safeway gas rewards

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I have been using earning safeway gas rewards with univision and Mastercard GC.

I didn't earn any with visa GC today but earned 2x on 7/20 when I bought univision. Unfortunately, Univision has screwed up the pin setting process so make sure you have another means of liquidating like evolve or reg spend.

At my safeway gas location, the cash price is different than the CC price. So I buy a $100 Safeway GC inside the store using my 5% amex blue and get the cash rate at the pump with the GC.

At this point I'm wondering what to do with all these gas rewards points. I drive a small car and don't have a long commute so I can use atmost 3x $1/gallon discounts every month.
Can you donate them to charitable organizations who can use them?

Miles Mademoiselle

Level 2 Member
Good question and helpful info. Haven't tried Univision but will look into it. Not sure about donating the points but if you need a taker, I fill up at Safeway gas 3 times a week for my commute. I can't get enough of those gas rewards!

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I bought some univision, mastercard GC and visa GC last night and didn't get any gas points. Looks like they have caught the loop hole.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
At this point I'm wondering what to do with all these gas rewards points. I drive a small car and don't have a long commute so I can use atmost 3x $1/gallon discounts every month.
I think some folks set up multiple SW accounts using different phone numbers so they can spread the fuel points around. By giving someone access to a phone number, they can sell or give away the fuel points they don't need. But I haven't done it myself. Others show up at the station with a SO or friend and fill multiple vehicles. People also fill gas cans but that's too much of a fire hazard for me!

Can you donate them to charitable organizations who can use them?
Love this idea! Maybe if you use an alternate phone number some of the time you can make this work. I wonder if SW does anything to facilitate such donations? If not, they should!

Dia

Level 2 Member
My experience (a few months old, so may have changed) was that fixed level Visa/MC gift cards worked, variable cards didn't.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
My experience (a few months old, so may have changed) was that fixed level Visa/MC gift cards worked, variable cards didn't.
I bought some univision, mastercard GC and visa GC last night and didn't get any gas points. Looks like they have caught the loop hole.
I think this is YMMV depending upon where you live. I bought a variable load Univision MC last week from Safeway and got 2x gas points. I'm in NorCal.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I think this is YMMV depending upon where you live. I bought a variable load Univision MC last week from Safeway and got 2x gas points. I'm in NorCal.
Totally agree. It also varies by what offer is currently running and by whether you signed up for offers in SW's "Just For You" program - that's where you add coupons to your account so they get attached to your phone number and work automatically at the register.

The variable MCGC I bought this week in Oregon did not give me any fuel points when in the past I got 2X. If you really need fuel points, stick to regular gift cards - for example the $25 Arco card I also bought in a separate transaction - did get 2X. But again, I am not sure whether all store GCs do this or not. And you may need to have added 2x fuel points to your Safeway account online.

I have no commute and drive a hybrid so we often don't even use the points we earn. But if you have a serious commute, it may be worth figuring out how the system works.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I"m pretty sad this has come to an end. I do have some rewards that will expire tomorrow. If any of you can use them please send me a message and I'm happy to share.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I was also thinking from next month on, I will still buy gas at safeway. Cash price at my safeway is same as arco. And I get the cash price when I pay with Safeway GC.

So in some ways, safeway gas cost is same as arco. Maybe when they ahve a 4x promo, I will stock up on arco GCs and use up teh safeway gas rewards in one go and then move to arco.

coveredincats

Level 2 Member
Kinda small potatoes, but Safeway is running a J4U promo of $5 off a $75 Amazon GC and 2x fuel points on GCs, which normally earn 2x so now it doubles to 4x. And they gave me the points for the pre-discount amount so a $75 GC earned me 300 points.

Jason

Level 2 Member
Curious if anyone has found any changes to this. I've tried two stores that used to work for non-variable MC and now they are earning zero rewards. Any alternative products?

MaryE

Level 2 Member
Safeway seems to be pushing people to buy GC with CC in order to get fuel points. There is a sign that states, CC, debit, cash, or check, buy GC - no refunds. Monterey county area.