Saverocity Observation Deck Ep 23

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
If you want to go to South America primarily for wine tasting, where should you go? For some reason, even though Argentinean Malbecs are some of my favorite wines, I never thought of going to South America for wine tasting until I heard you all raving about some of the vineyards there!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Chile is such a varied Country for wine that you can find great things everywhere. I found that they were very strong with Cabs and Carmenere on the reds. The casablanca valley where we visited was newer (20yr old range of vineyards, though vines planted earlier).
I would go to Chile, and then pop over to Argentina, once you got that far it isn't a lot further to trek :)

Also, as a warm up closer to home, there is some fantastic wine country near Niagara on the Lake.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
The area around Mendoza is great, but if you venture out a little further to the Uco Valley, there are some amazing wineries. Some of our favorites were Pulenta, Salentin, La Azul, and many more. We stayed at the most picturesque place we have ever stayed in - it's called Tupungato Divino. You will never see more stars. If you go during the summer, you can drive across the Andes to Chile and check out all that is over there. Obviously I'm the opposite of Matt and biased towards Argentina since that's where I've been :)

And in upstate new york - the wines around seneca and cayuga lake are surprisingly solid, especially Rieslings. Of course I'm biased there too because we had our wedding reception at Lamoreaux up there

Bury

Level 2 Member
New to this site/podcast - thank you for sharing. Now to go through the archives!