Project Fi – the best plan for international travel?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I’ve been with AT&T since day 1, and have a love hate relationship with them. They work pretty well, have as a good a range of devices as anyone, but they charge too much. When it comes to international travel, I personally value access to data above voice. That said, I still recall two conversations in Africa trying to find our travel agent which cost around $50 each for a few minutes of getting the run around.

AT&T international data is pricey. If you pay by the MB it can be $2 per, so downloading a few photos or using turn by turn navigation for a trip can really add up. Thankfully they have a package that you can buy with a block of data:

ATT International Data

One cool thing that I’ve noticed is that they’ve allowed me to retroactively apply the data plan. On one recent trip I had to pull up a copy of my passport from dropbox on my phone, and after much faffing saw a bill of about $100 for the trip. I applied a $30 120MB package to the account on my return, and it adjusted the bill down, removing the data fee.

Let’s be honest though, even though $30 was cheaper than $100, 120MB isn’t much, and $30 is cheeky as hell, so i’ve been researching alternatives. Despite having a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T, I found that I’m on Wifi so much these days that I only use about 1-2Gb of data a month, all in I pay about $80 for that with an iPhone.

T-Mobile vs Project Fi

Both of these companies are changing the game for international phone use. T-Mobile is better known, but I’m hoping that Project Fi will be better, since T-Mobile sucks, at least it does based on my trial of them. While I want the unit primarily for travel, it would be nice to have a device that handled itself well in the US also, so I could drop to just one phone.

Why I’m hopeful for Fi

Fi runs on two networks, T- Mobile and Sprint. On a high level (without doing real research) I figure that means if T Mobile sucks for coverage where I am, there’s a chance Sprint doesn’t, so I might get better coverage. The theory is that they hand off between the best available 4G LTE to keep you with the strongest signal out of these carriers.

Pricing

• T-Mobile starts out at $50 for 2GB. I like to think of that as $30 for the line, $10GB per gig, with a 2 gig minimum.
  • Project Fi starts out at $30 for 1GB. It is $10 per gig of data, so in an apples to apples comparison, I get a phone line and 2GB for $50 with T-Mobile, and $40 with Fi.
Internationally, they both charge $0.20 per minute for voice calls in most countries.

Using the data

T-mobile’s 2GB (or whatever plan you spring for) refers to how much 4G LTE you get in the US before you get kicked onto the slower network. There isn’t actually a limit on your data, just on your speed. International data is also unlimited, and does not tap into the 2GB plan.

T Mobile starts at $50 with 2GB of data, international is unlimited.

Project Fi has a flat rate for their data, if you are on the 2GB plan, it counts both here in the US,and Internationally – if you go over the 2GB you pay more, but not with a penalty. However, they also rebate you for data that you don’t use. For example, if you were on a 2GB plan and used 2.5GB, you’re bill for data would be $25.

Project Fi Data Rebates

On the surface, T Mobile may sound more generous, due to the unlimited nature of it, but in reality, with Fi, you pay for what you use, to the 0.1GB and therefore it makes it cheaper.

All about the speed

An interesting point about the two networks internationally is that T Mobile tends to push you onto 128K networks (the old 2g) which are painfully slow, whereas Fi will run on 256K (3g) speeds. This is an massive change. I tried just to load Saverocity on T-mobile on 2g (the best I could often get in many places near me) and it just wouldn’t do it. I gave up after waiting minutes. On 3g, it’s a few seconds of lag.

Devices

T-Mobile has most devices available. I took an iPhone 6s for my test drive, and as I’m in a Mac ecosystem I like the idea of having that. Fi is only officially supported on 3 devices, Nexus 5x, 6 and 6p. Both companies offer a monthly payment plan.

Project Fi Data Only Sim

This is even newer than Fi.. they just released a data only sim that can be added to a broader array of devices. The forum at Fi mentions that it works with iPhones, tablets, hotspots, and some laptops, although only a fraction of those are listed as being ‘officially’ supported. At the moment, it seems you need to be on the Fi phone plan to access a data Sim, i’ll see if I can get my hands on one to test out if the phone is any good. This aspect might be a real game changer, as having iPad cellular for $10 per Gig internationally would be pretty cool.

Conclusion

On paper, Fi is superior to T Mobile, but lacks devices at this time. I’m hopeful that my Fi phone will live up to expectation, since the T Mobile phone that I bought (and am returning) really wasn’t good at all. Note if you do buy a T Mobile phone you have only 14 days to return it and exit the ‘lease’, and when you do you have to pay a $50 restocking fee.

My plan is to take the Fi phone overseas with me to test the data speeds, and if it works well keep it, likely as a backup/travel device.

For those of you like me who are fed up with AT&T and on the unlimited plan, note that they are changing the price next month by $5 which allows you to exit the plan without an Early Termination Fee (ETF).

Thanks to a number of people for helping with datapoints for this post, including Sriki on the forum for the ETF reminder, and Amol on Twitter for helping explain T Mobile.

