SEA-Germania

LittleWalrus

Hi all! I'm trying to find a less painful flight to and from Europe. Ideally I'd like to get a one way from SEA to Europe and then transfer to SZG, MUN, or VIE (in order of preference). I really appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

My goals in order of priority:
  • Use AA miles for off peak
  • Duration, no more than 1 stopover
  • Direct to Europe (I'm dreaming)
  • Ideally avoid red eyes (Again dreaming, don't expect this is possible)
1. What route are you looking for? SEA - SZG, MUN, OR VIE
2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)? Mid/End Nov thru End of Dec/Early Jan
3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight") Coach (preferably) or biz
4. How many passengers? 2
5. How many points do you have, in which programs?
AA#1: 80K
AA#2: 104K
UR: 84K
SW: 35K (no companion pass)
United: 58K
Avios: 22K

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all! I'm trying to find a less painful flight to and from Europe. Ideally I'd like to get a one way from SEA to Europe and then transfer to SZG, MUN, or VIE (in order of preference). I really appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

My goals in order of priority:
  • Use AA miles for off peak
  • Duration, no more than 1 stopover
  • Direct to Europe (I'm dreaming)
  • Ideally avoid red eyes (Again dreaming, don't expect this is possible)
1. What route are you looking for? SEA - SZG, MUN, OR VIE
2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)? Mid/End Nov thru End of Dec/Early Jan
3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight") Coach (preferably) or biz
4. How many passengers? 2
5. How many points do you have, in which programs?
AA#1: 80K
AA#2: 104K
UR: 84K
SW: 35K (no companion pass)
United: 58K
Avios: 22K
I'd say you're best route would be this one, but finding space isn't easy, you'll have to hunt around and play with dates on the UA website.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 3.18.14 PM.png

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
SEA-JFK/ORD-TXL-??? on Air Berlin, can be booked for 40k roundtrip off-peak.
Or
SEA-PHL-MUC on US/AA, same 40k RT.

You are going to be on a red eye. Book that leg in Biz, the return in econ for 70k miles roundtrip.

LittleWalrus

SEA-JFK/ORD-TXL-??? on Air Berlin, can be booked for 40k roundtrip off-peak.
Or
SEA-PHL-MUC on US/AA, same 40k RT.

You are going to be on a red eye. Book that leg in Biz, the return in econ for 70k miles roundtrip.
Yeah that's the route I usually take (SEA-JFK/JFK-Germany). But I'd really like to eliminate the domestic stopover.

Like your idea to do biz for the red eye, don't know why I didn't think of that.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I don't know the answer to this one, so I'll ask it. Is it even possible to get a non-stop from SEA to Germany? Seems like too long a flight to do without refueling. But I'm not an expert.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the answer to this one, so I'll ask it. Is it even possible to get a non-stop from SEA to Germany? Seems like too long a flight to do without refueling. But I'm not an expert.
I'm not allowed to say read the thread right? :)

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
So...I have reread it, Matt. A little unclear. Is he saying he'd prefer a non-US stopover? If so, my question stands...because SEA to, for example LHR, is still a lonnnng flight.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So...I have reread it, Matt. A little unclear. Is he saying he'd prefer a non-US stopover? If so, my question stands...because SEA to, for example LHR, is still a lonnnng flight.
My reply, post #2 was SEA-FRA non stop on LH, then an hour to SZG.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. The teeny tiny print and my wacky glasses...that's my excuse. :rolleyes:
I can show my own ignorance and think it might be a great flight in Biz or some other fancy class... not knowing anything about 'the bird'. It's an odd route for sure.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I can show my own ignorance and think it might be a great flight in Biz or some other fancy class... not knowing anything about 'the bird'. It's an odd route for sure.
Angled flat on the A340, old LH business class product on that route most likely.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
It flies over the north pole, not that long of a flight. Its actually better to have a long flight (imo) on a redeye like that to increase the chance of some sleep. The JFK-LHR redeyes make for rough days.

smittytabb

Staff member
It flies over the north pole, not that long of a flight. Its actually better to have a long flight (imo) on a redeye like that to increase the chance of some sleep. The JFK-LHR redeyes make for rough days.
Yes, I have taken that one a few times on AA and I love their lie flat business on that route in the 777-300ER, except that as soon as you fall asleep they are serving breakfast:)

TheBOSman

Staff member
I had a 5:20 flight duration JFK-LHR with BA, even in F I basically got a nap worth of sleep.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I'm flying MSP-FCO on DL biz/first to Italy this fall. Makes for a decent length sleep. Coming home it includes the LHR-JFK. But since it's a daytime flight, taking a decent nap in first on AA will be fine.