH, and IST were all nada on the TATL.

So I switched to LAX and EWR. Nothing.

Finally found open J on JFK-FRA, and then the aforementioned YYZ-FRA. And all the FRA-ATH flights have J (domestic F) open. So when I tried JFK-ATH, J is there, and the TATL is clearly the problem.

I haven't booked a complex UA award in a long time, but if you call in and get them to get you SFO-EWR/JFK-FRA-ATH, that would work. Maybe someone else can tell you if that's legal. Or if there's a better way than into EWR and on your own to JFK. IDK.

For your return, all the flights from GLA on UA route through DUB for some reason. Even to FRA, there were no direct LH options. IDK why that is showing that way. It's not horrible, but it's got a ton of tax on it. So I gave up on GLA and checked LON and MAN, and nothing either.

For AA, I don't see anything from SFO. But seeing J from ATL to ATH, and F from IAH and IAD to ATH, all via BA. So if positioning is cheaper/desirable, might work out. On the return, nothing from GLA that I'm seeing. But there J from MAN via ORD.

That's the best I got, so I'll stop there for now. If you have any flexibility though, it seemed Oct 12 had more open flights. I didn't check them, but worth considering.