Saver/Standard on SQ

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK, we are waitlisted in Business in September FRA-JFK but of course there is no guarantee that we will get seats and if we don't a one way could be really high especially at that season. If we don't get it I could try to use my Kris flyer miles for another Star Alliance carrier but I like to save them for SingAir as they save their good awards for their own.

I could spend 22500 miles more and just book Standard and be done with it. If I do that would it take me off the wait list or could I still get the cheaper in miles fare if it comes through?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
No, can't book Standard and waitlist for saver on the same flight. But you can book Standard one day and waitlist a different day if you're flexible.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Don't know your travel date but early September can be pretty busy for flights from Europe to USA. So dukerau's suggestion seems wise. Just a $30 fee to cancel and redeposit the standard tickets if the saver comes through. You can also call SQ and ask them the chances of the waitlist clearing; they'll usually provide an idea of whether it's likely or not.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
You can also call SQ and ask them the chances of the waitlist clearing; they'll usually provide an idea of whether it's likely or not.
Can't hurt to ask, but IME they don't know anything. I was flying as a group of 4 last year on IAH-DME (there are 8 F seats). 2 of us were in F, 2 were in J and waitlisted for F. I checked regularly on the waitlist and was always told it's out of their control but they can send a request for update. Never heard anything. At the gate, I asked about the waitlist or if there's anyway to get the other 2 people into F, and they said something about how they had asked for approval to process the waitlist upgrades but never got a response. Then we saw why - two of us in F, six empty seats. If SQ won't clear a waitlist then, I don't know when they will. Status probably helps, and maybe we were just unlucky? My advice is to pay standard rates if you really want F, because there seems to be no logic in the waitlist process.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I blinked. Took the Standard at 68000 miles with discount. Hey, I sometimes pay for business so why screw myself by waiting for the list to clear. Too much chance of a bad result. Wonder if they ever upgrade Krisflyer Gold to Suites?