Puerto Rico long weekend advice

vinyalwhl

Level 7 Panda Tamer and All-round Good Guy
So I am planning a long weekend trip this winter to PR and I have never been there before. We are looking for somewhere with a nice beach preferably low key but also with nearby hiking. We have it narrowed down to:

Manati/Arecibo area beaches with hiking to Cueva Ventana

or

Fajardo beaches with hiking in El Yunque

Any input would be appreciated. Right now it is on a coin flip.

Alpen_Geoff

Level 2 Member
How's your Spanish? Personally I would do Arecibo/Manati/Camuy as there is some beautiful terrain around there including the hike you mention but also Parque Las Cavernas Rio Camuy (underground river and caves) in addition there's the famous Heladeria Lares which is an ice cream shop with all sorts of crazy Puerto Rican / Caribbean flavours and you're close to the beaches in Isabella, Aguadilla, Rincon. Now IMO the beaches aren't as "nice" on this area of the island as far as the picture perfect Caribbean beach but they're a bit more rugged, undeveloped and I think beautiful. If you want the amazing beaches do the Fajardo end and take the ferry to Culebra or Vieques for the day.

Both areas are great though, when we lived in San Juan we used to camp in Yunque quite a bit and love it but the NW is more secluded, quieter, more authentic PR and doesn't have the hoards of cruise ship pax or bus groups from OSJ like Pinones/El Yunque has.

Let me know what other details I can help with, we've spent a lot of time on the island in the last 6 years including living there for a while.

vinyalwhl

Level 7 Panda Tamer and All-round Good Guy
My Spanish is almost non-existent but that has never stopped me before. Thanks for the info on Arecibo that sounds exactly what we are looking for, I prefer rugged beaches and I tend to avoid cruise routes. I really appreciate it.

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
How's your Spanish? Personally I would do Arecibo/Manati/Camuy as there is some beautiful terrain around there including the hike you mention but also Parque Las Cavernas Rio Camuy (underground river and caves) in addition there's the famous Heladeria Lares which is an ice cream shop with all sorts of crazy Puerto Rican / Caribbean flavours and you're close to the beaches in Isabella, Aguadilla, Rincon. Now IMO the beaches aren't as "nice" on this area of the island as far as the picture perfect Caribbean beach but they're a bit more rugged, undeveloped and I think beautiful. If you want the amazing beaches do the Fajardo end and take the ferry to Culebra or Vieques for the day.

Both areas are great though, when we lived in San Juan we used to camp in Yunque quite a bit and love it but the NW is more secluded, quieter, more authentic PR and doesn't have the hoards of cruise ship pax or bus groups from OSJ like Pinones/El Yunque has.

Let me know what other details I can help with, we've spent a lot of time on the island in the last 6 years including living there for a while.
Hey Geoff,

I'll be there Christmas week. What do you think of this itinerary?
12/20-21 San Juan
12/22-23 Fajardo/Icacos
12/24-25 Manati/Arecibo/Camuy
12/26-27 San Juan

What's the better place to be Christmas Eve/Day?
I can switch Fajardo and Manati around.

Thanks man. Btw, my Safeway thing got fixed :)

Bill

Alpen_Geoff

Level 2 Member
Depends what you're looking for on Christmas, remember that PR is pretty religious so most things are closed for Christmas and tends to be a big family day - typically they'll make Pernil which is a roast pork that takes most of the day so it tends to be quiet out and about. If you can get yourself some home made stuff though or even a small restaurant if you find one open it's phenomenal!

Do you have accommodation planned? My biggest hold up for you would be the drive between Fajardo and Manati area will take up a chunk of that day, make sure you use the the "new" highway (66) coming back from Fajardo, it is a toll road but is much quicker than working your way in through Canovanas, Carolina etc. on the old one with stoplights - there's a Walmart right where it starts too if you need to stop in for some MOs!

Let me know what things you're going to see / do in each place - I'm assuming Camuy Caverns, snorkling in Icacos etc. and I should be able to give you a bit more info on what dates to do what. That said Fajardo is more likely to have activities open on Christmas as it's a bit more tourist traveled.