The post Project Fi – the best plan for international travel? appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

aviator8

Level 2 Member
you are in my exact scenario. I am an ATT employee though, so my discount makes it difficult to justify leaving as my rates are too good. However, I do not get discounts on the international passport plans, which are way overpriced. When I go overseas I am left juggling 2 phones and (one unlocked to bring to find an MVNO, and my normal phone to switch back to once I arrive back in the US). This is a pain, but I deal with it. I usually find a MVNO when I arrive in my destination but this is always a pain as I have to waste time, finding one, research the plans, make sure I understand the gotchas, etc. On my last trip to Germany I had to go to 7 places before I could get a sim with calls, txt, and data. This is not how I want to spend vacation time, plus it adds stress when I need the phone to call the AIRBNB host to let them know I am almost there and have no phone to do so. On top of that whenever something does not work (ex I was given an incorrect number) All your interaction with the MVNO txt and call response are in a foreign language. I almost bought a phone for Google Fi for this last trip. Please keep us posted on how yours works as I may be going that route for future travel. I would love to be able to get into Google Fi, test it for a month, then suspend all services until I travel. I could then turn on the phone for voice and data for the month I am overseas, then go back to suspended mode. It would be about the same as a foreign MVNO, and a lot less cumbersome. I just don't want to pay $20/mo for the 10 months I don't need it.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
I have GoogleFi.

I want to love it. When it works, it works flawlessly. Switch off airplane mode when I land and within 5 minutes I have full coverage. Makes things like Uber in a foreign country so freaking easy (including when they call you to confirm and such)

But...when it doesn't work, its insanely frustrating. Turned on phone landing at Narita. Nothing. Reset phone. Nothing. Tried 10 more times. Nothing. 10 hours later, landing in Taiwan, perfect service right on landing.

Within the US, sometimes it gets funky when it can't seem to choose a network to use in low coverage areas, and if you ever want to make a phone call, it usually best to switch off wifi unless you know the speed will handle it.

sriki

Level 2 Member
From Google's website:

Our plan starts with the Fi Basics for $20 per month, which includes: unlimited domestic talk and text, unlimited international texts, ability to use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, and coverage in 120+ countries.

What does it mean to calls made while in a different country? Is that covered under the $20/mo?

EDIT:
From their faqs:
Can I call and text to another country while I'm traveling?
Yes, if you're traveling to one of the 120+ countries where we have coverage you can call and text to anywhere in the world. Unlimited international texts are included in your plan. If you're using cell coverage, calls cost 20¢ per minute. If you're calling over Wi-Fi, per-minute costs vary based on which country you're calling and you're charged only for outbound calls. Please check our international rates for more information.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
From Google's website:

Our plan starts with the Fi Basics for $20 per month, which includes: unlimited domestic talk and text, unlimited international texts, ability to use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, and coverage in 120+ countries.

What does it mean to calls made while in a different country? Is that covered under the $20/mo?
Those seem to run around 0.20/minute from what I've seen.

aviator8

Level 2 Member
What is the difference between Voice calls (non-Wi-Fi) & Voice calls over Wi-Fi?
From what I gather nothing. The only thing to be aware of is that unless the wifi speeds are reliable you may get bad voice performance. The phone is set to hop from network to network based on what it finds has he best coverage and speed. It will bounce between T Mobile, Sprint, or any open wifi. I am not sure what algorithms it uses to make the decision. Presumably while on Tmo and Sprint calls would be via normal voice like any cell, once it hops to Wifi it would switch the call to a VOIP call. This is what I take. I do not have one so don't take this for gospel.

sriki

Level 2 Member
They have different pricing for voice calls based on whether its a wifi call or not. I'm not a fan of being charged for wifi calls in 2016.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Where can you get free international wifi calls and a plan like this?
There are apps that lets someone to call for free using wifi. So, it did not need to be a paid feature. Fi plan might be better in some cases but that doesn't mean that it's above any criticism whatsoever.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There are apps that lets someone to call for free using wifi. So, it did not need to be a paid feature. Fi plan might be better in some cases but that doesn't mean that it's above any criticism whatsoever.
Calling over wifi means you call using your own number/phone/dial button. This means if you are in a no cell area you can call like you have coverage.

This is different from them saying they charge more for Skype/Hangouts/WhatsApp etc.. that's still data related calling but not what is being referred to when they say 'wifi calling'.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Calling over wifi means you call using your own number/phone/dial button. This means if you are in a no cell area you can call like you have coverage.

This is different from them saying they charge more for Skype/Hangouts/WhatsApp etc.. that's still data related calling but not what is being referred to when they say 'wifi calling'.
I understood that but it doesn't add enough value for me (having a call routed through my number instead of a complete VOIP) unless there is a significant importance to that I am missing.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I understood that but it doesn't add enough value for me (having a call routed through my number instead of a complete VOIP) unless there is a significant importance to that I am missing.
They only charge you the premium if you elect to have it routed to your number.