SavingStar Amex credit card: the poor man’s Upromise card?

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Here’s a card I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere : the SavingStar Amex by First Bankcard, part of First National Bank of Omaha. Let’s check out the marketing hook:

We can certainly ignore the 1% back on everything else, of course. The 10% catches my eye, as it was intended to do. The smaller print says that you get 10% back on “eligible SavingStar grocery purchases in addition to your SavingStar cash back reward.” I’m not sure what “eligible SavingStar grocery purchases” are, but there’s an example below:

So apparently you can get coupons from SavingStar and then use this credit card to save a little extra. I’m not familiar with SavingStar’s coupons, but given that I’m not into couponing I’m going to pass on this part of it. (If any of you use SavingStar and have some insight whether there would be good deals to be had, I’m all ears.)

Which brings me to the final part of this card’s value proposition, the 5% cash back on SavingStar mall purchases. Here’s another example from the card’s website:

Now I’m interested, though not yet interested enough to pull the trigger. This is how the Upromise credit card works–you get whatever the portal bonus is plus an additional 5% cash back. I haven’t used this card very much, but a few months ago Staples was at 5% on the Upromise portal, so I made some purchases with my Upromise card, and I did indeed receive 10% back, though the portal is pretty slow.

With that said, I know absolutely nothing about SavingStar, so there isn’t much more I can say. Staples is at 6% on their portal as of press time, if anybody’s interested. Since I don’t use the Upromise card too much I don’t see enough here to make me want to apply for another similar card. Do any of you have thoughts on this one?

The post SavingStar Amex credit card: the poor man’s Upromise card? appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...