Save on checked baggage from Hawaii

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I just got back from Hawaii with my wife and I found an interesting trick to save on baggage fees if you are using Hawaiian airlines to fly inter-island and connecting to another airline back to the mainland. We flew from Kona to Honolulu on Hawaiian and then back to NY on United.

If you check in to Hawaiian online, you can upgrade to First for $50. Since my wife and I each had 2 bags (we were scuba diving so we each had a dedicated dive bag), we would have had to pay $35 for the bags ($50 if we weren't Hawaiian FF members.) Instead, I paid the $50 for First class and and got the bags free + upgraded seats, etc. $15 extra net for first class seats, even for a 40 minute flight, seemed like a good deal. What I didn't know was that Hawaiian airlines will check your bags through to the mainland (no need to pay baggage charges on the second carrier) even if you are flying on a different airline. Thus, if you have bags, you can use the $50 Hawaiian upgrade and pay no additional fees to get 2 pieces of luggage per person all the way back to the mainland. If this were not true, someone flying in economy without any free bags from credit cards would have to pay for 2 bags on Hawaiian and then 2 bags on the second carrier, which would approach $100.

This is of limited usefulness unless you have multiple checked bags and are flying economy back to the mainland, but I did think it was cool that there is a way to avoid the second set of bag fees.

jmw

Level 2 Member
Don't try this on other airlines assuming it will work. Your baggage allowance is usually based upon your originally booked ticket.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Hawaiian baggage fees drive me nuts, I've had to pay them even on paid F tickets that were connecting immediately to my flight to the mainland.

I had no clue they offered $50 upgrades if you check in online, will definitely try that next time.

slickmouse

Level 2 Member
We discovered this by accident as well. The $50 FC upgrade was worth it on 3 of our 4 inter-island trips. We also were able to have our bags checked through - although we were flying FC back to the mainland - so that was of lesser value for us. Our flights back to the mainland were on different reservations and different airlines and they still checked it all the way through to Dallas. Very nice.

While I did enjoy the FC upgrade on the HA flights - none of my seats would recline. Don't know if that is specific to HA FC seats or just my luck on those flights. I thought it was odd. It was our first trip to Hawaii - but not our last :)

Vins68

Level 2 Member
:(Great trick to know. We paid for the baggage twice. Once for inter island and once for the mainland flight. lesson learnt.