Pro Tip – how to delete DMs on Twitter

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

You might find it handy to delete your DM chain on twitter from time to time. I found it quite hard to do on a mobile device, but via the desktop it was pretty straightforward.

Deleting Conversations

As you can see, this sets us up for a much cleaner interface, which helps facilitate discussion of future favors and upgrades.

A clean slate

Cheers.

The post Pro Tip – how to delete DMs on Twitter appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

SOC 787

Flight Club
not sure how this matters. just because you've deleted the convo on your end, doesnt mean its deleted on their end or that they cant read your previously sent msges anymore.

maybe I'm mistaken. but thats how these IM/PM/DM platforms work, they are user-side, not server-side and thus cant be deleted fully.

all you've done here is deleted your snapshot of the convo. but it still exists in twitters database (and more importantly in Hyatts inbox) ... another example is when you send an email, after its rcvd, even if you delete your copy of the email, doesnt mean the recipients copy is also deleted. or that they cant view your email anymore.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
not sure how this matters. just because you've deleted the convo on your end, doesnt mean its deleted on their end or that they cant read your previously sent msges anymore.

maybe I'm mistaken. but thats how these IM/PM/DM platforms work, they are user-side, not server-side and thus cant be deleted fully.

all you've done here is deleted your snapshot of the convo. but it still exists in twitters database (and more importantly in Hyatts inbox) ... another example is when you send an email, after its rcvd, even if you delete your copy of the email, doesnt mean the recipients copy is also deleted. or that they cant view your email anymore.
Well, that brings up a broader point of psychology - does it really matter?

For example, if you read what you said and regret it/find it difficult to continue the conversation does that change what you do next? In my case, does that mean that I don't ask for a pretty reasonable request for fear of confrontation? Ultimately, even if the conversation did delete on their side too, there is no guarantee that you wouldn't be talking with the same CSR you previously got annoyed with - but should that change your request today?

Typically, I don't get annoyed when dealing with people, this was one exception because of the way that Hyatt was blatantly making up rules for the Diamond status match (which despite that chain I still went on to get). The reason I don't get annoyed is that it can later frame the conversation, and offers no value to me.

It really is all about framing of your mindset (and the situation) for the optimum resolution.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I was just wondering about this recently. As for whether it's only deleted on your side, it's not hard to test. Just have a convo with a dummy account and see if it's gone from both sides. I'll test it when I care about it again.

SOC 787

Flight Club
Well, that brings up a broader point of psychology - does it really matter?

For example, if you read what you said and regret it/find it difficult to continue the conversation does that change what you do next? In my case, does that mean that I don't ask for a pretty reasonable request for fear of confrontation? Ultimately, even if the conversation did delete on their side too, there is no guarantee that you wouldn't be talking with the same CSR you previously got annoyed with - but should that change your request today?

Typically, I don't get annoyed when dealing with people, this was one exception because of the way that Hyatt was blatantly making up rules for the Diamond status match (which despite that chain I still went on to get). The reason I don't get annoyed is that it can later frame the conversation, and offers no value to me.

It really is all about framing of your mindset (and the situation) for the optimum resolution.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but lemme venture a guess: you're concerned about how YOU feel about the past convo and didn't wanna see it when you started this new convo/request? that's perfectly fine and understandable.

I was just pointing out that you didn't really delete any DMs (the way you might have intended w/this article.) also psychology aside, Hyatt or any given service provider isn't gonna treat you differently, based on a past Twitter DM convo. I mean if they're professional and everything. that's why the ans to your first Q: it doesn't matter if its deleted or not. and thus wouldn't change my next interaction/request with a faceless corporation :)

p.s. even if it was the same CSR replying to you, they get 1000s of requests week in and week out. dont think you were that memorable enough to stand out and for them to remember you specifically ;)

lastly, completely agree w/how badly Hyatt handled that promo. I pushed back 3 times for being matched, denied the first 2 times. still waiting for a response after the 3rd try, always gotta #GoForBroke ... BTW, how did you convince em to change their decision? or how exactly did you get em to eventually match you?

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but lemme venture a guess: you're concerned about how YOU feel about the past convo and didn't wanna see it when you started this new convo/request? that's perfectly fine and understandable.
Exactly

also psychology aside, Hyatt or any given service provider isn't gonna treat you differently, based on a past Twitter DM convo.
I disagree. Two people can get very different outcomes from a situation based on how they handle it. This is actually a perfect example of this concept in action. In generally, I tend to bat way above average in terms of getting things like that.

BTW, how did you convince em to change their decision?
I didn't get them to change their decision, that would be a battle.

I just ignored it and asked again.

SOC 787

Flight Club
Two people can get very different outcomes from a situation based on how they handle it.

This is actually a perfect example of this concept in action. In generally, I tend to bat way above average in terms of getting things like that.

I just ignored it and asked again.
handle what exactly? how you feel about a situation going into it? sure. but its incredible just deleting a convo (on your end) would change your mood that much - and instantly to boot. but kudos, whatever works to control ones psyche!

getting things like??

nice, did you use an actual top tier elite status to match, or just something like SPG/Hilton Gold etc?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
handle what exactly? how you feel about a situation going into it? sure. but its incredible just deleting a convo (on your end) would change your mood that much - and instantly to boot. but kudos, whatever works to control ones psyche!

getting things like??

nice, did you use an actual top tier elite status to match, or just something like SPG/Hilton Gold etc?
Getting things either that you shouldn't necessarily get, or that you may or may not get based upon the manner in which you handle the situation.

I never go by the rules of the quid pro quo arrangement, or allow terms to frame my outcome. Examples of this can range from getting fees waived when they shouldn't be, getting upgraded, getting cash (IE closing a binary deal, win/lose) getting 'the girl'. It's all the same stuff.

I truly believe that psyche is everything. I was just writing a post (that I may or may not publish) talking about my old days working on commission, where a single phone call can make the difference between earning $100K and zero. You can't just make a call like that without thinking about how it can be influenced, especially by the manner in which you can handle it. I found those principals were consistent with everything in life, so do apply them constantly.

I matched to SPG/Hilton Gold.

SOC 787

Flight Club
nice, we think a lot more alike. I recently got AA to reduce and then finally waive my close in ticketing fee. as you know I flew a lot towards the end of last year and most of that was booked much closer to departure when space usually tended to open up. I havent been an AA elite in over a year now. but one day I happened to find a super nice AAgent, very willing and apparently had a nice manager to get approval from. also got upgraded at the Caesars Palace at one of the most busiest times of the year when I was there for NYE w/my girl! and had a great time there.

anyways, in my previous attempts w/Hyatt I tried matching from SPG/Hilton Gold as well. once over twitter (1st try), they wouldnt honor, said needed to be SPG Plat. I ignored it and contacted GP via email. once again they declined saying only SPG Plat. ignored it, emailed em again, they said they arent running any tier match promos right now LOL. so def ignored that and emailed em again after a cpl days!