Product Change -> Citi Hilton (Basic) to Double Cash

knarayan

Level 2 Member
So, this rep that I spoke to agreed to make the change and I said I will call back. With the new churn procedure from Citi of one award every 18 months, is the product change considered a closure? Or should I just leave it open since it does not have an annual fee and when the 18 months are up, apply for another Citi Hilton again?

If anyone has gone through a similar process with Citi, the advise would be much appreciated.

T

TJP

Were they actually able to do the product change behind the scenes? Or do you mean you'll call them back if you want to do it?

Usually the product change with CIti is rather time intensive where they have to actually read you the change in terms. I've only done a Thank You Preferred to a Dividend, and that was eventually closed by them due to inactivity. :D

knarayan

Level 2 Member
Were they actually able to do the product change behind the scenes? Or do you mean you'll call them back if you want to do it?

Usually the product change with CIti is rather time intensive where they have to actually read you the change in terms. I've only done a Thank You Preferred to a Dividend, and that was eventually closed by them due to inactivity. :D
I called them up and they were willing to do it. However I told them I will think it over...

Aninfrequentflyer

Level 2 Member
How long have you had the Hilton? If it's close to 18 months then I'd recommend waiting. Your 18 month clock will restart when it converts.

It's also worth noting that the conversion will not occur right away. They'll make the change but it won't go into effect until 6-7 weeks into the future, in case you change your mind. So, if you're at 16+ months you could ask for the conversion if they give you a conversion date that's outside your 18 months. Then you can apply for another Hilton in the window after your 18 months is up, but before your card officially converts.

Unless you really need a 2% cash back card, I'd recommend converting to the Dividend. It nets you 5% cash back at drug stores from April-June. And since it'll be a new account you'll be able to call in for a retention bonus before then and get another 2% or even 4% bonus on top of that. Even at 5%, if you buy 12 $500 gift cards at you'll earn $300 in rewards for $71.40 in fees. It'd be hard for a Doublecash to match that.

knarayan

Level 2 Member
I have held the card for just over 7 months now. It is less about really need the 2% versus the don't need the old Hilton. I wasn't aware of the Citi Dividend card. That is pretty good to look into. Thanks for the tip

SQLvariant

Level 2 Member
There are two different Citi Hilton cards. To play it safe I think you can just sign up for the one you didn't have before, and be eligible for that bonus.

I converted my Hilton card to a CDC back at the beginning of last year, but I haven't needed any more Hilton points yet. At this point I will just wait out the 6 more months and then I might get it again; not really sure though since Marriott & SPG are merging, I think I have better options ahead of me.

PghRocks

Just talked to Citi the other day about a product change, tried to change a AA Gold into a Dividend

Was told that Product Changes are only available once the account has been open for 12 months

(this is also Chase's rule, per secured message reply I received last week)

I ended up changing a TY Preferred into a Dividend as the AA gold was not at least 12 months old