SAN/LAX-Rome, August 2015

Maggie66

Level 2 Member
Hello all, I'm looking for help booking a trip for 2 from SAN/LAX-Rome. I currently do not have any miles saved, but do have the ability to sign-up for any travel related credit card out there (don't have any atm).

1. What route are you looking for?
SAN/LAX-Rome

2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)?
08/16/15 - 08/28/15 (flexible within + 2 days)

3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight")
The cheapest available

4. How many passengers?

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?
None, zero. Do not have any related travel cards so I could grab any sign-up bonuses.

Thank you for any and all help.

huntdealz123

Level 2 Member
Plenty of options available on delta from between 60-67.5k points. Search on delta.com. The 60k flights are on partners, and will have a higher cash component.

Amex has 50k offers on the gold card every few months (nothing for now) so keep a watch for those. If you have a good offer for Amex MR cards, then those would work too.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
UA offers one way coach flights to Rome for 30K points. They tend to be a combination of UA and LH metal. Right now, I found 5 outbound dates in August including Aug 18 with seats for 2. There are two seats for the return on Aug 25/26/27/28. Taxes for the RT will be under $100. That's not a predictor of what you'll find when you have points. There might be more dates, there might be less, they might be different dates.

There are several cards that will give you UA points or UR points that can be transferred to United. All of them are issued by Chase, who will want you to spread out your applications.

- United personal and biz card
- Chase Sapphire
- Chase Freedom
- Chase Ink (this is a business card)

You'll really need to hustle to get 120K points and won't have any assurance til you do that seats are available. I hope that you and your travel companion can both apply for cards. Ideally you'll find 50K signup bonuses and can then get the spend to push you up to 60K points. Late August is a reasonably good time to find coach seats to Europe.

Best of luck to you.