Rent a Car in Chicago???

endweek1

implantimplant Nhân Tâm TpHCM đang từng bước khẳng định uy tín của mình trong lòng khách hàng
I'll be working about 5 minutes from O'Hare and will have rides back & forth to my work location. I'll stay at an airport hotel. So ... would it be best to rent a car? I don't have a sense of what it's like to drive in Chicago. If it's like NYC -- I'll pass.

smittytabb

Staff member
implantimplant Nhân Tâm TpHCM đang từng bước khẳng định uy tín của mình trong lòng khách hàng
I'll be working about 5 minutes from O'Hare and will have rides back & forth to my work location. I'll stay at an airport hotel. So ... would it be best to rent a car? I don't have a sense of what it's like to drive in Chicago. If it's like NYC -- I'll pass.
Out near O'Hare is like the suburbs of most cities. Pretty easy driving. If you have rides for work, you can just use Uber or other car services to get around for other things. It depends on what you want to do of course. Driving in Chicago is not really like New York IMHO. I never drive in New York, personally either. You are a ways out from things but renting a car is expensive if you only need it for the occasional trip here and there.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Driving in Chicago is nowhere near as bad as NYC. You'll need to be aggressive still, but can easily move from street to street. Parking can get expensive quick, however.

One note, if staying by Ohare, is that you should be able to catch the blue line downtown and ride public transportation as needed, though I'm not overly wowed by the cleanliness/safety of it in Chicago...

Alden

Driving in Chicago is nowhere near as bad as NYC. You'll need to be aggressive still, but can easily move from street to street. Parking can get expensive quick, however.

One note, if staying by Ohare, is that you should be able to catch the blue line downtown and ride public transportation as needed, though I'm not overly wowed by the cleanliness/safety of it in Chicago...
This just about sums it up, I stayed at the spring hill suites which is 1 blue line stop from the airport. It was a 30-40 minute trip downtown on the EL in the evening which I didn't think was bad. Driving there isn't remotely as bad as NYC, but if you don't have to, why bother?

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
It depends. Where do you want to go and what do you want to do, and how long will you be stuck out by the airport? If its just an after work trip to walk around the loop and the mag mile, then the Blue Line is best. If you have a weekend and want to explore some of the great neighborhood restaurants, bars, music venues, etc, then a car is worthwhile. Just avoid rush hour driving.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Driving in Chicago is easier than NYC, but parking seriously seems more expensive in downtown Chicago than it does in Manhattan even. I would avoid renting if at all possible, and take the blue line in from O'Hare (ideally, get on at the stop after O'Hare and save the airport surcharge), then taxi or Uber around as needed.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Depends what you want to do. If you want to go downtown, id take the blue line. If you want to go nearby for dinner, probably easier/cheaper to do taxis/uber. If you want to get off the beaten path (explore a forest, random lake, etc) then you'd probably want a car.

Dorothy

I'm plane the trip to Chicago next summer. I have rent a porsche in dubai and ask you to advise a porche rent company in Chicago, thank you.