Resources

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Resources are a really powerful part of the forum. These documents are unique and allow us to store and manage topics easily. Resources can be found under the logo.

When creating resources we can select the most appropriate Category - doing so will automatically create a link to that resource in that forum. You can see this happening in the Starwood forum with my SPG Resource.

From a data security perspective, I have set 'permission levels' on the resources similar to the forums. Un registered guests cannot view any resource. And resources that apply to Level 2 topics can only be viewed by members with Level 2 forum access.

I'd love to see members here building resources for our shared knowledge. I will certainly build some myself, but a collective effort will be more powerful for the group. If you want to create one, I made a resource called How to Build a Resource

Don't worry about 'messing up' they can be edited and adjusted so if you make a little mistake we can help fix that and you are still making a massive contribution to the overall value of the site to people here. I'm excited to see what you can come up with, and am thinking to run a competition in the future for people who have built them on the site.

Last edited:

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Yo, Matt,
I can no longer see the "How to Build a Resource" resource. I have something I'd like to "give back" to the community, but it really only makes sense in spreadsheet format and it appears that .xls and .xlsx are disallowed extensions. Suggestions? I don't really want to drop it in Google docs as then permission to it is no longer self-managing as it is with forum resources.

Is there a "what you can do and what you can't" resource for resources?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yo, Matt,
I can no longer see the "How to Build a Resource" resource. I have something I'd like to "give back" to the community, but it really only makes sense in spreadsheet format and it appears that .xls and .xlsx are disallowed extensions. Suggestions? I don't really want to drop it in Google docs as then permission to it is no longer self-managing as it is with forum resources.

Is there a "what you can do and what you can't" resource for resources?
Hey Ed,

That's very kind of you thanks!

I'm actually in the process of rethinking and redesigning the entire forum, and I think I am going to nuke the Resources section in their current format. Regarding the sheet, that would be great- we can upload as attachments (I believe xls,xlsx and if not I will try to add that in) and we can upload BB tables, which requires a bit of parsing that I can do.

You can email me the sheet if you like, and I'll get it going for you once the new additions are in place.

I'm thinking to make the resource area mostly 'how to' guides for using the forum, and then have user content in a different section that is more powerful.

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
1) Happy new year ... didn't expect to get a reply today.

2) Until your new thing gets going, how would you suggest I contribute? I got myself all hyped up to contribute on New Years. :)

In the spirit of the non-spoonfeeding mentality of Level 2, I *think* I can get it to work by saving as an .xml spreadsheet (which is also not allowed) but then changing extension to .txt. So those wanting to consume it would download, change extension, open in Excel. Seems as simple as it's going to get.

I'm going to post a test "resource" to see what a "textified" XML doc looks like. Here goes nothing ...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
1) Happy new year ... didn't expect to get a reply today.

2) Until your new thing gets going, how would you suggest I contribute? I got myself all hyped up to contribute on New Years. :)

In the spirit of the non-spoonfeeding mentality of Level 2, I *think* I can get it to work by saving as an .xml spreadsheet (which is also not allowed) but then changing extension to .txt. So those wanting to consume it would download, change extension, open in Excel. Seems as simple as it's going to get.

I'm going to post a test "resource" to see what a "textified" XML doc looks like. Here goes nothing ...
I added functionality to upload xls,xlsx,xml to help.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki is now live. Resources will change from their current function and be used in a more effective manner.