Receipt management app?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Since my inquiry about cable modems was very helpful, I thought I'd pose another tech question. Can folks recommend an app that I can use to track my husband's business expenses?

As a college professor who does some consulting, he is able to deduct certain expenses and so we save all his receipts for electronics, lecture fees, travel, books, parking, etc. They get filed and then we deal with the paper receipts at tax time. Some get counted as unreimbursed business expenses and others are Schedule C income. Since he does not submit monthly expense reports to anyone and few things get reimbursed by the university during the year, it is a lot of small slips of paper to deal with come April.

Ideally, I'd like an app that enables us to take a photo of a receipt. The app should then categorize each expense in a way that allows him to review individual expenses, categorize them, and and total them. An app that takes a photo and an accompanying website to massage the data would be just fine.

What app/website do you use? Or what have you considered? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks for that!

I have a small network marketing business, as well as reselling and real estate investing--lots of misc stuff to keep track of.

My worst nightmare would be to be audited for a tax year that's four years ago--because a lot of those paper receipts fade within about 6 months, and it would be nigh onto impossible to prove that they said what I said they said, esp if I'd paid cash--which I frequently did, back then.