Question on 23.5 hour layovers . . .

Suzie

Level 2 Member
On return trip from Peru, we leave Cusco and have a 23.5 hour layover in Arequipa, then fly to Lima and have a 15.5 hour layover in Lima before continuing on to JFK. Does our checked baggage get checked through to JFK from Cusco?

And can carry on be secured at Lima airport? Don't want to be hauling that around the city.

Thanks very much for any guidance!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It probably depends on the rules for customs in the country. On even a short layover in the EU, when changing planes, you need to collect your luggage and go through customs before you can go into the inter-EU terminal.

As for securing luggage, you may want to look at the airports' websites, and see if there are lockers there.

smittytabb

Staff member
On return trip from Peru, we leave Cusco and have a 23.5 hour layover in Arequipa, then fly to Lima and have a 15.5 hour layover in Lima before continuing on to JFK. Does our checked baggage get checked through to JFK from Cusco?

And can carry on be secured at Lima airport? Don't want to be hauling that around the city.

Thanks very much for any guidance!
If you are staying on the same carrier (or one with an agreement with the connecting carrier) and JFK is your first stop in the U.S., you will most likely be able to check it thru and it will show up at JFK. Meanwhile, very few airports have lockers anymore for obvious reasons. I would be surprised if you would be able to store it anywhere. I'd consider getting a day room instead.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
The Lima airport has a left luggage checking service in the domestic arrival terminal. search the link for left luggage:

http://www.limaeasy.com/lima-info/lima-international-airport or
http://www.fertur-travel.com/blog/2013/luggage-storage-at-limas-jorge-chavez-international-airport/4896/

Arequipa doesn't seem to offer luggage storage.
In Arequipa we are getting a room so not a problem with carry on. We arrive in Lima early morning and depart around midnight so the storage option is great.

Thank you. Very helpful!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
If you are staying on the same carrier (or one with an agreement with the connecting carrier) and JFK is your first stop in the U.S., you will most likely be able to check it thru and it will show up at JFK. Meanwhile, very few airports have lockers anymore for obvious reasons. I would be surprised if you would be able to store it anywhere. I'd consider getting a day room instead.
Yes all same carrier, one award ticket. Hoping it does get checked through - need to make sure I pack enough clean undies in the carry on!

Thank you!

smittytabb

Staff member
Yes all same carrier, one award ticket. Hoping it does get checked through - need to make sure I pack enough clean undies in the carry on!

Thank you!
That is interesting information @BuddyFunJet found. Sometimes there have been lockers/places to store luggage on the internet but the info is outdated. Looks like this is current enough. I would be sure to bring luggage locks if you do store anything at the Lima airport. And don't pack any valuables in your checked luggage at all.