[Q]United award mix cabin rules?

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
Hi,
I am booking TPE-LAX-PHX. I was able to find many business award openings on BR airline for TPE-LAX segment, but the domestic segment doesn't have business class, do I get the economy seats or would the business class award ticket allow me to go to the First class seats?
Thanks,

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
They get you what they get you. The most important part of any trip is the overwater part, and that's what you want to be in J. IF they want to, they'll put you in F or J on domestic. But there's no guarantee, whatsoever.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
...the domestic segment doesn't have business class, do I get the economy seats or would the business class award ticket allow me to go to the First class seats?
Thanks,
If F is available on the domestic sector, you are entitled to it. I often find the domestic sector to be the most challenging to redeem in F and settle for coach if that is all that is available.

Newgene

My luck has not been good on getting upgraded on the econo legs of the mixed cabins. Sure, you can call in to be added above the rest of the list for upgrades, but I haven't had success with the upgrade.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
On the domestic part, elites w/paid tickets have precedence. That's as it should be. For international portion, it's pretty unhelpful to call just once. OTOH, calling daily, starting about a month or two before your flight, is a good strategy. Call right around when the call center for award flights opens, be precise (use your confirmation number), and ask them to check.

The first shift CSRs will get to know you, and be more than willing to help. I had one repeatedly checking the system when a seat showed in pone spot and wouldn't book, then call me back once she'd booked it.

Newgene

The catch with mixed cabin awards are that you don't really ask to be "upgraded." That puts you in line with elites, etc. You are essentially booking a first/business ticket, and are just waiting for the space to open. This gives you a rare precedence over other elites. You can google "mixed cabin upgrade united," and it should give you some pages of bloggers and forums that have talked about this. Basically, you have to call in and ask to waitlisted, and it should show IN Class Requested (versus X or XN class). If the agent sets it up correctly, you will see the IN request. This is different than your normal upgrade. You can also then google "mixed cabin upgrade plan b" for a backup plan to booking it that way, as well.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Newgene-

Good advice.

A question on the current UA IT. Once the IN request is set properly, will you automatically get the higher class seat or do you have to monitor it (say with EF) and call in?

Newgene

In my last case, I had to monitor it, but nothing ever opened for me. It just sat there in IN status. However, I did see my waitlist status go to the top of the list when I'm normally much further down. I was first position but nothing ever opened.